Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a chicken killin' tool.

Need a chicken killin' tool.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm looking for something mainly to cull chickens with. I'm a folding knife kind of guy and don't know much about the hatchet/hawk/big sharp tool realm. Here's what I'm looking for:

One handed use.
    Good grind that I can freehand sharpen.
    Steel that will let me pass this down to my grandkids.
    Cooler than it needs to be (I could cull chickens with a damned rock if I wanted to, and I wouldn't be on BF asking this question if I wanted a $10 walmart machete).
    Sub $300.
    Some sort of sheath system, preferably something that will attach to a belt.

I'd also like to be able to put this tool to use in my fields trimming saplings and other miscellaneous brush that needs to be cut back.

If I'm misguided in thinking that an axe/tomahawk/hatchet will fit this bill the best, feel free to suggest other possibilities. Thanks for your time.

Estwing carpenter's hatchet.

The straight bit will do a nice job on critter's necks and the steel haft cleans up better than wood. It's American made of quality steel.

For just Butchering Chickens and If you want a Very Well Made Custom Axe that you can pass down to your Family I would contact GL Drew here on the Forum and have him make you an ULU AXE, For Butchering any Critter you wont find a better Tool than this,

Here's all the Info. In this Link on this ULU AXE,
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...hlight=Ulu+Axe

And I dont think an Axe or Tomahawk would be any good at clearing Brush & Saplings for that you need a Well Made Big Blade like a Golok, For 300.00 you could get this Custom ULU AXE and a Very well made Golok,
    Last edited by Kicking_Bird; 06-20-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Adding Info.

I am very new to the axe scene but I highly recommend checking out wetterlings lineup. I think you will find something that appeals to you and will last for generations.

Another idea to consider, might be attractive to you. Not an axe, but it's 5160 steel, hand made and differentially heat treated, and with a custom sheath should be under your budget.

The "Farm Knife" by Himalayan Imports (from their forum here at BladeForums):

Quote Originally Posted by mneedham View Post
    Yangdu recently sent me this big beauty. I had a sheath made for it that I'm really liking... I'm pretty impressed with this blade, it can chop and take care of fine work... Thought I'd put a couple of pics:

All over Mexico. (and San Diego from time to time)
    Blog Entries

I use this one to kill pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwood7 View Post

Disturbing

I second the HI Farm Knife!"

Man I love that farm knife. Looking at their site I cant find one just like that including sheath. Do you have any more details.

I really like my little Estwing.

The Moore Maker DB is a nice piece too, but while I'm sure it would be fine for killing Chickens, it's more of a novelty IMO.

Have Bruce Culberson forge you a Swiss cleaver.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by jmh76 View Post
    Man I love that farm knife. Looking at their site I cant find one just like that including sheath. Do you have any more details.
    Here's a recent HI "Deal of the Day" thread that shows the sheath they come with. (That Farm Knife still looks like it is available, by the way).
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...and-Great-Buys

The aftermarket custom sheaths can be made by various leather benders here at BladeForums, or they can be homemade, like this one:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-my-Farm-Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Edwood7 View Post

What kind of hawk is that? It's beautiful. My apologies if I'm using incorrect terminology.

It's a Winkler.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

O-Tachi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

Kill 'em all in one fell swoop!

I was going to suggest something by Lynn C. Thompson, but I'm led to believe they only work on pork products

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    It's a Winkler.
    Man I wish I could afford one of them. What an awesome design.

Just sneak this bad boy in the nest...
    http://tinyurl.com/7hfzj7b

---

Beckerhead #42

Ive killed more chickens than I could count..The best type of axe Ive used for be-heading is one with a flat blade profile, like a carpenters axe. Just like square peg posted...Theres less room for error..Pretty much gonna get a good clean kill everytime..Ive done it with hawks too but you gonna be dead-nuts on everytime or it will take more than one lick..I like the head to come completely away first time..
    Though to be honest I havent been cutting off heads in a long time..I just grab and go..Wring its neck and toss it down, go to the next one..I can kill out a house in minutes that way..
    Non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
    Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose..Isaiah 54:16

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
    Ive killed more chickens than I could count..The best type of axe Ive used for be-heading is one with a flat blade profile, like a carpenters axe. Just like square peg posted...Theres less room for error..Pretty much gonna get a good clean kill everytime..Ive done it with hawks too but you gonna be dead-nuts on everytime or it will take more than one lick..I like the head to come completely away first time..
    Though to be honest I havent been cutting off heads in a long time..I just grab and go..Wring its neck and toss it down, go to the next one..I can kill out a house in minutes that way..
    I'm doing geese, turkey, and ducks as well as chickens. I'm also producing small-scale so I'm not particularly interested in hurrying through the process.

Taking their heads off is so messy, tho. Does "bleeding" a bird make any difference if you're cleaning them right away?

Condor Village Parang.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information