Thread: SPA Treatment Question??

Question SPA Treatment Question??

ADVERTISEMENT
    Is there a WAY to tell if a CRK knife has received the SPA treatment? Are there "tell tale" markers or evidence/signs to distinguish it from just a NEW out of the box one? So in the final analysis, how does one know or determine if a CRK knife (folder) that is sold second hand has had this treatment performed but has not been revealed by a seller? Just curious for NO particular reason.

THANKS!

I'd say the lock bar face. Mine was perfect when new. After a couple hundred openings, it broke in nicely. There's a small shiny area on the lock bar face now. Might take a flashlight to see it.
    Last edited by hondahirny; 06-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.

I have not bought a spa treatment sebenza, but I have noticed differences from a pre to post spa treatment. One things I look for right away is for some reason, the blasting on a spa treatment sebenza feels rougher. Its has always been this way on any ones I had done. But what I look for the most is at the CRK logo on the scale. On a pre spa, its nice and crisp. On a post spa, its lightened or slightly shallower, its edges rounded. This is what I notice right off the bat. You almost need a pre spa and a post spa sebenza side by side to notice the difference.

I am sure there are other differences that people will chime in with, but for me, this is what I notice first and it doesn't require taking the knife apart to tell.

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Quote Originally Posted by hondahirny View Post
    After a couple hundred openings, it broke IN nicely.
    Atleast I hope that's what you meant, totally different meaning with just one word

Although they do reheat treat the lock face I'd say that's a good way to spot it. Even so they make a spa treated knife look brand new so if the seller doesn't believe in full disclosure, honesty, or selling an expensive item with all info then it could be hard to tell.
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson
    ISEK#13

Quote Originally Posted by nyefmaker View Post
    I have not bought a spa treatment sebenza, but I have noticed differences from a pre to post spa treatment. One things I look for right away is for some reason, the blasting on a spa treatment sebenza feels rougher. Its has always been this way on any ones I had done. But what I look for the most is at the CRK logo on the scale. On a pre spa, its nice and crisp. On a post spa, its lightened or slightly shallower, its edges rounded. This is what I notice right off the bat. You almost need a pre spa and a post spa sebenza side by side to notice the difference.

I am sure there are other differences that people will chime in with, but for me, this is what I notice first and it doesn't require taking the knife apart to tell.
    Perfectly agree.

If the knife has been refinished then there will usually still be some of the original covered up "damage" there. Deep scratches and the like can be blasted out but the area can still be identified with good light and magnification. The look of the blasted finish is not something I would go by as I have seen totally out the box new knives with different blasted finishes. The logo is something to look at though and so is the clip as that will nearly always show signs of wear even after a spa.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat84 View Post
    Atleast I hope that's what you meant, totally different meaning with just one word
    Thank you iPhone once again Yes, that's what I meant. I found that when the lock bar was new, it did stick, but just a little. Now, it's absolutely perfect.

Thanks Gentlemen! Appreciate the insights.

Thread Information