Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All those who wantec an A.G. Russell giant lockback sunfish...

All those who wantec an A.G. Russell giant lockback sunfish...

ADVERTISEMENT
    but couldn't get one because they were sold out....or the texas ranger version wasn't to their taste

Hold on to your hats....because the company just posted this on facebook:

No one cares apparently....

That's cute little knife. Are you getting one?
    The new AGR folders are first rate!

Blog Entries
    i didn't know they existed! i want one now after seeing them!

Went to AG Russell website, couldn't find it. Where is it made?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    Little knife? I think not.

How much does it weigh?
    Anthony Q. Cheeseboro

I am a fan of the large sunfish pattern and very interested to learn a little more about it. It is definitely a knife you can gets your hands around and exert a fair amount of force when cutting.

Not this one I think. Although the cocobolo version is tempting. I already have the 2010 Texas Ranger version. I think 1 of these beasts is more than enough.

Also, they're hardly small....the spine of the blade is close to 1/4 inch thick.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
    Went to AG Russell website, couldn't find it. Where is it made?
    They're not on the website yet. This is a picture of a the prototypes I think. They're made in china as to keep the cost afforable. I suspect they'll cost around $70-75 for the cocobolo version and cheaper for the yellow delrin and black rucarta (rucarta is A.G.'s version of micarta) versions.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony cheeseboro View Post
    How much does it weigh?
    \
    I haven't weighed mine....but I've heard 10 ounces quoted....so yeah....hardly small.

And yes, it's an EXCELLENT hard working knife due to the thick blade it's very strong and sturdy to grip, the flat grind combined with the wide blade make it very slicey.

Just a bit ....pocket heavy. I suggest getting the sheaths with them that will undoubtedly be offered.

My concern is that I would be paying two-thirds the price of a GEC knife with what might be essentially the same steel used in such knives made by Rough Rider and Frost Cutlery ($10 > $15 knives). Guess you have to trust AG Russell....

My concern is that I would be paying two-thirds the price of a GEC knife with what might be essentially the same steel used in such knives made by Rough Rider and Frost Cutlery ($10 > $15 knives). Guess you have to trust AG Russell....

I have one of the inexpensive large sodbuster patterns by AG Russel. The fit and finish is far an above knives costing 3 times more. Everything smooth, polished, Zero gaps anywhere. A lovely knife.

Yup. It'll be built in China but the quality will be great. I own our have owned about 5 knives coming from the same factory and the fit and finish is excellent on all of them.

The steel might not be the latest and greatest but it can't be beat in value. Don't be mistaken, the 8Cr13Mov might not be 440C but it's a lot better than the 440a used on rough riders. From everything I've read about it it should be on par with 440B....which Randall uses.

I am a fan of the large sunfish pattern and very interested to learn a little more about it. It is definitely a knife you can gets your hands around and exert a fair amount of force when cutting.
    So in other words, it's like a tactical locking knife, wearing the cloths of a traditional. Kind of what it looks like to me. Just give it a thumb stud. This isn't meant to be derogatory. Just an observation. It's interesting.

It doesn't need a thumbstud since the nailnick is deep enough to open the blade one handed.

Sorry... Big folder!
    It's a tad too heavy for this spider.

Understandable. As a sidenote they just posted the following comment on facebook:

Sorry everyone but the Sunfish has not been added to our website quite yet. The item number will be RUS-CY12CO. I'm filming the video now and that should answer a lot of your questions. The sunfish is due in at the end of July FYI.

I've handled the Texas Ranger version a couple years ago, and it was quite a beast. I really liked the feel of it in the hand, but could not imagine actually carrying it around. I may have to pick up the dressed down version (or dressed up with Cocobolo) just to have around, as I do like the design. Just for more info, you can easily open these one-handed, as the action is very smooth, and gives a confidence-inspiring click when locking open.
    -Daniel
    Knife Rights membership #1088
    http://www.kniferights.org/
    You cannot believe everything you read on the internet.
    -Abraham Lincoln

And here's the promotional video

Sorry, just cannot see the point of this folding shovel.
    -Corey

Blog Entries
    Sorry... Big folder!
    It's a tad too heavy for this spider.

Get the GEC sunfish. Big knife in its own right but much lighter than this beast, and the blade is thin enough to be a great slicer.

That said, these AG Russell knives are top quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information