Thread: Any Kydex Chete Sheaths?

Any Kydex Chete Sheaths?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I need a couple of hard use sheaths for my 16" machetes. Something I can strap on my belt, throw in the back of the Ranger, or truck and not have to worry about it getting wet, dirty, or scratched. I know there are some nice leather sheaths available, but haven't seen any kydex sheaths.

I saw in a post where Dylan felt the machete might be too thin for Kydex. Why would this be?

What is everyone using? Anyone using canvas?

BTW - These machetes rock Andy!

Last edited by RedbeAR15; 06-22-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    What's Next?

I don't have a FB machete, but if you want a machete sheath, Kiah of Kiahdex Sheath Systems can set you up well

(14" Condor El Salvador)

That sheath is set up for belt, drop-leg, or over the should strap carry.

Contact him for info and pricing

My post with Rainwalker sheath....leather w/ kydex lining. Jeff does superb work...confident he could make you any kydex design you want.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...rom-RainWalker
    A plan is only good until the battle is joined.

I'm using kydex for my 12" machete. I got my sheath from Bussecrazed before he seemed to vanish. I'm not sure about the machetes being too thin for kydex as I only have the thicker 12" but the retention with my sheath is really good even without the snap on the handle.

Here it is on a pack.

Those are some nice sheaths! However I am looking for more ghetto solution. The knife costs $100 I Need a sheath that costs much less but lasts longer than cardboard
    What's Next?

I haven't seen them in the flesh, but you could maybe try some of the USGI machete sheaths. I think they are 18" but frmo the images online it seems like they might work if you cut a little off the top to fit. There is a post on BCUSA with someone modding a USGI sheath but the thread is old so the picture links are broken. That seems like it could be a cheaper way to go but still better than cardboard.

GODSPEED here on the forum made me a great sheath that fits my 12" Ontario, BK9 and attaches to my pack with the skinny tek lock - highly recommend him.

I don't have a FB machete yet but I have made a few sheaths for different machetes.
    Here one setup.

Thanks for the mention RWT! I need to add some Fiddleback Chetes to my harum

No such thing as too thin unless your pressing directly to the sheath because if your foam or press is "off" then the sheath will stay that way... you also don't want a sheath that "mirrors" the shape of the machete because then it becomes a "trap" where the machete actually has to "break" the Kydex everytime it's moved.

I can definitely make the sheath and even make a "Universal" sheath that will fit several machetes in the same sheath. I'll post some random photos of work I took pictures of before sending out.

BHK 12" Machete w/Dangler... I attach drop-loops and danglers to a Tek-Lok with an adapter plate I make (pat. pend.) which really works out well since it's still "out of the way" and goes on and off quickly.

I also make/add Baldric Sling Adapter Plates to the back and simple sling snaps on the side to allow more carry options... this is an ESEE-Lite Machete Sheath

ESEE-Lite Machete Sheath:

Not my Universal Machete Sheath but 5 different chetes I had fit the same sheath too:

Universal Design:

Not exactly full-on "Ghetto Solution" but I guarantee my sheaths so it'll last as long as your machete and trust me on this... there is a huge difference in build quality/fit & finish from one Kydex Sheath maker to the next. Also, options like the above completely change the usefulness/utility of a machete.... with one of my "systems" you can go from belt to baldric sling to pack in no time at all.

Hope this helps,

Eli
    For Custom Kydex Sheaths:
    Godspeed Tactical

Eli, those are some good looking Kydex sheaths! I especially like the pointy tipped ones.
    Heber Ellsworth
    Email: wildmanh@yahoo.com

Honest question here:

In my eyes, one of the advantages kydex has over leather, is that the actual kydex retains the knife (or machete, axe head, etc.) and there isn't a need for additional retention straps. Are you able to make a kydex sheath with decent retention without having to use a retention strap?

Only reason I ask is because I always cut those darn straps and would rather not have to have one.

Not big on straps either so I had Eric at Mashed Cat sheaths make this one with only handle retention. Sorry for the crappy pics but wanted to get them up. He also made the backing plate and completely adjustable drop leg strap. Eric is well known in Busse circles, does outstanding work, and turnaround time was less than two weeks. This is a relatively light-weight setup and the slots on the side of the sheath allow it to be strapped down to my thigh or the side of my pack. I can also set it up with tek-loks, molles, or paracord; kydex with well spaced eyelets provide a lot of versatility. It wasn't cheap but the overall package is worth more than the sum of the parts and I am glad to not have to worry about retention or re-sheathing issues, especially when in thick brush.

Andy, still loving the khukri-like tip on the 12" machete, do they all have that or is it unique to the 12? Anyways, this tool is awesome in the garden, the hedgerow, the creek-bottom, the campsite...I could go on and on. Wish I had more pics.

Woh, that's nice! I'll take it. I'll PM you my addy!

Thanks for taking the time to post those pics.

Very Nice Indeed! I'll take 2
    What's Next?

here is some home made kydex for one drop leg set up

Nice setup GS!
    Happily addicted to barrel aged brew, titanium, and bushfingers!!!

Thread Information