Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semiauto Shotgun

ADVERTISEMENT
    (Weird double post ?) not sure what happened ...

Might as well add this ... the difficulty on mag feed shotguns is the "mag change" in terms of military use ... the shells don't sit easily in the mags as there is no easy way for the lips on the mags to hold them and still enable reliable feeding ... certainly compared to the "shoulder" on a rifle bullet which works well with the mag lips to enable a secure hold ... the shells have no taper to enable a similar design ... so they can slide forward and cause mag feed issues ... and hence the popularity of the large drum mags which enable enough rounds to be available without a change but then the weapon is really heavy ( you just have to pick up the same number of shells in ammo boxes to realise this ) ... so all told if you might need more than 10 rounds and want a light pointable shotgun ... tube feed options are the way to go ...
    Last edited by PeterPHWS; 06-27-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Cant have .223 or 308...what about 6.8?

Hey no offense to anyone but the OP stated he has some pump actions and is looking for something to have fun with!

Quote Originally Posted by blt-2-drg View Post

Nice setup, could you share where can I get the shotshell holders and the bags.

The shell holders look like Esstac shotgun cards. Not sure the make of the bags. Very cool setup

The marines went with a gas operated shotgun because they were having reliability issues with the inertia driven design due to the fact that when you start hanging lights, lasers, ammo, etc. it slows down the inertia operated system due to the laws of physics....thus they have gone to a gas operated system for reliability when adding military equipment to their shotguns. As a person who has owned Benelli's and Brownings and Winchesters and Remingtons....all semi-auto shotguns.....the best of the bunch is the FN SLP, which is actually a Winchester SX2 action. Extreemly reliable, very accurate with slugs and much softer shooting than any Benelli due to the gas operating system. FN SLP is the way to go.
    Society is built on Agriculture....

Quote Originally Posted by sam.t View Post
    Nice setup, could you share where can I get the shotshell holders and the bags.
    Tyrade83 is correct on the Esstac shotgun cards. Best side saddle system i've ever used.

The bag on the left is an Eagle Industries Shotgun Patrol bandoleer. It holds 12 shells and 2 pistol mags. The chest rig on the right is a Micro Shotgun Rig by OSOE.

Quote Originally Posted by blt-2-drg View Post
    Tyrade83 is correct on the Esstac shotgun cards. Best side saddle system i've ever used.

The bag on the left is an Eagle Industries Shotgun Patrol bandoleer. It holds 12 shells and 2 pistol mags. The chest rig on the right is a Micro Shotgun Rig by OSOE.
    Thanks, blt-2-drg and Tyrade83.

mossberg 930 SPX is my choice, i love mine! i'll have to post a pic tomorrow for ya

I like the regular tube feed shotguns. Shoot a couple, load a couple. Carry your shells in a shoulder bag. No down time. Semi's are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Ricketts View Post
    Cant have .223 or 308...what about 6.8?
    unfortunately, for civilian use, allowed calibers are .22LR, 32ACP, 38SPL, 44-40, .380ACP plus all shotgun cartridges.
    There are a different category, and I'm part of it, the hunter/shooter, which have an army authorization to use any calibers, but actually the army doesnt release any purchase authorization for semi-auto guns exepct in the civilian calibers. I can buy a .50BMG bolt action rifle, but I can't buy an .223 AR. Outstanding!

Since 2002 we are living under populist governs (lots os afinity with "good guys" like Hugo Chavez, Fidel, so on ), and then , as always happen with this kind of government, they are trying to ban guns, more taxes, less ownership rights...all the good things.
    I work for an American Company, and I also have family and friends in US, and I noted that most of US citizens have no idea how blessed they are.

Down here the weather is great, nature is superb, we dont have natural disasters, most of people is freindly...I built my life and carrer here, but I'm an European Citizen, so if things continue this way I'll have to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPHWS View Post
    (Weird double post ?) not sure what happened ...

Might as well add this ... the difficulty on mag feed shotguns is the "mag change" in terms of military use ... the shells don't sit easily in the mags as there is no easy way for the lips on the mags to hold them and still enable reliable feeding ... certainly compared to the "shoulder" on a rifle bullet which works well with the mag lips to enable a secure hold ... the shells have no taper to enable a similar design ... so they can slide forward and cause mag feed issues ... and hence the popularity of the large drum mags which enable enough rounds to be available without a change but then the weapon is really heavy ( you just have to pick up the same number of shells in ammo boxes to realise this ) ... so all told if you might need more than 10 rounds and want a light pointable shotgun ... tube feed options are the way to go ...

Well, this was a lesson!
    While I have training with pistols, my experience with shotguns is very limited, only recreational shooting sessions. Your experience is very welcome.
    I'm not mIlitar/law enforcement nor cop, I'm just a guy who wants to have fun hitting some targets, but I also need to admit that we have some problem with bipeds here, so the can shall be used to home defense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JH-slice View Post
    benelli m4 or FN slp.... friends dont let friends be mall ninjas
    For mall-ninjary, I much prefer my SPAS-12 to the Siaga. It's got way more screen cred.

WANTED: Force One

You can't go wrong with a Benelli M4, probably the finest out of the box tactical semiauto made... but i'll keep my Saiga-12 thank you.

My Saiga is 100% reliable with high brass (defensive ammo, what really matters), nearly 100% with the cheapest walmart special bird shot (after tuning), 20 round drum, spare 10 round sticks, folding stock, just enough rail, Aimpoint PRO. You just gotta learn that annoying AK mag rock-n-lock (or add a mag well aftermarket and mod your mags), get used to, or move, the lousy cocking handle, and deal with no last round bolt hold open, or add an aftermarket. In the US, we have to do a NFA 922(r) conversion to be legal with all the so called "assault weapon" features. Until you've dumped 20 rounds of OO buck in 6 seconds (that's about 180 .33" lead balls each traveling at 1350 fps), you haven't earned the full attention of those around you at the range. Well, ok, the .50 BMG draws a bigger crowd. I also look at the AK platform like the Busse of the firearms world, nearly indestructible, addictive, and just plain fun.

Compared to a Benelli M4, with everything i have into it, excluding the aimpoint, I'm left with enough for a TGLB.

But seriously, don't do the Saiga if you aren't interested in the amateur smithing aspect of it, or you aren't already very familiar with the AK platform.

Go for broke,Browning Gold in 10 gauge,I love mine,its light(9 pounds ,thats light,Remingtons is 14 pounds) ,kicks like a 20 gauge,and it defently reaches out if you need to touch someone with it ,
    Nothing But Respect,
    Gary

Howdy,
    I have the Mossberg 930 SPX. Extremely fast. Fair price, but, you need to know what to look for in terms of past quality control issues.
    Best...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information