Thread: Identifying Stainless and 1095 from Tang Stamps?

Identifying Stainless and 1095 from Tang Stamps?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Not finding the answer to this digging around using the search function....

Is it safe to assume that a Camillus knife is 1095 if it lacks the "stainless" tang stamp?

I'm primarily interested in Camillus Scout, Camper and Cub Scout type knives, but am also interested in some of the lock back knives.

I'm mostly interested in 1095 blades though and some of the examples I see that lack the "stainless" stamp sure look awfully shiny - too shiny.

Thanks

I have been waiting for someone to answer as I would like to know also.

Quote Originally Posted by pinnah View Post
    Not finding the answer to this digging around using the search function....
    I too have been interested in waiting for some definitive answer to your question. I strongly suspect that there isn't a universal one that applies to all of their products.

Is it safe to assume that a Camillus knife is 1095 if it lacks the "stainless" tang stamp?
    From one example I'm familiar with I would have to say that the answer is "NO". When Camillus bought the rights to Western Knives and started making some of the models I've seen where Camillus changed the blade steel from a high carbon to a stainless steel. Yet on the examples of those knives I've examined there were no marking on the knife that the blade was made of stainless. The only indication was in the catalog description of the knife.

I'm primarily interested in Camillus Scout, Camper and Cub Scout type knives, but am also interested in some of the lock back knives.
    I can't say that I'm familiar enough with these models to provide any help.

I'm mostly interested in 1095 blades though and some of the examples I see that lack the "stainless" stamp sure look awfully shiny - too shiny.
    Sometimes when enough time has passed certain types of steel are more prone to developing piticular types of patina which can help in deciding if they are likely a non stainless type of steel.

Thanks
    Hope this is of some help.

Thread Information