Thread: Madras, Oregon buying trip - June 2012

Madras, Oregon buying trip - June 2012

ADVERTISEMENT
    It will be really hard to put to words the incredible trip I had to buy stone at Madras. I spent more for stone than I have ever spent before in a single trip at a total of $6,782. Fortunately a big part of the stone buys were funded by knives I sold to buyers at the show with 16 knives sold.

Here is what that money was spent on and it sure does not look like much in the photo. One five gallon bucket and the big piece under the other arm would have been enough to move it all into the shop in one trip from the van.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In that pile are the following stones: Vistaite; Imperial Jasper; Rainforest Jasper; Chrysocolla in Chalcocite from Plant Ranch, Az; Bloody Basin Agate; Paisley Agate from Az; Dunes Jasper from Madagascar; Bloodstone from India; Malachite and Chrysocolla from Bouse AZ; Luna Agate; Thulite from Okanogan County WA; Pietersite from Africa; Pietersite from China; Christmas Jasper from Marston Ranch, Or; Siberian gem grade Jade; Green Tiger Eye from Africa; Ocean Jasper from Madagascar; Biggs Jasper; Deschutes Jasper; Bruneau Jasper; Dunes Jasper from Madagascar; Brenda Agate and Willow Creek Jasper.

Here are photos -
    Last edited by Redrummd; 06-29-2012 at 01:13 AM.

More photos -

More stones -

More and more stone....

Pretty rocks -
    Last edited by Redrummd; 06-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Last is the big pink one. I already have this big one on the 24 inch saw and a few slabs off it. It is incredible and I sure hope a test polish will prove it to be very top grade stone. In the close up photo with one of my cards you can see just a bit of the "sparkle" the stone has that reminds me of the same look in Jadeite from Burma.

I did a hardness test and the 7 MOHS pick did not really mark the stone while the 8 pick clearly scratches it. So, this piece is right about a 7 in hardness on the MOHS scale, the same as agate or really top grade Jade. The saw oil washed right off the slab like it does on top grade Jade too.

It is very solid with one tiny blemish line that may be a old fracture. I marked it in pencil so that I don't forget it is there when I start marking out scales.
    Last edited by Redrummd; 06-28-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Welcome home Mike,

Congrat's on a successful trip......Wow, your new stones and slabs are absolutely spectacular. You must be really excited to sell so many knives and obtain all these Gem stones. Hope you can sleep tonight while your thinking about all your future artwork.

Dennis

Doggone, that's a fine looking assortment of stone, Mr. Mike!

Nice!!!!!
    -Lance
    BCCI Lifetime member #2128

Great looking piece of Pietersite, Wow!

Thread Information