Thread: Kellam Puukko and a pot hanger a la R. Mears

Kellam Puukko and a pot hanger a la R. Mears

ADVERTISEMENT
    Today I want to make a pot hanger a la Ray Mears. I will use my Kellam Puukko, here whit my Vic Ranger for comparison

Letís make the pot hanger

Detail

Letís continue

Three different positions available

Any detailed pics

This knife doesnít appeal me too much (donít know why), but I must admit that it works well. The handle is pretty comfortable, the scandi blade is highly efficient on carving woods.
    Regards,
    Alfredo

Nice practice session Alfredo.
    I like that puuko too. What is it that you don't like about it?

Thanks tek77.
    I don't like the "rude" grade of workmanship about this knife, it seems to me "just a blade plus an handle" if you understand what I mean :-)

Quote Originally Posted by martineden View Post
    Thanks tek77.
    I don't like the "rude" grade of workmanship about this knife, it seems to me "just a blade plus an handle" if you understand what I mean :-)
    Kellam knives are made using Lauri blades. Why not buy your own Lauri blades and start making your own customized Puukkos?

I have a Kellam Wolverine, and it is a great knife, but I discovered that the same blade is sold as the Lauri PT blade for US$19. Since that discovery, I have been making my own puukkos and work knives using Lauri blanks.

(great photos btw. Nice view you have from your back yard!)

i have the Wolverine and Puukko too great knives they really hold a edge

Those "Kellams" (i.e., rebranded Ahtis) are pretty good knives. If you like the puukko design, but that particular specimen leaves you cold, you might consider stepping up to the custom, handcrafted versions. I have three, and each one is superior to the Ahti I used to have.

Pekka Tuominen

Joonas Kallioniemi

Mikko Inkeroinen

Thnaks to you. I'm not saying the Kellam Pukko is a bad knife, he just leave me cold.
    @kamagong: great pukkos you have there. I just bought a Kallioniemi, hope will be bautiful like your!

Cool, good job bud. I made the same set up a few weeks ago. Kind of makes one wonder were Mr. Mears got his info from............ Hats off to anyone actually getting off their butts and doing this stuff.

Very cool! Nice pictures also!

Gen 27:3 Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow-and go out into the fields and hunt some wild game.

Quote Originally Posted by kamagong View Post
    Those "Kellams" (i.e., rebranded Ahtis) are pretty good knives. If you like the puukko design, but that particular specimen leaves you cold, you might consider stepping up to the custom, handcrafted versions. I have three, and each one is superior to the Ahti I used to have.

Pekka Tuominen
    Is that Birch bark? That is a beautiful knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Is that Birch bark? That is a beautiful knife!
    Thanks, the handle is indeed made from birch bark. An awesome material, it has an incredibly luxurious feel.

Thread Information