Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was this a good purchase?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Keeping in mind that they are all great knives, it's just that some may be even better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZORBLADES View Post
    I would rather have an older model,does anyoe else notice the quality of older 110's is much better than the new stuff?
    No, not me. Not at all.
    Last edited by Plumberdv; 06-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

Quote Originally Posted by tvhaugen View Post
    What years do you think are the "best" quality?
    The ONLY Quality difference I have ever seen in a 110 are the ones with premium grade steel, BG42, S30V, CPM154, that for me, stay sharper longer in the field.

Any other quality differences usually come down to personal preference versus a quality issue. I have commented about differences in the handles before, but I consider that more a preference than a quality issue.

Mechanically, I have never bought a new one that had any issues. And I have gifted numerous new ones over the years since I bought my first one in the early to mid 70's

Maybe we need personal definitions of quality. I would agree that the mismatched scales could be a quality issue, but nothing to do with functionality of the knife. So maybe a fine line as to what we call quality issues.
    Last edited by Pack Rat; 06-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.

If you know exactly how many knives and guns you have, then you don't have enough!

BCCI Life, NRA Life Endowment, TSRA Life Benefactor

I would rather have an older model,does anyoe else notice the quality of older 110's is much better than the new stuff?
    Nope. The ones I have are pretty much all good, solid, well built knives regardless of the year. I do have a few newer ones with a small amount of blade play and or off center blades but I also have a few 2 dot and 4 dot models that appear virtually like new with the same problems.
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

Quote Originally Posted by jec88 View Post
    But I was wondering that also about the Hunter, say from 1990 to date, are there any variations that make certain ones stand out??
    Interesting question, as what history of the 110 and 112 that I have seen written, pretty much stops around 1980 give or take.
    There were definitely a lot of variations in the early years.

Check out the pdf's in the sticky up top here for some variation history.

now off to racking my brain about changes after 1980 or so...

If you know exactly how many knives and guns you have, then you don't have enough!

Quote Originally Posted by jec88 View Post
    I just bought a 2012 at Wal-Mart this morning on the way to work so I can tell you exactly what I paid/ ($38.12 after taxes) so with your free shipping, looks like a good deal to me.
    WOW, that is a $10 jump over what we are/were paying here on Houston's North side.

To be honest the quality of the new 110's amaze me.

Thinking back, and yes it hurts , There were some quality issues that we talked about, right after the Buck move to Idaho. I believe the consensus was the move and new employees not being fully trained. I don't recall it being talked about too very long.

If some of you have a weirdness, check the year stamps. Just maybe....

For the new ones here, Buck made that move from Cali to Idaho in late 2004-early 2005. This the Idaho stamp for 2005.

Checked Wal-Mart today.

They had about five Buck knives. The 110 is a dime or so under $35 plus sales tax of 6.5 percent.

It had a sturdy Cordura sheath w/ horizontal or vertical carry.

It may not be a Three-Dotter, but I'd stake my life on it.

I know that the original post has been somewhat derailed with the "quality" issue, but I think it has to be said. Take a look at one of the "old Bucks" that are so revered. A collectable? Sure, but not because of the quality! Take a look at the fit and finish around the scale and rocker pins and the gaps at the front bolster. If you bought a new one that came like that, you'd scream to high heaven about the lack of quality!

BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

I would admit that the newer models have had a few quaility control issues for Buck to deal with, but as far as the 110 goes, a 2012 is as rock solid as a 1964 and anywhere inbetween. Blade steel preference and ability( which is relative to the owner) is really the only functional variable. I prefer the ebony to obeechee ascetically but you cant deny the durability of the dymnondwood/obeechee/laminate scales. I prefer the 440c to 420hc for edge holding, but as a fellow who just cant seem to learn to sharpen on a stone, the 420hc is much easier to sharpen on my croc stics.Usabilty may be at issue but not quality. My 2002 100th anny is as solid 10 years later as it was new and she has seen a hell of a lot.

I agree. I only have a 2 dot Ranger and a 2011 ranger to compare differences on. I kind of like the flatter bolsters and the wood scales on on the 2 dot, but that's just a preference because it kind of makes the knife look older, and both the 2 dot and 2011 lock and function with the same authority. But that said, the wood scales on my 2011 are very nice and I would bet that whatever the laminate wood is in the scales of the newer one will probably hold up just as well or even better.

My first Buck 110 arrived and after a little cleaning up she's a beauty! This knife is a piece of art, built like a tank, hair shaving sharp and a bargain in the knife world!

It is indeed a 2011 Buck 110 with a two way nylon sheath. I think this is the best $27 I've ever spent on a knife.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by canyon56; 06-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.

DId good-congrats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information