Thread: I want to start sharpening my own Emerson knives, what tools do I need for the job?

I want to start sharpening my own Emerson knives, what tools do I need for the job?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello,

So I want to start sharpening my own Emersons and was just confused on what exactly I needed to get.. Sharpening with the rod looks easy enough but does anybody have one that they can recommend? I am looking at the one on Emerson's website and just wanted to see what else was out there. If those do-it-yourself types could post what setup they actually have for their knives, it would be great. Tips for a newbie would be more than welcome.

I own a MiniCom, Mini 15, and 7 so I am not looking forward to the recurves and tantos lol.

Well i have the Edge Pro Apex http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model...Pro-System-c3/ and the Wicked Edge http://www.wickededgeusa.com/ and with time and practice I can get a nice edge going but I doubt you want to "practice" on your Emersons

But honestly I would abandon both of those sharpeners for the $70 Work Sharp from Darex http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    That is the best designed tool I've seen in a long time. Produces a perfect convex edge without removing any more stock than you wish. How in the world do you beat that for $70. This thing is so easy to use my kids are sharpening the kitchen knives. You cannot go wrong with this piece.

BTW. I would sell or trade the other two in a heartbeat

Best of luck.

f

Just follow Ernie's words in the FAQ and you'll realise that it is as simple as he says.

It's not difficult to sharpen by hand a blunt knife to shaving sharp in a few minutes. If it's a recurve, use a rod if it's straight or upswept, use a flat stone. Start coarse and go fine.

Practise, practise, practise.

Have fun and don't waste your money on systems as you'll learn fook all.

Take care,

Ben

I have had great success with an inexpensive ceramic sharpening rod.

Quote Originally Posted by avphred View Post
    But honestly I would abandon both of those sharpeners for the $70 Work Sharp from Darex http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    That is the best designed tool I've seen in a long time. Produces a perfect convex edge without removing any more stock than you wish. How in the world do you beat that for $70. This thing is so easy to use my kids are sharpening the kitchen knives. You cannot go wrong with this piece.
    Don't waste your money on this thing. It does a lousy job with a chisel edge, and the "guide" will scratch the hell out of the side of the blade. Worst $70 I ever spent.

For me the Work Sharp does a good job. Not sure how well it would work on a chisel grind. I also have good luck with a Sharp Maker. I would like to take my sharpening to the next level, but these two work good for me.

I like the Lansky/Gatco guided sharpeners. I set the angle at 30 degrees until I feel a burr, then strop the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by cevtv View Post
    Don't waste your money on this thing. It does a lousy job with a chisel edge, and the "guide" will scratch the hell out of the side of the blade. Worst $70 I ever spent.
    I agree, that's basically a belt sander!

The Work Sharp is fantastic on just about anything BUT chisel grind blades.
    I can put hair splitting edges on traditional 40 degree inclusives, it's the best I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Raf32 View Post
    The Work Sharp is fantastic on just about anything BUT chisel grind blades.
    I can put hair splitting edges on traditional 40 degree inclusives, it's the best I've used.
    Yeah, I absolutely love my worksharp. Although, I don't use the edge guide. But I wouldn't use it on my Emersons.

Blog Entries

For my Mini Commander, I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker on the 30 degree setting, just using the triangle edge only on the sharpened side of the knife. Then I strop both sides.

Thread Information