Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTKZ, KZ2,.......Killa Zilla 3 next?

The exact spot that i have my sharpies sent to

TTKZ, KZ2,.......Killa Zilla 3 next?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Is there any plan for a Helium Killa Zilla in the making?

A lighter Zilla would be tempting .... very tempting ....

Two would be very tempting..

KZ III = light brigade treatment + Res-C handle

RES C handle would take off some weight just by it's self.

A RES-C KZ would also be awesome for the shock absorption.

Mmmm,TT shape handle, 3/16 inch thick with light brigade handle treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Jroden5446 View Post
    Mmmm,TT shape handle, 3/16 inch thick with light brigade handle treatment
    I'd be okay with a thinner TTKZ, not sure if I'd want the light brigade treatment though.

Oh, a longer, thinner, TTKZ. I love fatties but something with a 3/16" thick, 13" blade would be scheeeeeew
    "Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir the check is in the mail" - Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China
    "Catch me in five minutes, I'll smell like hard liquor" - Al Bundy

Inducted Blade 2010- Ham67

Yall beat me too it, I have been thinking about a Baisc Zilla. That would be soooo sick, .32 thick with full flat grind convex edge. something around 22 OZ would be IMO ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by M67 View Post
    I'd be okay with a thinner TTKZ, not sure if I'd want the light brigade treatment though.

Oh, a longer, thinner, TTKZ. I love fatties but something with a 3/16" thick, 13" blade would be scheeeeeew

I was thinking Light brigade treatment to help move the weight balance even more into the blade to help with chopping. I remember the BWM being very light at 3/16, but not chopping as well as I like. A slightly longer blade would be great as well

I'm in. A "Basic" Zilla with a thinner blade, and balanced as a blade-weighted chopper, and Res-C....you guys have some great ideas on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by M67 View Post

NO LITE BRIGADE stuff!!! If you reduce the mass in the hilt (skeletonize) you are going to weaken it period. A thinned down blade will allow harmonics to travel faster and at a higher frequency. This will always impart stress on the metal. Maintain a 3/16 (.1875) thickness troughout like as in the BWM or even go thinner say .115 to .125", but leave the tang a FULL tang. I don't care if you're talking INFI or not thin is thin and it will break due to impact, vibration & harmonics. If you want it blade heavy then make it longer i.e. a MACHETTE with a bolo tip. Now if Jerry made a Machette say .115 I would be all over that. Question is the cost of INFI in a Blade that size. We are always having to examine steels for stress cracks and heat fatigue here at the plant. So it's something I do have some background with. The science of steel is amazing and I learn something new everyday. Skeletonized steel in a small blade is fine cause it will primarily be used for cutting, but hacking/chopping best leave well enough alone and leave it a full tang.

The KZ is one of the last 2 Busse Grail's that i have on my list

although i have a nasty feeling that the new NO is going on that list too.

Please don't talk jerry into taking MORE of my money

One more thing and that's looking a traditional KUKRI. They have a tappered Tang, but they are NOT skeletonized. This allows for fluid movement of vibration from tip to pommel. When you take harmonics that get generated and then start going around corners if you will, that is where you get you weak point most often. Take a person who forges a blade and what do they do where the tang meets the ricasso? It will have a smooth transition cause if it where say cut or shaped at a 90' angle chances are it would break right there. It creats a week link!!!

Yup, been asking for a Bazilla for over a year now... or a Khukrat if we can't get res-c on an INFI Zilla.

Please bring the Basic 8 first though, since that has actually been a completed design.

Right on Tim!!!...

Some great thoughts here

A lighter Res C Zilla in the 22-26 oz range would be fulfilment of a long held wish ...

If they are going to do a Basic 8 can some please be elf choil and ASM edge with full right angle grinds and no taper just like the originals ....

Quote Originally Posted by RussMo View Post
    NO LITE BRIGADE stuff!!! If you reduce the mass in the hilt (skeletonize) you are going to weaken it period. A thinned down blade will allow harmonics to travel faster and at a higher frequency. This will always impart stress on the metal.
    Jerry made a post regarding the light brigade treatment saying specifically that it's not a skeletonizing process, that he avoids skeletonized tangs on anything that will be used for chopping because of the tuning fork effect of amplified vibrations in the hand. With the treatment you don't have empty spaces, you don't have a geometric shell: you have a series of I-beams with radiused corners. Having not used them I can't guarantee that they'll be smooth as butter in use, but they are not exactly what your describing, which has a history of use to verify your points. I-beams are meant to be a half way point between the weakening effects of a lighter bar, but with the strength of a solid heavy bar. No, it's not necessarily as strong as a solid bar but it is much stronger and much stiffer than it's thinned down light but straight counterpart (or skeletonized).

This:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...28Cool-Pics%29

(I can't help but think the corners will be less sharp on the final product, but I could be wrong)

Is not the same as this:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Visible Canary View Post
    Jerry made a post regarding the light brigade treatment saying specifically that it's not a skeletonizing process, that he avoids skeletonized tangs on anything that will be used for chopping because of the tuning fork effect of amplified vibrations in the hand. With the treatment you don't have empty spaces, you don't have a geometric shell: you have a series of I-beams with radiused corners. Having not used them I can't guarantee that they'll be smooth as butter in use, but they are not exactly what your describing, which has a history of use to verify your points. I-beams are meant to be a half way point between the weakening effects of a lighter bar, but with the strength of a solid heavy bar. No, it's not necessarily as strong as a solid bar but it is much stronger and much stiffer than it's thinned down light but straight counterpart (or skeletonized).

This:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...28Cool-Pics%29

(I can't help but think the corners will be less sharp on the final product, but I could be wrong)

Is not the same as this:
    LVC, YOUR RIGHT, DAMN I'm sorry all !!! Boy do I feel like a dope. Uh, yes the I-beam is the LB. Thanks for the clarification on my brain fart, BUT I still don't and won't own any of the skeleton stuff, but the jury is not back on the I-beam either. I still prefer JUNK IN THE TRUNK !!!

PS: Jerry please excuse my stupid attack!!!
    Last edited by RussMo; 06-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.

I see the technical difference between the I-beam and Skeletonized ... but for strength and proven ability on the chopping front I would much prefer a Basic style handle with a Res C grip shaped on the same design as the TT Zilla. Akin in many ways to a traditional hidden tang khukri.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPHWS View Post
    I see the technical difference between the I-beam and Skeletonized ... but for strength and proven ability on the chopping front I would much prefer a Basic style handle with a Res C grip shaped on the same design as the TT Zilla. Akin in many ways to a traditional hidden tang khukri.
    +1, EXACTLY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information