Page 40 of 111 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairly Knives Chat - For people who like Knives, have Knives or use Knives.

ADVERTISEMENT
    GOOD MORNIN' ! I dig the poon! cookie and cream ice cream for breakfast mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy! Doing some knife testing this morning (what some might call afternoon) with my hollow grind attempt blade. I am happy with the edge retention. Cut up about 10 boxes and it still cuts phone book paper clean. woop woop. Is it baseball season?

Very nice on the testing!

Good morning guys, I have been super busy here and have the S7/A2 run in full motion. Yesterday I used the tile saw to cut scale material and drilled/cleaned up the holes and did some work on the flats. I hope to get more grinding done today and maybe heat treat if all goes quickly.

I decided to do the two A2 tantos with silver twill and then carbon fiber, the pair will look cool. I was going to do a wrap but thin scales just seemed right. The Saex has a new canvas micarta in black/green/tan and is just going to rock.
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    Morning!

Just got to work over an hour late! I totally spaced out on my schedule today, forgetting that my boss has a meeting out of town! Ugh, I hate the feeling of being rushed! Oh well, I'm here and settled in.

Good stuff on the A2 tantos! I really like that silver twill. When I got home last night there was a long cardboard tube that weighed about 20lbs sitting on the table, my steel came in! WooHoo! One bar is for Kevin (fbc) so when he wants it he can get it. Maybe I'll trade him some bike parts, I broke some spokes the other day...

Well now that my heart rate is going down after the time trial I rode to work I'm gonna get some coffe. I averaged 27mph for the ride here.

Have a good day y'all!

-Xander

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fairly Knives View Post
    Very nice on the testing!

Good morning guys, I have been super busy here and have the S7/A2 run in full motion. Yesterday I used the tile saw to cut scale material and drilled/cleaned up the holes and did some work on the flats. I hope to get more grinding done today and maybe heat treat if all goes quickly.

I decided to do the two A2 tantos with silver twill and then carbon fiber, the pair will look cool. I was going to do a wrap but thin scales just seemed right. The Saex has a new canvas micarta in black/green/tan and is just going to rock.
    Wow, those sound awesome! Silver Twill and CF should look amazing Can't wait to see them man!

I got your email, like I said before, take your time and when you're ready, knock it outta the park!!!

Cheers

Morning folks. Xander , I am down for a trade. Hit me up at work tonight . My phone is still jacked up. If possable just drop the steel off on my porch or give it to Jen if she is home.
    Daniel, what is up with the viking knife?Is that for someone or something that you are making for yourself?
    Have a killer day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hullo gents.

This past weekend was my last collegiate regatta. It was pretty horrible. My crew and I finished DFL in our fleet (8th), and the A fleet team was 2nd in theirs.

The wind was too light, and my crew and I were 50lbs heavier than the next heaviest crew (with many crew around the 200-250 lbs mark and the two of us at roughly 340 lbs). I don't think there was ever more than 6kts of wind and we were fighting a 3kt current (I've never raced in that much current before). At one point we were stuck at the windward mark going backwards (and 8 minutes behind the rest of the fleet).

It was painful.

Man that sounds rough, what can you do with unmatched weights though... that is a ton of current too!

May the next one be better! I saw it was the last race but you know...
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Quote Originally Posted by awc View Post
    Hullo gents.

This past weekend was my last collegiate regatta. It was pretty horrible. My crew and I finished DFL in our fleet (8th), and the A fleet team was 2nd in theirs.

The wind was too light, and my crew and I were 50lbs heavier than the next heaviest crew (with many crew around the 200-250 lbs mark and the two of us at roughly 340 lbs). I don't think there was ever more than 6kts of wind and we were fighting a 3kt current (I've never raced in that much current before). At one point we were stuck at the windward mark going backwards (and 8 minutes behind the rest of the fleet).

It was painful.
    Tough stuff! I got stuck that way with my training partner, we typically averaged 360lbs against crews in the 280-320 range. We got over it though. Sailing in a ditch has it benefits, we tack a lot! We could aggresively roll tack to make huge gains and also could get the transom out of the water better for light air upwind work. Sailing a confined course (the river) we encountered boat on boat tactics much more often and even in big boats, 6" isn't considered a close pass! We could out tack them, and handle the boat better in tight quarters.

With a heavy crew we would set more rake in the rig and run a little looser head stay. By putting th bow down your moving the center of lateral resistance aft and it would want to sail fat, occasionally giving leehelm as feedback. Raking the rig counters this and keeps it tracking true. Get your crew to work on setup and tacking from in front of the shrouds for super light air!

-Xander

Quote Originally Posted by fast14riot View Post
    Tough stuff! I got stuck that way with my training partner, we typically averaged 360lbs against crews in the 280-320 range. We got over it though. Sailing in a ditch has it benefits, we tack a lot! We could aggresively roll tack to make huge gains and also could get the transom out of the water better for light air upwind work. Sailing a confined course (the river) we encountered boat on boat tactics much more often and even in big boats, 6" isn't considered a close pass! We could out tack them, and handle the boat better in tight quarters.

With a heavy crew we would set more rake in the rig and run a little looser head stay. By putting th bow down your moving the center of lateral resistance aft and it would want to sail fat, occasionally giving leehelm as feedback. Raking the rig counters this and keeps it tracking true. Get your crew to work on setup and tacking from in front of the shrouds for super light air!

-Xander

Unfortunately the last thing you want to do in a club 420 is put weight forward. Changing rake isn't ideal as you reduce jib tension sacrificing pointing ability. The one thing we don't have here in Kingston is a confined area, we also have lots of wind, which makes it difficult to train for low wind racing.

I sure hope this isn't my last regatta ever, I do want to keep racing dinghies. I just need to find an 'adult' dinghie like I-14s or maybe a Contender and a fleet to race with.

Ahh, I never raced C420's, so I was applying everything I know from CFJ's. I taught th local high school teams for a few years and they raced CFJ's. I can make you a deal on either an 14 or a Contender! I have two contenders actually. Maybe I'll let you fix the rudder that broke at the 2000 world championships in Kingston! that reminds me, time to refinish the bottom and gunwale on one of them.

I miss racing, I took this year and haven't even stepped on a boat! Its time. I think I'm gonna try and train for another world championship event, just need to figure out what class.

-Xander

get that boat out Xander!

AWC keep it up!

I would like to do some small boat sailing myself, sounds fun.

Good afternoon guys!
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum

Morning to everyone Well almost, not quiet morning for you west coasters yet.
    "highly motivated and moderately dizzy, lol " D.F.

Morning y'all.

Had another day of rain yesterday, but its already blown through. Gonna be back in the 80's by Mon and Tues. Winter is more of a formality here.

Have a good day!
    -Xander

Hey good morning everyone!

Heat treating here...

OK back to the kiln!
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum

This is a picture from last weekend. You can see how flat the water is. We are wearing the white pinnies (right side of the picture). I'm the one wearing the blue cookie monster hat.

Andrew, you sure that wasn't here on the river?! That shot looks very much like here!

I'm guessing the C420 likes a tight leech main? I almost always try to induce a little twist in the 3-5kt range, but at 5-8kts I bring the top batton back to parallel with the boom. It looks like you are getting a wind diversion off the trees on shore, with a wind line to your right continuing up the course. Very similar conditions to here. Do your rules allow outboard sheeting of the jib, or floating jib leads? Barberhaulers on the sheets might help, too.

A couple of the colleges here have some 420's but they still race CFJ's. When I quit teaching (many years ago) the club was just getting into Opti's for the smaller guys because of the growing fleets here. Before that we sailed a local design, the El Toro pram. Very popular boat here in NorCal and Hawaii, but unheard of anywhere else.

I gotta get up there and go sailing with you! I'll buy you a pint.

Evening guys. Getting all the X-mas stuff out and ready here at work, I'm dreadin it. I just despise the holidays.

-Xander

Good evening folks. I scored a nice drill press today for FREE!!! wooooo hooooo! Had a nice day just chlling around the house with Jen. Hope y'all are having a good weekend.
    Daniel,did you get my email?

Hey FBC, I did get the email... sorry for no response I got a ton of emails yesterday and am still not caught up.

I'm writing you right now... Thanks again!
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum

Quote Originally Posted by fast14riot View Post
    Andrew, you sure that wasn't here on the river?! That shot looks very much like here!

I'm guessing the C420 likes a tight leech main? I almost always try to induce a little twist in the 3-5kt range, but at 5-8kts I bring the top batton back to parallel with the boom. It looks like you are getting a wind diversion off the trees on shore, with a wind line to your right continuing up the course. Very similar conditions to here. Do your rules allow outboard sheeting of the jib, or floating jib leads? Barberhaulers on the sheets might help, too.

A couple of the colleges here have some 420's but they still race CFJ's. When I quit teaching (many years ago) the club was just getting into Opti's for the smaller guys because of the growing fleets here. Before that we sailed a local design, the El Toro pram. Very popular boat here in NorCal and Hawaii, but unheard of anywhere else.

I gotta get up there and go sailing with you! I'll buy you a pint.

Evening guys. Getting all the X-mas stuff out and ready here at work, I'm dreadin it. I just despise the holidays.

-Xander
    Yeah they need a tight leech. You put too much twist in it and the air won't flow off the sail.

The jib leads are fixed, though you can outboard sheet (that's what we do when going downwind). And Barberhaulers are a no go according to class rules.
    Not quite enough windward heel here, but you get the idea of how we windward sheet/ sail downwind. (different regatta)

I'm not sure sailing in Kingston with me will happen Xander, the boats are out of the water this week and next, and I'll be heading off to Esquimalt in Late may early June of next year. Sailing in Esquimalt is a distinct possibility, though I won't have a boat of my own I might be able to convince the skipper of which ever boat I race on to make room for a friend some weekend. There is another alternative in which I head down to cali on some of my time off between courses and sail with you... I might even be convinced to pick up a contender while I'm at it
    Last edited by awc; 11-04-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Awesome pic!

Morning guys!
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum

Page 40 of 111 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread Information