Thread: My Western W49

My Western W49

ADVERTISEMENT
    Bought recently on Ebay. Made in 1984.

Nice! I've been wanting to get my hands on a W49 bowie for awhile myself.

Back when I bought the W36 (see my other thread) I would rather have has the W49 off the same rack. Being that I was only 14 at the time, I couldn't see paying the additional (paltry) extra for the 49 and my mom would have had fits with me running aroung the farm with that big bowie.

I've wanted one ever since and just got 'round to it.

I used to have a cheap Pakistani knock off W49 (which admittedly held up surprisingly well considering it was made in Pakistan) but I've always wanted the real thing. It's funny, I've had multiple chances over the years to get one at a decent price on ebay but have never done so. I probably should bite one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Knives 86 View Post
    I used to have a cheap Pakistani knock off W49 (which admittedly held up surprisingly well considering it was made in Pakistan) but I've always wanted the real thing. It's funny, I've had multiple chances over the years to get one at a decent price on ebay but have never done so. I probably should bite one of these days.
    I'll be straight with you on the price. $121.99 on Ebay. Came in at least 95%. All I did to it was touch up some fingerprint tarnishes that weren't even noticable but by the picky, using 2000 grit sandpaper. I shoe polished and applied Neetsfoot preservative to the sheath. I added the leather tie down to the sheath.

Now, it is my new favorite of my big knives.

It took me decades to get one I wanted. By the time I had money for such luxuries Camillus was making them only in 420HC. I did buy one on closeout but it took another 10 years to get a good carbon steel model I wanted since I was a kid.

Mine wasn't in as good condition as yours. Congratulations.

Joe

I bought this one back in the '80s from Cabella's. It was able to take all my teenage years could throw at it! It lives in a drawer now, though.

Josh

Now you need a beater so you can do the "Bagwell Mods" on it

Quote Originally Posted by Nixelplix View Post
    I bought this one back in the '80s from Cabella's. It was able to take all my teenage years could throw at it! It lives in a drawer now, though.

Now you just teasing me with that b.p. revolver.

You may be onto something there! Maybe while my wife is still OK with all of these knives I've beet buying from Ebay lately.

Being that we are in the 35th year of our marriage, I know a bit about placating her. She was just yesterday presented with a beautifully repolished Buck 102 that she is just tickled with. It's now in a revered storage place in a top drawer with the vintage Schrade Sharpfinger and one of her .38 Specials, both of which I got her as well.

Thread Information