Thread: Is every emerson chisel ground?

Is every emerson chisel ground?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just curious if every emerson is chisel ground, almost bought an a100 but dont want chisel ground...

I have the A100, CQC 7 and a Mini Commander. The 7 is the only one completely flat on one side but they all only have a single bevel on the side with the emerson logo.

Just look it up on YouTube.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by jc0228; 07-01-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: the youtube thing

No...some are V grind while others have what is called an 'assymetrical' grind although they may be called 'V-grind'.

Every Emerson, whether it has a bevel on each side of the blade or only a single bevel, still has a chisel edge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GMAHN View Post
    Every Emerson, whether it has a bevel on each side of the blade or only a single bevel, still has a chisel edge.
    You are correct. A chisel grind is when the blade is completely flat on one side and has extreme "chisel-like" plunge on the other. All Emerson knives are only sharpened on one side. All this is available on the Emerson website too.
    Last edited by RevDevil; 07-05-2012 at 08:09 PM.

I think where the confusion originated was that the CQC-7 has a chisel profile blade. So people associate this blade profile with "chisel ground". I saw a good video interview Emerson did in which he explained the benifit of chisel ground edges. Basically, easy to sharpen in various field conditions.

Yup, just to concur, the CQC-7 and the Karambit are flat on one side, ground just like a chisel.

The other 3 Emersons I have (Commander. 15 and Super 8) that are V-ground, have a chiselled edge.

Emerson do make a CQC-7 in a V-grind.

Why wouldnt you want a chisel ground? Its stronger, sharper, has less drag when cutting, and isnt that hard to sharpen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CORAM-DEO-WARRIOR View Post
    Why wouldnt you want a chisel ground? Its stronger, sharper, has less drag when cutting, and isnt that hard to sharpen
    Really? There are too many variables you just threw out the window to make a comment like that or to even be taken seriously. If you can provide proof via cutting tests and other data, otherwise just opinion.

Yea, V grinds can get just as sharp as a CG. I do favor the CG though for it's simplistic design and ease of sharpening though.

I am fond of the CG as well. They are easier for a Wine Stoned Ploughboy like me to sharpen.

The chisel edge on my cqc 7 works much better than I expected it it would and sharpening is a breeze.

Im trying to get the hang of sharpening the first edge on my sharpmaker though. Not used to tanto blades.

Slicing cheese off a block with the 7 takes a bit of practice; it feels odd at first slicing straight down with the blade at 20 degrees or so but I'm now an expert at cutting the cheese...........

Thread Information