Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok- what exactly is a tactical pen?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper715 View Post
    Now that's a tactical pen I could get behind!
    Better than in front of. (though that might be debatable.)

If I was going to carry that, and remove any possibility of arguing about my having a concealed weapon, I think I'd just opt for a regular pistol.

Unless I was Bond, James Bond.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas

No such thing as a ''Tactical Pen". Tactical refers to actions (tactics) not items (unless you are referring to bombardment- ie. tactical nuke). What is refered to as a tactical pen is in fact a REINFORCED pen that can be used as a kubotan or a stabbing implement. Sometimes they have built in glass breakers...basically a tough a@@ed pen. I have 25 different ones as I was trying them out. They were given to me or I bought them. I do not have money to waste but people ask me about them for multi duty work and I wanted to know (I teach people that want to learn kubotan work). Look for something no more than 20 bucks or so and made how you like it- there are many to choose from and most of them are t3 or t6 aluminum and will be sturdy enough for any desk job. TSA is not very concerned with them so you can take them on a plane no problem as well as most other places. Anything with a blade or especially one that is a zip gun is verbotten everywhere and not CCW legal. I like well made writing instruments. Most of them use fisher refills or parker ones and those are pretty good.

Any good, sturdy made pen can work as a kubotan so you don't have to go out of your way to get one. Ones like the Benchmade and others I find way overpriced for what they are. Although, there are those that spend hundreds on a Montblanc or something so I can't say.

The origional bic stick pens made in the USA with the brass tips (that they shot into plywood from a gun in commercials) used to be my favorite edc pen. They were cheap and tough as anything less a steel body pen of the day. They wrote well too.

I have always been of the mindset that the most dangerous weapon is the mind. What the mind can make in an emergency is what will become the weapon of the moment. I could use a pencil and a piece of paper to my advantage in a fight to the death. It has to do with HOW (tactics) it is used. So there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper715 View Post
    My favorite tactical pen the Zebra 701. Writes great is cheap and plenty sturdy for "hard use".
    +1 for the Zebra. Steel barrel, best writing pen I've ever owned, WAY better than the more expensive ones, and cheap enough that you don't mind if you lose one. Sometimes you can find them in bulk at a Sam's or Costco.

Gen 27:3 Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow-and go out into the fields and hunt some wild game.

Ask this guy.
    Bettcha he knows.

First and foremost, it's a weapon.

That also writes!

If you live in the UK, simply being in possession of one is an arrestable offense, and you face prosecution for being in possession of an offensive weapon.

Clever marketing to the gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogsHunt View Post
    Ask this guy.
    Bettcha he knows.
    Not only will he shoot & kill you, he'll eat you too...

Quote Originally Posted by AeroNautiCal View Post
    First and foremost, it's a weapon.

That also writes!
    Much as a baseball bat is a weapon that also hits balls.

If you live in the UK, simply being in possession of one is an arrestable offense, and you face prosecution for being in possession of an offensive weapon.

Clever marketing to the gullible.
    Which makes the marketing less than clever.
    Hard to say in court that it is "just a pen" when it is advertised as "tactical" or "weapon".

Quote Originally Posted by Alann45 View Post
    Which makes the marketing less than clever.
    Hard to say in court that it is "just a pen" when it is advertised as "tactical" or "weapon".

I was surprised to see that one very well known UK trader has 21 different 'Tactical Pens' on sale, so presumably there's a good market for them, despite their illegality here!

It's a fad. Anything with the word "tactical" in its title... is a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufler View Post
    It's a fad. Anything with the word "tactical" in its title... is a fad.
    Might be true for the pens.
    On one hand I get the tactical description of a pen, on the other it seems kind of silly.
    We've gotten some ridiculous looking pens, others absurdly overpriced, and a few extremely well made, sturdy pens for whatever you want to do with them.

Most definitions of the term FAD have something like this in them:
    A fad is something that people are interested in for a short period of time

"Tactical" has been used to describe gear (and knives) long enough it may be past the fad stage.
    Pens are a bit more recent, but still approaching several years now.

Who knows. 10 years from now we may look back and wonder what the heck were we thinking.

I dont think of em so much as tactical, as over built. Unlike 511 tac pants for an office worker, they make a lot of sense for someone who works in an office and uses a pen frequently.

I had an original SF I got as a present. I used the heck out of it. I now use a stainless Embassy Pen and a Fischer for camping. I loved the SF because you could use different cartridges. The Embassy and Fischers obviously not. Depending on the particular pen, I dont think they are so silly. I've used $500+ Monte Blancs and Watermans and Duponts most of them are made out of resins and plastics and the body of the pen does not seem worth price.

I'd just as soon be using a solid feeling "tactical" pen of some sort... If someone just started making excellent writing fischer sized refills id be happy.

Here is the Pentel P205 tactical Pencil. 0.5mm precision graphite loaded. Hardened ABS housing and a steel point that can drive right through an eyeball or down the ear canal. The P205 has been discontinued but I might be willing to part with this one for around $80.

Tactical Pencil by GermoneGold, on Flickr

I always thought they had ninja juice for ink, and then it dissapears, right? you mean I can fight with these?

I have never seen the benefit of a tactical pen over a normal pen. I always carry Uniball fine point pen. It's pointy and writes well and I have a cup full of them if I lose it or ditch it and it doesn't raise eyebrows. Likewise, I don't get the need for a kubaton when I can use a flashlight for the same thing and it is dual use. A hammer works better than knucks in my opinion and are 10 times more legal. Though in these choices I may be in the minority.

I think any pen would work in a pinch. I recall someone being attacked with an ordinary clear plastic Bic pen. The resulting shards of shattered plastic were embedded in the attacker's throat. That sounds nasty and painful.

I happen to just like pens, a lot... I collect fountain pens in fact, Not tacticool ones. Don't own even one.

If you drop 'em (fountain pens) or bang 'em they don't write worth a damn, but they're still holding a pointy metal bit... And if you treat 'em write () they write better than enything else.

I don't see why you'd ever buy a very expensive tactical pen they writes no diffferently than a $0.25 one...

The right tool for the job, thats why I like knives that cut, , pens that write, etc..
    I like using knives.
    Looking for: Super Steel Users, 3"- 6" Fixed blades, or folders. Benchmade 710 "project knife" well used/abused ok

Last edited by shunsui; 06-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information