Thread: D2 & 154cm

D2 & 154cm

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've been EDC'ing my BM 556 at work as well as outside. Thus far, I have had a dedicated work knife that does not get EDC time.

The Mini-Grip has slowly come to be my most frequent EDC, and I wanted to see if it could take on the cutting tasks my work knife gets asked to do.

I'm satisfied with it's performance, but I have been thinking about purchasing a Ritter for some time, both because I like the blade design a little better, and because my black/black 556 is a little less sheeple friendly than a yellow handle and stonewashed blade Ritter. For whatever reason, bright colors seem to equate more with "tool" than "weapon", even though it cuts the same, and it's hard to look intimidating with a Mini-Grip, no matter what color.

My 556 has a D2 blade, and before I purchase Doug's incarnation, I need to know if the 154CM he uses will compare favorably with D2, especially for edge retention, because my knife gets used to cut lots of dense and/or abrasive materials.

I'm sure the question has been asked before. If somebody could throw the link my way, I'd be grateful.

for goodness sake, don't get mired down worrying about 'sheeple friendly' or otherwise. Pick your knife based on performance parameters, and leave the PC crap to the 'sheeple'.

I have both D2 and 154CM Benchmade knives. Both give me excellent edge retention and performance.
    Nemo me impune lacaset

Rat Pack #875

Thankya.

(Gets soapbox out from under chair, climbs up on it)

I wouldn't worry about the PC crap, except that I carry a knife, and I feel an obligation to do so responsibly. There are far too many people who are willing to focus on the times when a knife has been used to hurt people or cause property damage. I cannot force the media to cover equally those times when a knife is used to free someone who has been trapped, or to simplify life by opening and removing the variety of annoying packages and fasteners that surround us.

I cannot force people to use their knives responsibly in the first place, either. There will always be people who see a knife as the easiest way to get what they want, and never think about the person they are about to hurt.

I can control my own actions, and so I choose to carry and use my knife in a responsible fashion, to help others in whatever way I can. Perception plays a role in this, and I have at least one personal experience in which the color of my knife diminished the perception of it as a helpful tool.

At the very least, we, the knife-using community, can choose not to add to the negative perception of knives.

At the very best, we, the knife-using community, can choose to add to the positive perception of knives.

My knife, my cutting tool, performs based on edge geometry, metal chemistry, and heat-treat process. Not color.

But the way people choose to perceive my cutting tool, is very affected by color.

So I have to pay attention, too.

(Puts away soapbox)

Thank you.

There are far too many people who are willing to focus on the times when a knife has been used to hurt people or cause property damage. I cannot force the media to cover equally those times when a knife is used to free someone who has been trapped, or to simplify life by opening and removing the variety of annoying packages and fasteners that surround us.
    I think you have let the few bad apples get to you. We surround them, it's not the other way around. We are not crazy, they are. The few want to pretend their ideals are what the general population believes, but they get surprised when they find out they are the minority. It's scary to them, that there are people that have control over their lives, and their ability to survive on their own.

But the way people choose to perceive my cutting tool, is very affected by color.
    The color of a knife? Really? I see you said you had a bad experience with this, but I can't imagine why? If someone really has that big of a problem with my knife because of the color.......than I won't be sad we are not friends.

I believe that the Ritter uses S30V, not 154CM. The company charts say that S30V is tougher and more wear resistant than D2. Personally, I am skeptical
    about this. I have a knife in S30V and it holds an edge really well. However, I have read reports of chipping with S30V, especially with the Ritter. I don't know
    if any of this is true. You may want to ask about this and search the web for S30V chipping. What do you do with your knife that makes you ask about edge retention? Do you cut stuff that might cause a brittle, too hard steel to chip? It is hard to generalize about 154CM and D2. The heat treatment and blade contours matter. From the same company, I'd expect similar performance for D2 and 154CM, but all 154CM is not equal - and the same goes for D2. The blade shape is different for the Ritter, and the edge is thinner. It will probably cut some things better than the conventional MG blade, but may not be as "tough" or hard use.
    Mind you, I am only commenting on what I have read. My Spyderco in S30V gets very light use. I have used a regular 154CM 556 mini grip for lots of chores, including cutting lots of rope when moving, and have never had a problem. Edge retention is not up there with ZDP189, but it is better than 440C, for example.
    The regular 154CM bladed knives can be had for $65-$70, while the Ritter model is over $110. Personally, I have wondered whether the blade steel and shape are worth the increased cost.

I cannot find it in my heart to worry much about sheeple. They'll ONLY get over it, with TIME and EXPOSURE.
    In the meantime, I have my own life to lead, the best I know how.
    p.s. I would take D2.
    Sonny

Yea, I think we're talking about D2 vs. S30V but based on what I've read they're essentially in the same ballpark and you're unlikely to notice a huge difference in edge retention. Here's Ankerson's invaluable Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention (and of course hardness is crucial.)

It's a can of worms, but I'm pretty much on board with your second post as well.

The Ritter is s30v.
    It's a great knife and I think you'll love it.
    s30v vs. D2.... well I love both.
    =]

I don't have any experience with d2 yet (I'm about to order a JYD2.2) So I can't give yo u any info on it it but I have owned about twenty knives in s30v. It's a fantastic blade steel all around but if you want something that stays crazy sharp, It's not for you. S30 will lose it's super sharp edge but keep a very good "working edge" for a crazy long time. Since you are cutting a bunch of abrasive materials, I think you'd be fine with either steel. That's just my two cents.

Bob Dozier has been the only maker to consistently get D2 just right IMHO. It's all in the heat treat. s30v is an incredible steel, but from what I hear, the heat treat has to be absolutely spot on. And There has been reports of microchipping, which apparently the newer s35vn is supposed to help resolve. I have a Chris Reeves Green Beret and the knife on my Leatherman Charge TTI is s30v, haven't had any problems whatsoever with either of them and they've seen some serious shit. And i agree, whole-heartedly, with everyone else, with regards to the PC police and the sheeple. Know and follow all laws, local, state and federal and you should be fine. Don't know the laws? See if u can score some time with your local DA's office. Don't put much stock in what the Net says about your local laws unless it comes from a government website. Follow the laws and damn what the sheep think.

Thread Information