Thread: W&SS Extreme Challenge Blade

W&SS Extreme Challenge Blade

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey folks!
    Some of you you may have aleardy seen this in Shop Talk... I keep forgetting about posting in Custom Handmade... derp!

There is an Extreme Survival Blade challenge going on in W&SS. Makers are still hard at work trying to devise a blade to survive a gauntlet of the most ridiculous tasks you could imagine. This is just good clean fun and the guys involved are well aware that their blades are going to see some serious abuse.

We are also trying to be creative with the tasks.... no vices, cheater bars, 2x4's, manilla rope, or hanging pigs.... lol. The idea is to come up with some survival scenarios(however unlikely) to put these blades to the test.

Some folks see this type of thing as completely assinine..... Well, all I can say is, THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!

I am looking forward to it. Here is my entry piece...

L-6 (RDS) from Aldo
    .280" thick
    15.75" OA length
    9.5" Cutting edge
    6" Handle
    Shallow convex, almost flat ground.
    Cold chisel tip
    Sharpened "choil" notch for striking ferro rods, scraping arrow shafts, etc
    Hardened pommel plate(5160) for bashing stuff or batoning the knife "chisel-style" using the tip geometry
    Handle is leather backed, hemp wrapped and epoxy soaked.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Looks effective!

At one point, my life was meaningless. Hobos spit on me and little children would run up and punch me in the groin.

Nice chopper Rick.

Rick my man that is awesome

I think your design is very well done purpose wise. No tip to break etc. I am very anxious to see this play out and I am so glad you posted this here.

High performance cutlery is where it's at for me and I hope a lot of makers step up. I just called one of my favorites for a friendly prodding

Rick you going to Vegas and if so what are you bringing

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Rick I could not find it in W&SS please post a link here so we can follow along

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

Thanks Dave.
    Sorry, Joe. I should have stated that it was in the outdoor gear forum... old habits... It's all W&SS to me still.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com

That's very cool but what do you do when you need to make a hole in something, like your belt for instance because in any survival situation you are going to lose weight pretty fast.

Are you only allowed ONE knife? In that case I would want something with a point, myself.

I could have sworn I saw a point. Yep, there it is! If you look just forward of the ricasso, you'll find the point! Point is I think this thing obliterates everything that gets in it's way! For the leather punch, just chop down something thinner and lighter (from the same challenge) and you have an instant belt sizer! Plus some scrap for arrow and spear tips. Oh, and one less competitor! Nice work and good luck, Rick!

DD

SICK!!
    Looks like it likes 2 X 4's, too.
    Point or not, I really dig it.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohump View Post
    That's very cool but what do you do when you need to make a hole in something, like your belt for instance because in any survival situation you are going to lose weight pretty fast.

Are you only allowed ONE knife? In that case I would want something with a point, myself.
    I agree to a point.(ha, get it?) I just tested the lower tip of my blade on a 10oz scrap and it drilled a beltloop style hole just fine(not the prettiest). I would want a good pont, too... but I'm more interested in seeing this thing bust bricks and chop telephone poles. Who could blame a guy?

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com

I hear ya. Its an awesome piece. Match it with a little spear point and you would be good to go anywhere on the planet.

I get around the belt thing by wearing nylon ones like the Wilderness belt. They rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Marchand View Post
    I agree to a point.(ha, get it?) I just tested the lower tip of my blade on a 10oz scrap and it drilled a beltloop style hole just fine(not the prettiest). I would want a good pont, too... but I'm more interested in seeing this thing bust bricks and chop telephone poles. Who could blame a guy?

A beautiful tool.

Nice chopper!!!

NP

Thread Information