Thread: Butler Derringers

Butler Derringers

ADVERTISEMENT
    Me and my dad were just at a gun show. They had a box set of butler .22 short single shot derringers. The numbers matched. They were in fair condition and had sequential serial numbers. The box came with them. One had a mother of pearl handle with a bronzed steel barrel and frame. The other had a wooden handle with a brass frame and blues barrel. I have a couple of questions. Does anybody know anything about these derringers and this brand? And what would be a good price for that?

I had one many years ago. Although they looked good, mine was a POS. I had many FTF's. I sold it. I think there may have been problems with the hammer spring.

These derringers are based on the Colt Thule design and are known for light hammer strikes . . . but a second attempt at firing will usually set them off, and certain brands of ammo (Federal, CCI) are more sensitive than others. A few "Made in Germany" versions of the Butler were imported prior to the 1968 GCA import ban and they are very similar but a lot cheaper. A NIB boxed set will be overpriced for what it is . . . which is basically a display set to hang on the wall.

Just get this:

It's .22magnum, which is light years more reliable than .22 short or .22lr. It's 350 +75 if you want a .22lr conversion. They will ship around August.

The NAA deringer is a a great little (tiny) gun.

Thread Information