Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my first Emerson.

Ordered my first Emerson.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm an anime nerd and I had a couple of out of print box sets (Lain and Samurai X) that were worth a good amount of money. My friend wanted to get his hands on them, so I gave them to him in return for a blade of my choice under 200. So I got him to pay for one on BladeHQ, a CQC-7, which I've actually been drooling over for at least 5 years now. No idea why it took me this long to order one.

Funny thing: I don't care for tactical looking knives much. I'm a Spyderco guy. I also don't care much for tantos, or for black coatings, or for chisel grinds or edges, but for some reason the all black CQC-7 has always appealed to me. Any one of those features would have been a deal breaker on their own for other knifes, but I'm really excited and can't wait to get my hands on it! The heart wants what the heart wants, right?

yull love it. WTG.

Your doomed. Some of the biggest Emerson fans hated them at first. Once it's in your hand, you will want another. It follows the ..."If I have to explain, you won't understand"

I agree with mystro. At first when I would see an Emerson knife, I'd be thinking "Who would buy one of those?" I just didn't care for their looks. Then I started to play around with some of his knives at a gun show once. That led to my first purchase. Then another...and another. They do grow on you! I like to say that they exude "brute simplicity".

You're right about that. Emerson's are brutally tough. They've never let me down. I'm sure this one won't be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    No idea why it took me this long to order one.
    I too waiting forever before buying my first one, and now I have 4.

CQC-8. Would love to get one of those skull clips to bling it out. For the ladies.

Once you get an Emerson in hand, you will go, 'Now I get it!' Enjoy your new adventure.

Got my desert tan cqc7 V today. Nice blade. The tanto blade actually lends itself quite well to my edc tasks. I like how the knife feels in hand when it's closed, it makes a nice improvised striking tool. The wave is incredible as well.

My only grip is that the opening/closing is a little gritty. The blade was stiff but I backed off the pivot screw a bit and that helped some, but it's still got quite a bit of grit to it.

I love how that they used regular Phillips/flathead screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8008 View Post
    My only grip is that the opening/closing is a little gritty. The blade was stiff but I backed off the pivot screw a bit and that helped some, but it's still got quite a bit of grit to it.
    Keep opening it...it will smooth out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8008 View Post
    The gritty opening will probably eventually work itself out, BUT I have found that taking down my new Emersons and really cleaning them, and giving them a little grease (and TLC) basically eliminates any grit in the pivot. Also, waving the knife out of the pocket a hundred times or so should pretty much get it smooth as glass/broken in.

I believe my Emerson will be here this afternoon when I get home from work! If not, then definitely tomorrow. Knock on wood, though, because I don't care much for waiting!

I've heard from a few sources that taking it down and cleaning it will make it smooth. I'll let you all know how mine is when I take it out of its box.

EDIT: Just a quick note, the app "Parcels" for Android (probably iPhone also, but not sure) is amazing. Can check on my order any time just by looking at my phone. WOO!
    Last edited by IMightBeWrong; 07-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.

It was waiting for me in a pile of mail when I got home! I'm surprised. It's about the same size as my Paramilitary 2 but it feels like a TANK! I thought it was going to be thinner and a bit lighter. I actually REALLY like the feel in the hand. The liner lock actually seems incredibly sturdy. It may not be the toughest type of lock on the planet, but it feels like it could shrug off anything I could possibly throw at it anyway. I should not have waited 5 years to finally pick one of these up...

Also want to add that there were NO issues with gritty opening or off blade centering. The lockup is insanely tight, too. No movement in any direction. To top that off, it shaves cleanly right out of the box. I'm a happy camper.

EDIT: Just one thing wasn't perfect now that I look closely. The pocket clip is a bit loose. If I take if off and bend it just a bit that should fix it, though.
    Last edited by IMightBeWrong; 07-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Ok.....where's the pics?

I suppose I can at least put up one:

I had to have it with a Black coating. I don't like coatings much on my folders, but when I first got into knives the CQC-7 was a grail of mine and I loved the tactical looking stuff back then. I had to have the one that I wanted 5 years ago, and I'm glad it's the one I went with!

Thanks! Much better.

No problem! I'm really impressed with this knife. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like it and I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but all that got thrown out the window. REALLY nice blade!

Go for you bro. A 7 is really hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by AR_Shorty View Post
    I agree with mystro. At first when I would see an Emerson knife, I'd be thinking "Who would buy one of those?" I just didn't care for their looks. Then I started to play around with some of his knives at a gun show once. That led to my first purchase. Then another...and another. They do grow on you! I like to say that they exude "brute simplicity".
    I'm with this guy!

I didn't like them at all at first. I thought the handles were too big for the blade, the G10 was too coarse for the pocket, the deployment was too gritty/stiff, and the chisel grind and wave feature was

That is - until I got a hell of a deal on a CQC-7B and thought "okay, I'll give one a try and if I don't like it I'll sell it for what I paid for it". Now - I think they're some of the best knives out there. Now I own 4 and my newest is a CQC-7V and its probably tied with my ZT0550 as my favorite EDC. Great blade.

Congrats on the purchase, IMBW, and welcome to the EKI owners ranks.

Thanks, guys! I think the only problem I have with the knife is that it's making me crave more Emersons and I already spent my knife budget!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information