Thread: question about the brass bolsters on buck 110

question about the brass bolsters on buck 110

ADVERTISEMENT
    hello guys, i have always wanted to start a small collection of the buck 110's because they are so darn beautiful. the funny thing is i have never even handled a buck knife yet. this is where you guys come in .the bolsters are made of brass. which i know that they will tarnish when reacting with air. now, i am worried about the brass smell because i am really sensitive to it and i really despise it! there is no way i will be able to cut meat, or handle food with the knife for that matter because it will undoubtedly ruin the taste. so, my question to you is, does the brass stink that much and rub off on your hand after handling, or is it not an issue? i came up short when looking for an answer. most buck 110 users didn't mention the brass bolster having problematic smell in this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...62870-buck-110 .

just wanted to be sure and thanks for your time

It doesn't get bad enough to rub off on your hands. I have one from the early 70's(?) It was my dads and it's always been kept in its leather sheath. So it is tarnished, and it does smell a little bit. However like I said.... It's definitely not bad enough to "rub off on anything".

I have never heard of that before. I have never had an occasion to want to smell the brass but I have handled them and it never rubbed off so much that it was off putting.
    BCCI LIFE MEMBER #2113

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." --Patrick Henry

I am just hip shooting here, tell him about 110s with nickle bolsters........what about waxing the brass ?. Check the 110s with paperstone scales and check out the old Bucklites........ Heck, a WHOLE lot of folders of all kinds have brass liners......BUT, Ahha (I am not flag waving) many of the smaller Buck folders are all stainless steel and nickle, (drum roll please) especially the newer 300 series........

300Bucks

Great suggestion Craig
    BCCI LIFE MEMBER #2113

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." --Patrick Henry

You obviously have a great sensitivity to the smell and taste of brass.

I have never noticed any smell except from the green verdigris left on the brass after a long time in the sheath.

They shouldn't be kept in the sheath anyhow, so that is not a normal situation.

What we call nickel silver is still brass, just a different mixture that may smell different.

So......my answer is I don't know.

I carry a 112 all the time I don't notice any odor,300 is right about the nickel and it looks really classy.There is a Premium metal polish at auto parts stores here in BC that smells like coconut. I assumeit is available all over north america. I don't know if I am allowed to use abrand name on this site but it comes in a small jar . Should'nt be hard to find.

I've never noticed any smell from the 110 brass, or any other brass. The leather sheath is quite fragrant, though.

Brass sure has an odor to it, that odor transfers to you hands also. If you wash your hands the odor is gone. I use my 110 to cut meat often and have never had a metallic taste transfer to the food ever. But, if you are one of those weirdo types and lick the brass on a 110 I'm sure it would leave a metallic taste in your mouth
    jb4570

I am getting mixed answers here. hehehe.. some say it has some odor, while others say it has no odor at all! the only way to know for sure is to get one for myself. either way, it's a win win situation for me because it's an american classic.

thanks for all the inputs, guys! appreciate it greatly

p.s by the way, i knew there are alternatives but i wanted to start off with the original one and go from there.

There is nothing that says you can't take a brush and hot soapy water to it. Maybe a little 3n1 on the pivots afterwards. One or two of mine have even been through the dishwasher.

If you know exactly how many knives and guns you have, then you don't have enough!

BCCI Life, NRA Life Endowment, TSRA Life Benefactor

Oil the brass bolsters with something good lke breakfree lube(not the clp) or corrosion x then wrap in wax paper and store in the sheath until ready to use. The wax paper will keep the leather from tarnishing it and causing verdigris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroplating

Why not try this at home: Vinegar bath, nine volt batteries in series, anode silver coin and cathode buck knife. Deposit thin coating of silver onto brass in order to prevent irritating smell, taste or substance transfer to your skin.

I have a terrific DC power supply, that I use for titanium embellishment, wires, vinegar and a silver coin that I think I will employ just to put my money where my mouth is. Now, which candidate knife will volunteer for Frankenknife experiment...

Or, as an alternative, you could try this: Protectaclear.

Or maybe this?

Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
    Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
    Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
    Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
    Liver of blaspheming Jew;
    Gall of goat, and slips of yew
    Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
    Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
    Finger of birth-strangled babe
    Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
    Make the gruel thick and slab:
    Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
    For the ingrediants of our caldron.
    ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

LOL. Nose of Turk. I resemble that remark!

I can smell the brass on the forged handels but the sintered brass I dont notice so much. None of it comes off on my hand on any model.
    Last edited by imafritz; 06-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.

West of the Mississippi, South of the Missouri and North of the Meramec
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Bucks View Post
    I am just hip shooting here, tell him about 110s with nickle bolsters........what about waxing the brass ?. Check the 110s with paperstone scales and check out the old Bucklites........ Heck, a WHOLE lot of folders of all kinds have brass liners......BUT, Ahha (I am not flag waving) many of the smaller Buck folders are all stainless steel and nickle, (drum roll please) especially the newer 300 series........
    300Bucks
    Uhh......nickel silver is a type of brass too.........

Brass doesn't really have a smell. And it takes a while to tarnish, if you keep it relatively clean. Just wipe it down if you get it messy.
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

this is going to sound really strange to some, but try coating the bolsters in chapstick. it should keep the brass untarnished and unsmelly for a short time at least.

Thread Information