Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice: Visiting the US North-East

Seeking advice: Visiting the US North-East

ADVERTISEMENT
    My family and I are planning to visit the US North-East for about 4 weeks in August/September. We'll rent a motorhome for maximum flexibility. On our list are:

- NYC
    - Pittsfield, MA (don't ask why )
    - Coast of Maine
    - Boston / Cape Cod
    - Niagara Falls / Lake Ontario
    - Appalachian Mountains

Any advice what to do, see and visit in this area would be very much appreciated. Especially tips concerning traveling by motor home. My daughter is about 2 years old, so things like rafting or rock climbing are not really an option. We are more into forests than shopping malls and more into bbq than 5 star restaurants.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Its been a while since I have been there but I would go to the Blue Ridge Mountains In western Maryland. Especially if you are going in the Fall. Sooo Beautiful. Sorry I don't have any more info but just google it and you will find all you need. You also have Luray Caverns in that area, nice place for kids, well at least I had fun when I was there back in the day.
    Last edited by Beckerhead83; 06-22-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Get to P-Town when you are Cape Cod!

One tip if you are in the woods in the N.E. with the motorhome ... check out what the locals do to avoid "tick bites" ... Lymes disease was started in that region and it is well worth avoiding ... I know because I caught it when I was over there ...

It is'nt worth getting paranoid over ... but a little prevention is a lot better than suffering the "cure" ...

Have a great time

+1 on what ^ said. Deer ticks are no joke. My mother was bit by 3 of those bad boys. I is rare though, Just check periodicly and you will be fine. I'm so jealous.

Try the Delaware water gap area. Really beautiful. Lots of outdoors activities/camping, hiking, white water rafting (not for the 2 yr old). Border of NJ/PA. This is also where you can find the AT. When going to Maine, check out Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Make sure to go whale watching, eat blueberry pie and lobster rolls.

^^^^^ This.

I was in Maine and New Hampshire the first week of June with my wife, her mother, brother and his wife. Rented a minivan and drove up the coast of Maine. If you're going as far north as Bar Harbor, you'll definitely want to drive through Acadia. Just driving through some of the coastal towns is interesting.

if youre coming through Maryland...stop and get some steamed crabs! theyre like nowhere else on earth (and Ive tried them all over)

Pittsfield Ma is a dump. However, they are in the Berkshire mountains. Head north to mount graylock in North Adams Ma for some great views and hiking.

Northern New Hampshire is great. The White Mountains remind me of the west. Mount Washington, windiest place in the world, is cool. Cars can drive up, not an RV...but there may be rides to the top. Really cool. This would fit in while heading up to Maine.
    The Vermont country side is incredibly beautiful. Definitely worth taking a drive through. I've been all over the U.S. and the little towns there are one of a kind.

Let me chime in on NYC
    Forests and BBQ... I don't know, this is really tough. BBQ sure, there are lots of restaurants and even the middle ground five-star BBQ in your OP. But forests, not likely. You can check out Central Park for some greenery, but it's right in the middle of high-traffic Manhattan, so you probably wouldn't want to drive into there with your motor home. You probably wouldn't want to go into Manhattan at all. That leaves the other four boroughs, and, to be honest, you'd be missing out on NYC if you visited just them. A good plan might be to find somewhere you can leave the motor home and take a ride on public transportation into Manhattan. You can give me a call if you want--just PM me for info--but no pressure, I can understand if you'd rather hang out just with your family.

However, Harriman and Bear Mountain State Parks and are about an hour away. Again, you might have trouble lugging around that huge motor home with the small, rural roads and limited parking for hikers, but if you find a spot, you can get some good hikes. I recommend going over to the Wilderness & Survival Skills subforum and looking up posts by JV3.

+1 on Bear Mountain. I would also recommend West Point for the history and incredible architecture, as well as being the prettiest Army post I've ever seen. And the surrounding area, The Hudson river valley, is beautiful!

You'll be passing through Buffalo, NY, on your way to Niagra Falls. While there, you should stop at the Anchor Bar and order the Buffalo wings.

You'll probably also be passing by Letchworth State Park on your way to the falls. It's definitely worth a stop.
    WANTED: Force One

+1 for Delaware water gap, Worthington national park is on the gap with campsites on the new Jersey side, lots of hiking in the area, access to Appalachian trail.
    Also cape may, nj. I will come up with plenty more.
    Jody
    NO REGRETS

WTB Puzzle Heart

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheTexican View Post
    You'll be passing through Buffalo, NY, on your way to Niagra Falls. While there, you should stop at the Anchor Bar and order the Buffalo wings.

You'll probably also be passing by Letchworth State Park on your way to the falls. It's definitely worth a stop.

Also, as long as you're going to be in Western New York, why not drive a little further west and make the pilgrimage to Wauseon? It's only about five and a half hours from Buffalo.
    WANTED: Force One

Wow. So many replies already. I'll take my time and study them in detail tomorrow morning. Thank you so much! You guys are great

The views of Niagara Falls are much better from the Canadian side. But I also enjoyed Goat Island, part of the state park on the NY side.

Also, as long as you're going to be in Western New York, why not drive a little further west and make the pilgrimage to Wauseon? It's only about five and a half hours from Buffalo.

If only we could. Of course roenman would probably buy out all the inventory. Or at least the cool Custom stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckerhead83 View Post
    Its been a while since I have been there but I would go to the Blue Ridge Mountains In western Maryland. Especially if you are going in the Fall. Sooo Beautiful. Sorry I don't have any more info but just google it and you will find all you need. You also have Luray Caverns in that area, nice place for kids, well at least I had fun when I was there back in the day.
    Seconded. You can drive alone Skyline Drive for quite a few miles ... a beautiful view and, this year, you might even see our black bears. I've seen about a dozen (mostly cubs) myself the past few months. Luray is fun for kids and there are other caves along the mountains. You might enjoy the Massanutten area and the Shenandoah River. If you want to go a bit further west, the mountains of West Virginia are lovely at that time of year.

Provided you're not against another big city, there's an enormous amount for adults and children to see in the monuments/museums area of Washington, DC. Of course, you're not driving a motorhome there -- but there are places to park that big beast in Metro parking lots ... and then you can take the Metro into DC proper and see some amazing sights.

If you like the seaside, try Eastern Maryland. Great sights, interesting people, wonderful seafood.

Anchor Bar wings. Be sure to investigate the various sauces before making a big order.

Hope you like 'em spicy.

A NYC (actually upstate) must see is Bear Mountain. It is one my favorite places on earth. If you do brave the NYC traffic you have to get a slice of pizza. Go to 5th avenue and 59th street in Brooklyn. There is a Huge Church that looks like a castle. (OLPH). About one block over is the best pizza in town. The place is called Johnie's Pizza. Tell em Franco sent you.

Unlfranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information