Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer rifle recommendation

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by TPVT View Post
    thanks for the tip on the ammo. something i really am trying to learn. Monofletch mentioned the Ruger American. i have read they are decent. they have been in all the magazines. all the reviews are positive, but i haven't talked to anyone who has actually shot one. i mean...those are going for $350 brand new at the local shops. yikes!
    Well that's what I am talking about. Some Savage models are pretty easy on the pocketbook but have fewer problems than most other manufatures in the same price range. My experiance going up against a Savage was pretty humbling. Many years ago I used to shoot 1000 yard comp. I was at the range practicing when I noticed the guy next to me was pulling groups right on par with mine (in my defense I was shooting .308, he was shooting .300WSM). My rifle was a tuned FN Herstal with the M70 action, he was using a pretty much stock Savage. My rifle had about $4,000 (optics included) tied up in it, the guy next to me said he spent $900 for his rifle and $700 for the scope. Ever since then I have had a healthy respect for Savage.
    Last edited by Longtrang; 06-27-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrang View Post
    Well that's what I am talking about. Some Savage models are pretty easy on the pocketbook but have fewer problems than most other manufatures in the same price range. My experiance going up against a Savage was pretty humbling. Many years ago I used to shoot 1000 yard comp. I was at the rage practicing when I noticed the guy next to me was pulling groups right on par with mine (in my defense I was shooting .308, he was shooting .300WSM). My rifle was a tuned FN Herstal with the M70 action, he was using a pretty much stock Savage. My rifle had about $4,000 (optics included) tied up in it, the guy next to me said he spent $900 for his rifle and $700 for the scope. Ever since then I have had a healthy respect for Savage.
    well, i guess i better take a look then. thanks.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the M70 I was just saying if you like the Savage don't be scared off by the cheap price.

While I don't own a Model 70 I have had the pleasure of handling an shooting several. The F&F is much more refined on the Model 70 and the action is smoother. The Savage may not compete in the looks department but can hold its own on the range or in the field.

For hunting under 100 yds my choice is an unscoped Winchester 30-30 lever action, preferably a pre-64 with a peep sight. Over 100 yds I always go with a .180 gr. bullet in a 30-06. My favorite rifle is a Ruger No.1, preferably pre-warning.
    "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #41.

The newer Marlin X7's are a fantastic deal and are extremely well made and accurate, and inexpensive! You can get them in long or short actions, and i agree the .270 is a solid choice. Combine that with a Nikon 3x9 BDC and you have a pretty solid deer rifle that will shoot and will not crush your wallet. If I were going to spend a little more, I'd pick a bolt action from Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, or .260. No recoil and hits deer like magic!

Good Luck
    Dan
    Last edited by danc; 06-27-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK Knives View Post
    The only rifles I have any experience with are Winchester Model 94 in .30-.30, Marlin Lever in .35, Ruger #1 and #3 in .223 and 6mm, Remington 600 in .243, and Remington 700 in .223, .270. 30-06, and .308.
    Those Ruger #1s are my all time favorites. What a great feeling and shooting rifle.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete. I wish I could have done more.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

nice new pic protourist. i have seen those. they have the "unusual" trigger guard, right? are they all single shot? thanks.
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

nice new pic protourist. i have seen those. they have the "unusual" trigger guard, right? are they all single shot? thanks.
    Correct.

My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

I have been hunting deer in MO for 25 years and have used .270 Win the entire time. I love this caliber as it is extremely flat shooting. I have a Ruger M-77 in this caliber. You need to think of the land you will be hunting and the what the bullet may come in contact with enrolee to your target. If bushy, go 30-30. Open go flat. I have minimal drop from 100 to 200 yards.

i have a 357 lever, super rifle, light, accurate.

My first deer rifle was borrowed, a Remington 788 in 308win. I really liked both the rifle and the round. Those 788's seem to have a cult like following now days, and all the one's I've seen produce tight groups. I liked the short action 308 with it's light recoil, so when I bought myself a deer rifle I went with a 7mm-08 in a Savage with the accu-trigger. I've had it for 5yrs or so and I've been very pleased with it.

On your original question I believe I'd go with the Tikka over the Browning. That Winchester 70 you found sounds good too, if it's still there.

I've got a 788 in 22-250. It is unbelievably accurate. A fantastic little rifle.

I had one in .222 and a .6mm years ago.

My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

thank you to everyone for all the info and suggestions. I will now have to take a look at the Remington 788.

Keep your eyes on the used rifle market then. They haven't been made in quite some time. If you do find one it will be a good rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    Keep your eyes on the used rifle market then. They haven't been made in quite some time. If you do find one it will be a good rifle.
    i do not plan to buy new. my best case scenario will be to find a good condition used rifle with a scope already mounted (a quality one). we have several shops in the area that have a pretty good selection.

i do not plan to buy new. my best case scenario will be to find a good condition used rifle with a scope already mounted (a quality one). we have several shops in the area that have a pretty good selection.
    That's how I bought mine many years ago. It had been owned by a famous gun writer that sold it when he bought a newer and "better" rifle. He wanted it back soon after. The new one wasn't nearly as accurate.

Lever action!
    Love 'em!
    Marlin not Winchester!
    I just love the Marlin levers.
    Took my first buck with a 336 in 35 rem out in NC,& now have an 1895 in 45/70 for elk & deer here in WA.

I haven't owned a Savage Bolt gun,but hear nothing but good.
    I have had a couple of 788s in 308,cheaply made,but like said accurate.
    And a few Ruger 77s in 300win mag,06 & 308.Not the best accuracy,but cheap at the time.
    I just gave up my Ruger 77 compact 308 for the Marlin 45/70 because I don't take long shots & love Marlin Levers.
    I started hunting with a bow in the 80s so long shots for me are out to 100 yds. with a rifle.
    Heck I've never seen a deer or elk at long range,always close so a Marlin Lever is all I figure I need.
    I did take a buck with a 270 rem model 6 though.That was at a stepped off 100 yds.so give or take a few.
    Had to sell it & most of my guns when I got out of the suck.

Get what feels good when you shoulder it & work the action with it in your shoulder.
    I find a lever action feels more comfortable/less awkward when working the action with it at my shoulder.
    The Lever action is a downward & away stroke vs an up & towards my face stroke of a bolt action.
    A bolt is going to be more accurate & you should only need one shot so I'd recommend one for a beginner.
    Just practice as much as you can afford the ammo before you head into the woods so you can make a clean one shot kill.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

CANCER SUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by mykel m View Post
    Lever action!
    Love 'em!
    Marlin not Winchester!
    I just love the Marlin levers.
    Took my first buck with a 336 in 35 rem out in NC,& now have an 1895 in 45/70 for elk & deer here in WA.

I haven't owned a Savage Bolt gun,but hear nothing but good.
    I have had a couple of 788s in 308,cheaply made,but like said accurate.
    And a few Ruger 77s in 300win mag,06 & 308.Not the best accuracy,but cheap at the time.
    I just gave up my Ruger 77 compact 308 for the Marlin 45/70 because I don't take long shots & love Marlin Levers.
    I started hunting with a bow in the 80s so long shots for me are out to 100 yds. with a rifle.
    Heck I've never seen a deer or elk at long range,always close so a Marlin Lever is all I figure I need.
    I did take a buck with a 270 rem model 6 though.That was at a stepped off 100 yds.so give or take a few.
    Had to sell it & most of my guns when I got out of the suck.

Get what feels good when you shoulder it & work the action with it in your shoulder.
    I find a lever action feels more comfortable/less awkward when working the action with it at my shoulder.
    The Lever action is a downward & away stroke vs an up & towards my face stroke of a bolt action.
    A bolt is going to be more accurate & you should only need one shot so I'd recommend one for a beginner.
    Just practice as much as you can afford the ammo before you head into the woods so you can make a clean one shot kill.
    thanks myke. good stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information