Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEC #79 Montana whittler first impressions**pic heavy**

GEC #79 Montana whittler first impressions**pic heavy**

ADVERTISEMENT
    It arrived in the mail today. My new edc is everything I was hoping for. A few pics...

And here are two that show how well the finger choil area works when using one of the smaller blades

The knife came in the tube, wrapped in wax paper. Upon opening the paper an oily smell hit my nose, the knife smelled like metal shop class from years past. Instant nostalgia. Fit and finish is spot on. a few spots have the tiniest gaps to the liner, nothing big at all. All three blades pop hair off my arm with ease and the grinds are impeccable. The main blade is stout, giving confidence in use. The secondary blades are very thin. Exactly what one wants for detail work such as carving or making paper/cardboard templates for instance. I plan on using it tomorrow around the house for daily tasks, I will report back after a bit of use. It feels great in hand and feel I could cut with any of the blades all day long. Great job Great Eastern Cutlery, I am proud to put this in my pocket!

Jeff

Thanks for the review and pics, Jeff! Those are the first homegrown photos that I've seen of the pattern.

Looks great!
    Rick T.

I really like the GEC canvas micarta scales.

What are the blade lengths?

The knife looks good. What made you go for the micarta vs. say, the Ebony?
    ED

Thanks guys. Main blade is 2 5/8 tip to tang with 2 7/16 usable. Secondairys are 2 3/8 tip to tang with 2 3/16 usable.

I picked micarta because I really enjoyed the fresh new look of it. I also assumed it would be a little rough for added grip. I might bead blast it to give it more bite. Have not decided yet.

Ohhhhhh....Ahhhhhhhh! Your pictures really make this knife look ...ooooo so fine. Thanks for the review.

Thanks. I've already got two on order (Northfield Ruby Red Bone and Tidioute Red Dawn Bone) but have been thinking about ordering another - maybe with ebony covers. Hadn't considered the roughness you mentioned that might come along with the micarta. Thanks for planting that idea in my head. Worth considering.

It looks like each of the blades of your knife have an ever so slight swedge ground in them - just a touch.

Also, everyone has been calling the 3rd blade a Wharncliffe but it looks to me as if it is closer to a Sheepsfoot. What say you?
    ED

Those fotos really show the quality of GEC work. Those blades have that precision machined look and the hand fit finish. Thanks for the fotos of the choil area. That's a nice detail.

Mr. Ed, the micarta comes polished smooth from the factory. Still deciding if I want to rough it up, a little use and I should be able to answer that.

All three blades have a very nice swedge grind. I find them very pleasing to the eye and the hand.

I dont want to call it a sheepsfoot, I think it has a little too much angle. I also think its not dramatic enough of a slope to be a true wharnie. Im going to dub it the whoot or maybe the wheet? You will soon find out how good those blade swedges and grinds feel to your index finger when you choke up to detail something. Ive been out messing around in the garage with it. Still no complaints.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I knew the micarta was smooth from the manufacture but I like your idea of roughing it up somewhat.

The reason I asked about the swedges is that GEC does not normally put a swedge on any of the blades on their Tidioute brand knives - watch someone correct me on this but I don't have any Tidioute brand knives with a swedged blade.

That micarta does look appealing. Now I've got an issue with ordering the ebony or micarta. Oh well, that's my problem.

Keep us informed about your adventures with your new knife.
    ED

Thanks for the great review! That micarta looks fantastic. How does it ride in the pocket? Do you notice a girth difference compared to say a two blad 73 or some other sort of knife of similar length? Thanks again, and congratulations on a happy purchase!

My vote would go to micarta Ed

CB-R, Cant really compare it to much as I am really just getting into more traditional knives. This is my first purchase of a slippie in almost 20 years. That knife happens to be a camillus scout whittler. pretty much a 3 1/2 inch medium stockman. The 79 is just way more stout. that querter inch in length combined with the bigger girth adds up to a much heftier knife. I would not want to wear it in my gym shorts around the house.

Good review Jeff and nice knife! GEC is really offering up some nice whittler patterns in my humble openion right now!

Thank you for review, Jeff!

That knife seems to be great for EDC tasks. I think, that´s on my "want-to-have-list"...

Kind regards
    Andi

Often with polished micarta, roughing it s unnecessary. Try rinsing it with rubbing alcohol first. I've found that usually removes all of the buffing compound are reveals the micarta grain.

Thanks gentlemen.

Thanks for the tip Sam....any chance denatered alcohol would work? Got some of that handy

Denatured alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is usually a good replacement for Rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol) when it comes to solvency.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

18. ...but only one is good with orange juice.

Nice photos, Jeff. The micarta does look good.

Denatured is no bueno for drinking. It has added toxic compounds to make it poisonous.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

20. You're right, Frank. I was thinking of the EtOH alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information