Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: overnight along the appalachian trail & lake.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,552

    overnight along the appalachian trail & lake.


    ADVERTISEMENT
    old farming equipment?






    spotted this bug with ginormous fake eyes...i'm watching you watching me watch you!








    i wonder if there's enough flat spot on that island to overnight on.




    first real outing with this ultralight tarp. my assumption was correct - the semi see-through material acted like a greenhouse. it's good for the winter but on this trip, it was letting too much sunlight/heat through for my liking...on days above 70° f i have to pick a really shady area or bring a different tarp (i really hate hot weather, give me winter anyday!).




    i've never seen so many of these dragonflies in the same area...mating season perhaps? there were a dozen of them at any given time swirling about but they were very skitish and flew away as soon as they sensed i was near.






    first time seeing a bluish/purple one as well. these guys were even more skitish than the green ones! it took me maybe 50 shots and an hour of stalking them just to get this one usable shot.




    chipmunks, however, just love the camera.




    been cutting back on weight these past few weeks...a lightweight backpack is next and i'll be in the sub-20 lbs load out with food and water.






    relaxing, cody lundin-style.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,552
    after lunch i started wandering around camp.



    burn area? the grass is not greener on the other side!




    wander around enough and you're bound to find another stealth camp site.




    ...or two. this one's a good camp fire reflector for the winter.




    no idea what type.




    the top part has that melted chocolate flowing thing to it.






    sasquatch spotting!




    anyway, back at camp the welcoming party didn't take long. i was told as a kid they'll give you a very itchy rash but i never really came in contact with one before.




    i wasn't in the mood to test that theory so out comes my bug net.




    i was hoping for a sunset view but this is the wrong spot - the sun went down behind the mountain facing my back.










    ...anyway, i'm half way to my goal of a monthly overnighter for an entire year.

  3. #3
    Great Pics Man!

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pikeville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    3,495
    Nice pics 'Ol Bud ! That pic of th hairy little catapillar you posted....Rash....My brother stepped on one when he was a kid, it gave him a very painful sting...leaving him with a permanent scar...looks like mini dozer tracks on the bottom of his foot ! Note to self...leave the hairy catapillars alone !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    wild west
    Posts
    511
    Great looking wildlife! You got a bracket fungus, don't know which but she's a beaut.Really looks gorgeous out there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,756
    Great pictures, always look forward to your posts, make me feel all calm inside
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

    JK Iris Knife Passaround

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio, NW
    Posts
    7,283
    Well, glad it wasn't one of those caterpillars I put on a fishing hook last year at my nephews birthday party then

    Thanks for the pics, and lack of spider pics.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,403
    Wonderful pics amigo, thanks for perservering with the bug shots too, they are terrific.

    You really are lookign to get so much camp time in this year...I'm pretty envious...and more so now I've seen yours (and a few others?) camp spot.

    Much obliged....and here's to the second half of your quest!

    scruff
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Litchfield county-CT
    Posts
    1,744
    That old equipment is from mining I believe.--KV

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    205
    Great pics. I have tried quite a few of the pouch foods although I though the beef stew tasted like cat hurl. Luckily my buddy had a bottle of tabasco in his pack and I added enough to make my eyes water and managed to choke it down.
    Some people are a lot like Slinkies.....they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    889
    Amazing pics. Would that be Sunfish Pond?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,567
    Great pics!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    19,168
    Beautiful spot you picked - I REALLY need to get out

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    2,554
    Very nice photos. Which section of the AT is that?

    Did a two day/night hike back in July 2004 with some scouts and other adults from our local BSA troop. Hiked from Sam's Gap to Spivey Gap around the Erwin, TN area, and it was surprisingly cool for the middle of the summer. We didn't meet a single person in the 2 days we were on the trail.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,790
    That's a gypsy moth catepillar. Nasty invasive buggers. Next time you see one, kill it. I broke out in hives once from handling one when I was a kid.

  16. #16
    Two things Im thinking having read this thread.

    1 A monthly weekend trip might should be MANDANTORY for me as well, thats genious!

    2 I shoulda bought an orange Milie when I had the chance.

    Great pics! Making me consider what I might should do with my weekend.....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,552
    Quote Originally Posted by jcl-MD View Post
    Great Pics Man!

    Thanks
    thanks, man!


    Quote Originally Posted by coaldigger View Post
    Nice pics 'Ol Bud ! That pic of th hairy little catapillar you posted....Rash....My brother stepped on one when he was a kid, it gave him a very painful sting...leaving him with a permanent scar...looks like mini dozer tracks on the bottom of his foot ! Note to self...leave the hairy catapillars alone !
    thanks, man! good thing i didn't try to eat it


    Quote Originally Posted by russamurai View Post
    Great looking wildlife! You got a bracket fungus, don't know which but she's a beaut.Really looks gorgeous out there.
    thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by KYenglish View Post
    Great pictures, always look forward to your posts, make me feel all calm inside
    thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    Well, glad it wasn't one of those caterpillars I put on a fishing hook last year at my nephews birthday party then

    Thanks for the pics, and lack of spider pics.
    you're welcome. i saw a couple of spiders around my gear and tried to take pics but they were fast movers and hid quickly!


    Quote Originally Posted by scruffuk View Post
    Wonderful pics amigo, thanks for perservering with the bug shots too, they are terrific.

    You really are lookign to get so much camp time in this year...I'm pretty envious...and more so now I've seen yours (and a few others?) camp spot.

    Much obliged....and here's to the second half of your quest!

    scruff
    thanks, man! i've had a lot of hobbies over the years (usually each one lasted 6 months or so and i move on: aquariums, reptiles, guns, painting, kayaking, etc.) but i like hiking/camping more and more ever since i joined this forum two years ago.


    Quote Originally Posted by kvaughn View Post
    That old equipment is from mining I believe.--KV
    i see, thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by KBamhi View Post
    Great pics. I have tried quite a few of the pouch foods although I though the beef stew tasted like cat hurl. Luckily my buddy had a bottle of tabasco in his pack and I added enough to make my eyes water and managed to choke it down.
    thanks! you're talking to a guy who eats chicken feet and stuff anything tastes really good to me! i do carry hot pepper flakes and i put it on everything.


    Quote Originally Posted by CR33 View Post
    Amazing pics. Would that be Sunfish Pond?
    thanks! island pond lake.


    Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    Great pics!
    thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by KuRUpTD View Post
    Beautiful spot you picked - I REALLY need to get out
    thanks! that's actually riley's spot that he showed me last year.


    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyo16 View Post
    Very nice photos. Which section of the AT is that?

    Did a two day/night hike back in July 2004 with some scouts and other adults from our local BSA troop. Hiked from Sam's Gap to Spivey Gap around the Erwin, TN area, and it was surprisingly cool for the middle of the summer. We didn't meet a single person in the 2 days we were on the trail.
    thanks! it's in the southern tip of harriman/north nj. i saw a couple of other hikers on this trip but most of the trails here are usually empty unless it's one of the major holidays.


    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    That's a gypsy moth catepillar. Nasty invasive buggers. Next time you see one, kill it. I broke out in hives once from handling one when I was a kid.
    ah, got it. thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Two things Im thinking having read this thread.

    1 A monthly weekend trip might should be MANDANTORY for me as well, thats genious!

    2 I shoulda bought an orange Milie when I had the chance.

    Great pics! Making me consider what I might should do with my weekend.....
    thanks! i've had that orange one for two years i think and i'm surprised it got discontinued...it was one of kgd's threads actually where he mentioned doing a monthly overnighter and i just copied him speaking of kgd, i haven't seen him post in awhile

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks for sharing another trip Looks like it was a nice and relaxing outing.

    Quote Originally Posted by JV3 View Post
    [...]
    first real outing with this ultralight tarp. my assumption was correct - the semi see-through material acted like a greenhouse. it's good for the winter but on this trip, it was letting too much sunlight/heat through for my liking...on days above 70° f i have to pick a really shady area or bring a different tarp (i really hate hot weather, give me winter anyday!).
    [...]
    Hmm, you must be more sensitive to it, with all your aversion to heat Like I said before, I haven't noticed too much of a problem, it's always cooler under than outside the tarp shade. Next time I'll take my dual-temp probe out and actually check, haha . Anyway, the weather looked pretty mild/calm for your outing, so I'm thinking if you had pitched higher you would have been more comfortable (looks to be a wooded enough area for you to find large enough branches to help).


    This day was high 80's at least, maybe got into the low 90's in the afternoon. Note the lofty pitch




  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,383
    I enjoyed your photos. The insect shots are pretty good. But the landscape shots are the ones that make you want to go there and hang out as they seem to give you a good feel for the terrain and so forth.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    3,775
    great pics as always sir. beautiful area you get to play in so often.
    It's touchier than a Vatican summer camp in here-Expatriated
    Proud supporter of hard use knives
    Busse Combat, --- Oink soldier
    Horton Knives-- built for bad times
    Jk knives - your design or his.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •