Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1 View Post
    I'll add an acrylic 25.

Russell

This is a 2008 Black/Grey Acrylic, GEC Open House model. This was before the Acrylics were given names. I do like the grits and mollases name though!

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1 View Post
    This is a 2008 Black/Grey Acrylic, GEC Open House model. This was before the Acrylics were given names. I do like the grits and mollases name though!

Russell
    Thanks, Russell!

Also: Sigh.

Anyone else ever sometimes feel like GEC exists to demonstrate what you missed? Small smile.

~ P.

#25 Barlow in green sawcut bone arrived today, and it is a sweet little knife. The pulls are ~5 or so, the pen blade spring is noticeably thinner than the clip. Since it has SS liners I assume it's a later model, 2011 according to the dealer site. Sharp out of the tube too

Now to take some pics...

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    Anyone else ever sometimes feel like GEC exists to demonstrate what you missed?
    Everytime I see a picture of that lovely carved pumpkin bone 73 belonging to Johnny Twoshoes!

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    #25 Barlow in green sawcut bone arrived today, and it is a sweet little knife. The pulls are ~5 or so, the pen blade spring is noticeably thinner than the clip. Since it has SS liners I assume it's a later model, 2011 according to the dealer site. Sharp out of the tube too

Now to take some pics...
    ...Yeah, about that. Too bad it just missed the Photo Shoot! I look forward to seeing the green.

Your knife's year will be stamped directly onto the back of the main blade; if it ends in '11, it's a 2011 model. In fact, I'm going to guess the tang stamp reads 251211, same as my barlow (same model with different scales, but scales aren't reflected on tang stamps): 25= frame, 1= clip main, 2= 2 blades, 11= year.

The spring on the secondary blade of my 09 Jack, in this case a clip (as I got l'arned about) also has a "noticeably thinner" spring than the main blade:

... That doesn't prevent it from being a mondo stiff little bugger, while the pen secondary on my barlow (harder to see steel-on-steel, but also narrower than the main) is the easiest to open of the four blades on the two knives.

(The bone on the Jack isn't gapped at either liner, but some coloration where the two materials meet sometimes lends the impression of a gap when photographed.)

Some more comparison shots:

My barlow after its first taste of steak earlier today:

~ P.

That doesn't prevent it from being a mondo stiff little bugger
    Quoted because it is one of the finer descriptions I have come across recently.

I don't care for stiff blade actions, and have avoided these cute little fellas for that reason.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    Quoted because it is one of the finer descriptions I have come across recently.

I don't care for stiff blade actions, and have avoided these cute little fellas for that reason.
    Yes, I can understand that. My mondo stiff little bugger (heh) is heading back to the Mother Ship next week for some flexibility training. I love the hard SNAP from half-stop to full-open, but need to be able to consistently approach (let alone open-- what say) the blade from fully-closed without cringing first.

In other news, Grape Grape Joy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dead View Post
    And I got another GEC #25. This time in Grape.

Quote Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
    I like the etches on the 440C models too. They are more subtle and the design looks better to me.

Trand, we must have had the same train of thought. I've had this one for less than a week.

So fine.

How well does the sheepsfoot blade sit in the handle of these 25s when the knife is closed (it suddenly occurs that almost all pictures show the knives open)? Have any of you had to file kicks, etc.?

~ P.

I haven't had to file the kicks down on any of mine.

No filing here either but the sheepsfoot sits very proud when closed. Photobucket won't work on my computer here at work but I'll post a pic later of the knife closed unless somebody beats me to it.

Being a single blade knife, I find the proud blade an advantage. Even if the Ez-Open notch was not there there would still be enough blade to grab onto and pinch it open. I've never used the nail nick on any of the #25 sheepfoots that I've owned. If I remember correctly, the Tidioutes, or at least some of them, don't even have a nail nick.

I have my Grape #25 and a ruler with me now. At its highest point, the blade rises 3/8" above the handle. Measured from the straight part of the handle, not the EO notch.
    Rick T.

Here you go, P.

It isn't visible in my pic but the tip of the blade sits far enough into the well that I can run my finger over that area and not feel a thing.
    Rick T.

Quote Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
    Here you go, P.
    Thanks much-- that's helpful.

I'm a little curious as to why the sheepsfoot blade rides quite that high, however, given how well the spearpoints sink into the handle. The sheepsfoot doesn't look that much wider...? I s'pose if I ever handle the actual knives, it will make sense.

~ P.

My Bulldog sheepsfoot doesn't have a nail nick and it pinches open nicely

Here's the Barlow (if you haven't already seen it )

Still hard to see the green, it's very dark even in natural sunlight when the photo was taken. And it is a 2011 too. It's a sweet little knife!

I haven't been interested in knives with purple handles but those look pretty nice. The first pic looks like a deep purple...kinda growing on me!
    "We'll take two chicken pot pies"
    ~Randy

Quote Originally Posted by glocktenman View Post
    I haven't been interested in knives with purple handles but those look pretty nice. The first pic looks like a deep purple...kinda growing on me!
    I agree, Randy. I've been eyeballing these for a while now and they keep looking better and better. Part of it just may be because it's something a little different, which always appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    I'm a little curious as to why the sheepsfoot blade rides quite that high, however, given how well the spearpoints sink into the handle. The sheepsfoot doesn't look that much wider...? I s'pose if I ever handle the actual knives, it will make sense.

~ P.
    It's because of the curve of the backspring. Since the spear blade has a similar curve, it can sink lower without hitting the tip. The only way to have it ride much lower would be to shorten the blade so that it cleared the curved portion of the backspring.
    Dan

re: Sheepsfoot blade in a 25:

Quote Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
    It's because of the curve of the backspring. Since the spear blade has a similar curve, it can sink lower without hitting the tip. The only way to have it ride much lower would be to shorten the blade so that it cleared the curved portion of the backspring.
    Thanks, that makes good sense.

~ P.

Mondo Stiff Little Bugger No More:

I took my Appaloosa Jack (which I affectionately refer to as my "Apple Jack") with me to GEC yesterday, at which Chris Tucker directed me to "Give it to Bill, he'll take care of it." "Bill" went off with my knife for a short while, then returned it to me with the clip secondary blade a pleasure to open. "Bill" being Mr. Bill Howard, the owner at GEC.

Here's my Apple Jack with its secondary clip blade (easily!) open, plus my Barlow with its secondary pen, plus,-- whoa, how did that happen?

In other news of the 25, I was transfixed by the displays of the 25s from earlier years, and took really bad pictures of them (they were behind glass x 2, under bright lights), just so I could remember having seen them:

Better yet, I was told that there would likely be more 25s coming out this year(!). Oh, I hope.

~ P.

Good to hear your knife was taken care of, the bone on that one is a fine sight indeed.

Thanks, Will

Patriotic Acrylic

Hey guys, haven't been around here in a while. Too much of a good thing can be bad, especially for my wallet. Anyhow, here are my 25's.....

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information