Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: great EDC blades under $40.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Kershaw value line. There is something there for everyone....

-orangish ducktape

Spyderco Tenacious. I got a Resilience, and if the big one is thia good, smaller Tenacious can't be other than equal or better.

+1 for the Kershaw Skyline.
    "The coward believes he will live forever, If he holds back in the battle, But in old age he shall have no peace, Though spears have spared his limbs". Odin, Havamal Verse 16

Order of The Black Shamrock #3

Spyderco Tenacious is excellent.
    As well as the Kershaw Skyline.

Another to look at .. add about $10 to your budget, and you can get a Spyderco Native. Fits the hand like a glove, durable thick FRN handles, s30v steel, 7" overall so perfect EDC size, is a workhorse.

I started all this with a Spyderco Persistence. (high polish bling shot!)

Then I was a Spyderco whore for a while. Eventually ending with a Cat. A little out of your price range.

Finally, I got wore out with Spyderco and stumbled upon a Cold Steel? What!? Yeah a Cold Steel. I bought it to test the shape, but it rocks. Tuff Lite, NOT the mini.
    The one in the middle. (Top: Native 5, Tuff Lite, Persistence)

buck vantage. very good knives at a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
    buck vantage. very good knives at a very good price.

SRM710 plus, with some smart shopping a Vic Farmer and Vic Classic....there are THREE good EDCs for $40!

Also the mentioned Enlan EL02 is a nice sub 20$ 3.5" blade with micarta handle.

The Spyderco Byrd line is also pretty good too.
    I find that it is worth the extra cash (10-20 $)to just get the spyderco . way better built.

Cold steel small voyager

Quote Originally Posted by Alann45 View Post
    My usual answer is Tenacious or RAT-1, both good choices with my vote going to the Tenacious for overall value.
    I've been EDC'ing my Tenacious for a good while now, and really like it, but I just took delivery a couple of hours ago of an Ontario RAT-1 and can already tell this is a knife I am going to use often as well and enjoy the experience. Either is great for what you are looking for.

I've been carrying a CRKT M16-10Z as my EDC blade since March and I love it.

A G Russell Rancher or Cowboy slipjoint.

ive said it before and i'll say it again every time a sub $50 knife thread pops up... the kabar bob dozier phat bob ($45+-, just a couple bucks more than the op's $40 )
    dont let the polished brownish green micarta scales scare you away. i understand it looks more like a phat turd out of box but with a little 80grit sandpaper it really changes the look and more importantly the feel of the knife. cant get any closer to one of bobs customs than this. detent is very good, thumb flicks open fast and very smooth. the hollow grind on it is amazing, its an outstanding slicer cutting like a laser. not sure what else there is to say other than BUY ONE!!!

282695_10150885626210458_1546658385_n.jpg

IMO, the Kershaw budget knives exceed the Spyderco budget knives in almost every way.

The $25 Kershaw Tremor is, by far, the best value knife I've ever come across. It's almost a little too large for comfortable edc, but it carries just fine.

I have a RAT 1- Kershaw Blur- and a Sanrenmu 710. All are wonderful knives for $30 ish. The RAT 1 is my 'go to' knife. It is bigger, but rides well and the AUS 8 steel is a bonus!!
    "Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiofspam View Post
    ive said it before and i'll say it again every time a sub $50 knife thread pops up... the kabar bob dozier phat bob ($45+-, just a couple bucks more than the op's $40 )
    dont let the polished brownish green micarta scales scare you away. i understand it looks more like a phat turd out of box but with a little 80grit sandpaper it really changes the look and more importantly the feel of the knife. cant get any closer to one of bobs customs than this. detent is very good, thumb flicks open fast and very smooth. the hollow grind on it is amazing, its an outstanding slicer cutting like a laser. not sure what else there is to say other than BUY ONE!!!
    Agree 100%
    I mentioned up this thread I had just added it to my list of sub $50 recommendations, but you added the reasons as I should have, thanks.

I wasn't expecting a lot when I ordered it, but was pleasantly surprised and impressed with it when it showed up.
    The slabs aint going to win any beauty contests, but dang if it doesn't feel good in the hand.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas

CRKT Aluminum Ripple. $30-$40, IKBS flipper, thin blade, 2.3 oz weight with a 3.125" blade. I have two now, (the walmart version and the mass release version, they are slightly different). They compete with my $100 dollar knives for pocket time.

Last edited by bobusx; 06-24-2012 at 11:11 AM.

East of the Mississippi, below the Mason-Dixon Line
    Quote Originally Posted by solidorange View Post
    check out the budget kershaws(brawler, chill, clash, nerve, oso sweet, rjII, scamp, volt II, etc). their price to quality ratio is some of the best on the market.
    I agree. Can't go wrong with any of Kershaw's low cost EDC folders. Great bang for the buck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information