Thread: 0350 Stripped Screw

0350 Stripped Screw

ADVERTISEMENT
    I de-assisted my 0350 earlier today, and when I was putting it all back together I managed to strip the last body screw. I need advice on how to drive the screw in about another 1/32". I've already searched around the forums and I've tried the hammer trick and the rubber band trick. Any other tips? Thanks!

What's stripped? The threads or the head?

"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"
    -A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by sticktodrum View Post
    What's stripped? The threads or the head?
    The head is stripped.

I think it would be more prudent to not drive the stripped screw further, as it would be an issue if you ever needed to disassemble the knife in the future. I would personally back it out via pliers or a screw extractor, but maybe sending it to ZT would yield a new screw installed on the blade.

"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"
    -A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

I would call customer service and have them send you some new screws. Then, while I was waiting, I would go online and buy Wiha brand T6 and T8 torx wrenches. Most of the stripped screws I hear about are the result of using the cheap torx wrenches from the hardware store. Remove the old screw by grabbing the sides of the head with needlenose pliers and turning. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer_5 View Post
    I would call customer service and have them send you some new screws. Then, while I was waiting, I would go online and buy Wiha brand T6 and T8 torx wrenches. Most of the stripped screws I hear about are the result of using the cheap torx wrenches from the hardware store. Remove the old screw by grabbing the sides of the head with needlenose pliers and turning. Good luck!
    How could using cheap torx drivers strip the heads of screws?

-orangish ducktape

Quote Originally Posted by orangish ducktape View Post
    How could using cheap torx drivers strip the heads of screws?

-orangish ducktape
    Was that a serious question or are you being smart? "Cheap" tools are just that, made cheaply and often with inferior materials or sizing. A Wiha driver will probably be ground to a more precise size than a driver you got for .50 at the dollar store.

If that does not work give me a hollar, I'm in garner and have new screws and a quality driver set.

Quote Originally Posted by OvalmanPA View Post
    Was that a serious question or are you being smart? "Cheap" tools are just that, made cheaply and often with inferior materials or sizing. A Wiha driver will probably be ground to a more precise size than a driver you got for .50 at the dollar store.
    I still don't get it. Wouldn't a cheap driver use a softer steel then the screw? If it has a softer steel then I would assume that the screw would strip the driver, not the other way around.

-orangish ducktape
    Last edited by jimmer_5; 06-19-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: my mistake, trying to reply

I sent ZT Customer Service an e-mail, if they don't get back to me soon I'll probably see if turk can work me out a deal. I would prefer that this knife gets "fixed" before I bring it camping for two weeks. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by orangish ducktape View Post
    I still don't get it. Wouldn't a cheap driver use a softer steel then the screw? If it has a softer steel then I would assume that the screw would strip the driver, not the other way around.

-orangish ducktape
    Ducktape, the cheap torx tools are often imprecise, and being too large or small is one of the chief reasons that people strip out screw heads. They also tend to be softer than a good tool, so the splines wear out quickly. As they wear the fit gets worse. You will rarely ever strip a screw with high quality torx drivers (unless you use too much locktite).

Just lemme know, I have an 0300 and a ton of parts/screws/etc. Always cool to meet another knife dude anyway..

Just like using the wrong size Phillips head driver will strip out a screw head. Cheap drivers are often out of spec and will round out the head. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean soft. It can also mean poorly formed.

Just an update:

I called Kershaw and it's all covered under warranty, they'll be shipping me out some screws as soon as they can. The gentleman on the phone was very nice and understood exactly what I needed. I also went out and bought a better torx set because I don't want this to happen again.

Thread Information