Thread: Figure out this 110 date code.

Figure out this 110 date code.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I may have seen something about this before but a search turned up nothing. This is the first 110 I ever bought and the date code is a bit of a mystery. It is a single dot and the > for 1987. It is not 2009 -> arrow date code. I have a 154cm buildout with a 2009 and it looks nothing like it. The handle looks to be ebony as well. Here are pictures with my 2009 to show it's not the arrow for comparison.
    ???

???

Something about the 4 dot to right arrow change comes to mind here. I'm sure someone else has a link to share!
    Visit my Hosted Knifemaker Forum where you can see my Custom Knives and Customized Buck USA Knives
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...-Custom-Knives
    Buck Collectors Club Lifetime Member #2234
    "Like" my facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/JAGcustomknives

I'm not sure, but I'm wanting to say it was made sometime between 1980 and 1987. Though I believe 1987 would be the closest as to what I can tell. The ">" symbol means it was made in 1987 from the info that I can dig up on the matter.

I have never seen that square stamp before.....ever! I can't wait to hear what the Buck BF think tank has to say about this one
    jb4570

You have a 1987 knife. The mysterious dot means some change took place. Thats about all that has been said. No info on what the change was.

I have one on a 529 with a dot in the 1988 up arrow.

Last edited by Pack Rat; 06-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.

If you know exactly how many knives and guns you have, then you don't have enough!

BCCI Life, NRA Life Endowment, TSRA Life Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by jb4570 View Post
    I have never seen that square stamp before.....ever! I can't wait to hear what the Buck BF think tank has to say about this one
    jb4570
    JB, Are you talking about the thinner cleaner appearing "font" of the top one? I notice that there is some light reflection that makes that one look sharper as well. Good pic!

Other wise I am clueless as usual.

If you know exactly how many knives and guns you have, then you don't have enough!

I finally found my 16X loupe and had a look at it up close, the "dot" is square.

I've never seen or heard of anything like that.

Totally unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithus1966 View Post
    I finally found my 16X loupe and had a look at it up close, the "dot" is square.
    I just louped this one. It is round. Interesting.

BG, Joe has commented about these dots before. No idea what the change was, just that there was some change.

Oh, we've had plenty of DOT threads......

But never a square thread. Interesting.

Ok, Sithus........first off, where did you get it???

I'd guess it's doctored or it's a brand new type of Buck designator that means.........something.

Wait... Is that a microscoptic microdot in the upper left hand corner of the tiny square stamped within the minute arrow's head with the history of that model number coded into it in great detail... No it isn't. Never mind. Some day perhaps. After all, the Stanhope lens, capable of holding a great deal of information in a dot, is an antique these days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanhope_(optical_bijou)

Bought it 20 some years ago, somewhere. I can think of only 2 places it might have come from, local MC Sporting goods or Meijer store.

Quote Originally Posted by BG42EDGE View Post
    Ok, Sithus........first off, where did you get it???

I'd guess it's doctored or it's a brand new type of Buck designator that means.........something.

So......I suppose as far as you know, the little square was on there when it was new.......which would appear to be 1987.

I don't know. We need more help from the Buck Forum experts on this.

I guess it's just a mystery until another one comes along. I checked the 110 data sheet but that does not go past 1980. I wonder if it indicated some sort of design or material change?

Thread Information