Thread: Desert Roadhouse...Some observations and pics.

Thumbs up Desert Roadhouse...Some observations and pics.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I received my Desert Roadhouse #220. My first observation is the knife is built very tight and like a brick house. Its a tank. No blade movement and feels over built.

The action was stiff so I had to take the knife apart and clean out the grease and lube it up. It was cruddy inside. The black blade needed more of a break in than the stone wash finish I am typically use to. After about 200 flips, now it moves as smooth or smoother than any of my other Emersons. It has a smooth hydraulic feel but can be flipped open with your thumb. These Prestige knives are a bit different than the earlier knives, in a good way. There is something about them. They ooze quality but not in one specific part of the build.

I think both liners may indeed be titanium. They are exactly the same thickness unlike my Journeyman that the titanium lock side is thicker.
    Lock up is early and smooth without any stickiness.

Size is very similar to my benchmark perfect Emerson, "the Journeyman". The blade is a tad longer on the Desert Roadhouse and the over all length is a bit shorter than the Journeyman. The DR is a bit thicker and a feels a tad heavier even though it is not suppose to be.

The Desert Roadhouse has a noticeably larger "wave" than any of my other Emerson knives. It will wave in anything. I tried sweatpants, shorts, shirt pockets, etc... Its a wicked scary knife and I love it.

Blade sharpness is shaving sharp and about the best tanto design (period).
    I would easily call this a hard use knife. Overall I think the Desert Roadhouse is a wickedly beautiful design and color combination. Its intimidating looking and all business. This could be Mr.Emerson's best design/color combo ever.....and that is saying a lot.

Great review. I really like the look of the Roadhouse model, especially the black/tan Prestige models. Nice Kimber as well, thanks for taking the time to post the review.

Thanks for the great pics and comments. Well done.

Beautiful knife. I wish they offered the brown G10 on more models.

Disappointing fit on the handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhairpin View Post
    Disappointing fit on the handles.
    BS...they are very nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Actually they are not, but no one buys EKI for F&F. If they go back to both side Ti, I might finally pull the trigger on a CQC8.

Perhaps I should buy a BT CQC-7 and make a desert 7 with my 7V

That's a beautiful blade. I really like the black blade with the tan handle.

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    I was referring to the fit around the spacer. Having said that, I bought a Super CQC-8 yesterday and that too has a similar fit but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the feel and function of the knife.

Most knives will show minor f&f issues under a macro lens. As far as fit and finish is concerned, as long as the blade is relatively centered and the action is smooth with no blade play, I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mystro View Post
    Most knives will show minor f&f issues under a macro lens. As far as fit and finish is concerned, as long as the blade is relatively centered and the action is smooth with no blade play, I am happy.
    Yeah I'm the same. I was watching a knife review the other day and the dude was complaining about the most ridiculous "flaws" that for a moment I thought it was a joke but after checking some of his other vids I noticed he had similar ridiculous complaints about other knives as well. I understand these aren't cheap knives.

Thread Information