Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sebenza 25... Go Figure...

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripton View Post
    Actually the overtravel disk and the lockbar stabilizer are the exact same thing.
    Oops, responded before looking further down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken44 View Post
    Really??? You come to the CRK room to talk up a new Strider, and talk down a new CRK

I wouldn't own a Strider if it was gave to me. Do a little reading about the owners of Strider.
    What?
    I own a couple of Striders, and I am made of 156% pure awesome.

Oh, maybe you meant the owners of the company, eh?
    Well yes, when I get into the people buying business, I'll pass on owning them.
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

I own many knives form many companies (Strider, CRK, Spyderco, Benchmade, Tops, ESEE, Cold Steel, Boker, ZT, Kershaw, Emerson, Victorinox, Ka-Bar, some customs...forgetting a few others I'm sure).
    I even own a few knives made by one who some consider to be a horrendously arrogant person...me!

I don't get the whole "Brand Exclusion" concept. It's like when Trent Reznor didn't like people listening to his music who liked Metallica.
    I just cannot work up the energy to give a flying crap about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    I was reading about the latest model from Strider. It raises the bar for the company and looks nicely done. It uses a "precision ground pivot bushing" so the pivot tension is pre set and always perfect. And it uses perforated bronze washers to hold lubricant.

The latest Sebenza uses a traditional style pivot like what Strider and everyone else is/was using. And the new Sebenza has a thicker blade and finger grooves in the handle.

It's like these companies are headed towards swapping models. Not that there is anything wrong with where they are headed, but who would have seen this coming last year?
    why go into the CRK sub thread and do this? did you expect to have people agree with you and have a friendly discussion? thats like walking into yankee stadium with a mets jersey on and saying your team sucks and expecting people to agree with you.....

Quote Originally Posted by imbryan715 View Post
    why go into the CRK sub thread and do this? did you expect to have people agree with you and have a friendly discussion? thats like walking into yankee stadium with a mets jersey on and saying your team sucks and expecting people to agree with you.....

Did you even read the post you quoted? I see nothing even similar to your analogy in the quoted post.

why go into the CRK sub thread and do this?
    We're having a rather civilized discussion here on innovative pivot bushings and perforated washers that some of us curiously have been familiar with for 25 and 3 years, respectively. So what exactly is your problem?
    Last edited by DanG; 06-23-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Everyone's a little touchy it seems? Oh well, I'm bumming out about my latest precision bushing & washers with holes on my latest micarta 21. Chris Reeve repaired the "hard to open" problem really quick.

Last night after hearing the snap that the screws make when the Sebenza is opened up in a video, I recalled that mine didn't do that before sending it in. I got my tool out and went to crack them open only to find out that the pivot screw and the next screw behind it were barely tight.

I tightened them down snug like other large 21's I've owned and the d#$n blade was stuck inside again. I'm being patient but its' hard to swallow after just getting it back. I could have loosened them up and saved myself some cash and waiting without my knife time.

I must have thick washers like I saw in a video some guy posted the other night. I keep on buying these knives only to find something's messed up.

I've got them screwed down fairly tight (not all the way in) in hope that as the knife becomes smoother I can keep tightening them until the bushing system works the way it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    Did you even read the post you quoted? I see nothing even similar to your analogy in the quoted post.
    its well known that the sebenza pivot is one of the standout features of the knife ( no loctite, no adjustment, always centers blade, simple ) and he walks in here and says we took this from you and you and you dont use it anymore. honestly if you go into the crk thread and boast about or talk about striders new features it sounds like you are throwing it in our face. this post should be in the generals.

i will be honest. this change and many others are reasons i will not buy a sebenza 25. i hope chris will take some input before that knife is relased. because as of now i do think the sebenza 21 and classic are better designs. they are lighter weight, have nicer blade shapes, are more visually pleasing etc.... but the op does not need to come in here and talk about striders change. it would be better worded of he discussed the sebenzas new pivot rather than strider taking the good pivot and chris choosing the less superior pivot for some stupid reason

Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    We're having a rather civilized discussion here on innovative pivot bushings and perforated washers that some of us curiously have been familiar with for 25 and 3 years, respectively. So what exactly is your problem?
    read page 2..... i think more people agree with me.......

its well known that the sebenza pivot is one of the standout features of the knife ( no loctite, no adjustment, always centers blade, simple ) and he walks in here and says we took this from you and you and you dont use it anymore. honestly if you go into the crk thread and boast about or talk about striders new features it sounds like you are throwing it in our face. this post should be in the generals.

i will be honest. this change and many others are reasons i will not buy a sebenza 25. i hope chris will take some input before that knife is relased. because as of now i do think the sebenza 21 and classic are better designs. they are lighter weight, have nicer blade shapes, are more visually pleasing etc.... but the op does not need to come in here and talk about striders change. it would be better worded of he discussed the sebenzas new pivot rather than strider taking the good pivot and chris choosing the less superior pivot for some stupid reason
    I don't know where you got this "we took this from you". I only represent myself and I am a die hard CRK fan, don't even own a strider but have a 4 knife collection of which 3 are CRK. I just thought it was interesting that one company is using a few of the unique features of the Sebenza in a new model while the new sebenza is moving away from this features. And for the record other companies and makers have used bushing pivots also, Microtech comes to mind. I just thought it was interesting that these 2 models are being released at about the same time and are flagship models for the companies which show the direction in which they are headed.

And I never said which pivot is good, you are inferring something my post did not say which is that this was a bad move and that CRK is now moving to an inferior pivot. I honestly don't care one way or the other, I am perfectly happy with my umnumzaan's that do not use bushings. Any feelings of weather this is a bad or good move are not contained in my opening post, they are contained in your head!
    nice chatting with you...take care of yourself...

read page 2..... i think more people agree with me.......
    Agree about what?! Your post to which I responded accused the OP of stirring the pot. I don't think that most would agree with that accusation, as there was a valid reason to bring this to our attention. Even if that was the intention of the OP, the following discussion was astonishingly civilized and well-behaved. After all, the similarities down to the perforations in the washers are rather striking.

That most people would agree with the bushing being preferable on the 25, I have however no doubt.

One thing is sure though. What we are seeing currently is a move towards making CRK products "fool proof", as witnessed by the overtravel disk on the Umnum and now the conventional pivot on the 25. I guess Mr. Reeve is sick of dealing with the warranty claims of those "knife experts" who educate themselves on the Internet and perform "rigorous" knife tests in their kitchen sink. And I can't blame him. Strange times we live in.

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Honestly it was probably just the whisper of Strid*r in the CRK room that instigated some defensive posts. Especially comparing the two products. That coupled with a few threads that bit*#ed and moaned and trashed CRK the last couple months, well maybe we're just a bit "sensitive"

At anyrate I'm excited to try out the 25 and I'm going to just try to treat it like a whole new knife as opposed to comparing it to my 21's or any other knife for that matter.
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat84 View Post

At anyrate I'm excited to try out the 25 and I'm going to just try to treat it like a whole new knife as opposed to comparing it to my 21's or any other knife for that matter.
    That's true RiverRat84, I see it as a whole new knife and hey, we may all be singing it's praises in a short time. I sure hope so. Being able to dial in the pivot by yourself takes a lot of warranty issues of CRK's plate. No more stiff opening (adjust the pivot) Sebenzas slipping through the cracks.

Mr. Reeve told me on the phone that this (stiff opening tune-ups) was probably one of the only problems that they experienced once in awhile that pops up. Other problems, I'm assuming he meant, would be issues caused by the owners.

You've got to love the broader looking blade on the 25 too. This may be great for us Sebenza lovers but I'm not selling my new Sebenza 21 any time soon, that for sure!

It must be "Give CRK flak year" because it seems like everyother thread someone is trying to egg on CRK owners or try to start something with CRK themselves.

How about we just wait and see how the 25 is before we make arm-chair assumptions. (such as CRK is going downhill)

The people that have handled the 25 can't see or feel anything dramatically wrong with it, so lets just wait and see for crying out loud.

(Nevermind)
    Last edited by Steel_Addiction; 06-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Addiction View Post

The people that have handled the 25 can't see or feel anything dramatically wrong with it, so lets just wait and see for crying out loud.

And this thread is the definition of what TROLLING is. Come on.
    Yes, this ^^^

I have to agree with Steel_Addiction. We will have to wait and see when the new knife hits the market. A year or so into the knifes release we should begin to see issues arise (if any are had). Kinda like when a new truck is released, you never want to buy the first model. Unfortunately, I am going to buy a 25 the day it comes out. I guess i'll be one of the test subjects. As for Strider knives, I have a SNG and it is a great knife. However, it doesn't hold a light to a Sebenza or Umnumzaan and the $400+ price tag on them is a little ridiculous as I feel its a $250 knife max.

It must be "Give CRK flak year" because it seems like everyother thread someone is trying to egg on CRK owners or try to start something with CRK themselves.

How about we just wait and see how the 25 is before we make arm-chair assumptions. (such as CRK is going downhill)

I personally hate to see the 21 and bushing system go, but when I held the 25 I couldn't even tell that the pivot system was different.

In fact, when I held it I didn't even know that the pivot had changed. It just felt like always. I've said before that I hate to see the bushing go, but I am going to use one before I pass judgement.

Has there been any pictures posted for the new 25?

Quote Originally Posted by tomsch View Post
    Has there been any pictures posted for the new 25?
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-**more-pics**

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...new-Sebenza-25

No it ain't. Not at all.
    The two companies have been compared for YEARS, and the adoption of the bushing system by one company as it's abandoned by the other is something one can actually have a discussion about without the annoying, mature retorts along the lines of "Well, neener neener, you're a weener for liking that knife", which is what many of the threads devolved into.

It ain't religion folks, it's knives.

And, strangely, on a knife forum, billed as the premier site for discussion of knives, some people like to have discussions about, well, knives.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information