Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Knife For the Price

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by kurec View Post
    Buck 110 with CPM 154 when it was $35 on Buck Web Special
    I can agree with the above. Bos treated CPM154 is a thing to be reckoned with.

Smith & Wesson bullseye Extreme Ops 4.2 inch.jpgI'm a big fan of auto knives but the biggest bang for the buck I have found were in some of the Smith and Wessons Extreme Ops folders that can be found between $10-$20 with good 440C stainless steel titanium coated blades, aluminum scales or stainless steel handles with G-10 inlays and with a sheath. I have carried a Bullseye model that I think I only paid about $15. I drag it around the property for general cutting and whacking. It is a big heavy folder that holds a good edge on a 4+" length blade. It opens fairly easily and locks up good. Better knives around, you bet. But for $10-15? Here is a You-Tube I found of some of the S&W blades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-U9...eature=related

The Kershaw Storm 2 is also an excellent value with all the characteristics of the Vantage Select I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1337 View Post
    Spyderco Native, pretty simple design with FRN handle and lockback but it is a AMAZING knife and it uses S30v for the steel and its made in the USA (unlike other cheaper spyderco's).

+1 vote for the FRN Native.

Just picked one up used (paint rubbed off edges of clip) in the BF Exchange for $40 with the factory edge still on it. Hard to beat that.

If you've never held one, you should. Fits the hand really well - very comfortable and natural. Ergo the name.

~ Edge

Another vote for the native! The only downs are the pocket clip that rides high and the pin together construction that keep you from taking it apart to clean it.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    -Sigmund Freud

SF Bay Area, CA. SpyderNation # 390. Beckerhead # 305.
    Did you say Folder?
    If not, I say Becker BK-16!

RAT-1 is a sick knife for the money and is my favorite inexpensive folder.

Native 1 is also very good but pin construction worries me a little, the trade off is that it is made with s30V steel which is better then the AUS-8 steel that the RAT-1 is made from. However both of these knives have plastic handles which are not very grippy. Some might prefer something like a spyderco tenacious because it is a good beater knife with a nice grippy handle. Many good options out there really.

If you only have $20 to blow, the Kabar Dozier is a serviceable EDC knife. Hollow ground AUS-8A, 2-way clip, lockback with Zytel. I keep one in my Man Sack in case my regular EDC knife disappears, and its cheap enough to give away. Its more of an "I only have $20 to spend" knife, but probably falls short in the "greatest knife for the price" genre. Still its one to consider.

For me, the greatest pocket knife for the price has to be my most carried and used EDC... the Victorinox Tinker. Actually, any SAK would fit into the category--excellent quality, extremely affordable, super-handy and easy to replace.

Other great bang-for-buck folders I have (and continue to use and carry) include the: Ontario RAT-1, Svord Peasant, Case Sod Buster, a few Rough Rider slippies... and virtually every Spyderco I've ever bought!

Mora and Opinel. Pocket change for a serviceable knife with good steels that will last a lifetime if cared for. Peasant knives, affordable to everyone.
    SAKs, the right SAK is a lifesaver, and they're cheap. Every human being should have a Classic or Ramber on them at all times. Actually, make the SAK my first choice, especially with Ebay. I got my Compact for $3 shipped, and my Ramber for $2.

Kershaw Skyline

Greatest knife for the price? That's an easy one. The Victorinox Swiss army knife!
    "Knife Enthusiast"

Gonna go with my favorite <$30 dollar beater, the humble Douk Douk, this thing laughs at work, has a ridiculously easy to sharpen blade, cuts like a lazer and could probably be carried comfortably in a pair of boxers.
    “You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains.”
    HST 1937-2005

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle View Post
    There are many contenders, and what constitutes "best" is highly subjective, but my vote might be the Ontario Rat-1. AUS-8, FFG, open pillar construction, built tough, sized (in my view) to fit most hands, 4-way clip, flicks open like butter and shipped to your mailbox for $30 or less.

+1 for the OKC Rat 1. I have Sanrenmu to Busse in my collection and this one is still a favorite. I have two, one plain and one serrated. They both fly open and get hair popping sharp. This is the best AUS 8 steel heat treat I have ever experienced. Unfortunately, I have had some dissapointing AUS 8 from other manufacturers. No worries here though.

Unklfranco

As APF stated those "web special" 154CM 110s were a steal given that people were giving like 75 plus dollars for them when Bass Pro sold them with their logo on them. Opinel also makes a grand folder that happens to be in the sub 10 dollar price range. I EDC an Opinel 06 for lighter task just about every day.

Enlan EL-01

$12

I would have to add Matt Diskin's little Volcan flipper to this list. I am not a big folder or flipper guy and it does have an AUS-8 blade, but for $25 MOL, it is one nice little knife. I bought one at Blade this year for my brother.

What a great time to be a knife fan, huh? I can't even make up my mind!

hi.
    Sanrenmu 710 or 605.
    As good as any USA knives made in China but a lot more cheap ;-)

CRKT Aluminum Ripple. $30, IKBS, nice machining. Light, fast, and a good size to EDC. Not to mention really, really unique looking. That is the knife in my collection that everyone asks to see and play with. So good I got two now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information