Thread: Swords, Guns, Bows, etc 2012 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 22-23

Swords, Guns, Bows, etc 2012 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 22-23

ADVERTISEMENT
    Manville is a small ville within Lincoln, Rhode Island. This will be the tenth year I have attended this event to display swords, talk with the public and generally enjoy a get together with some of the local sword enthusiasts.

The particulars of this public event can be found here
    http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandg...org/index.html

Rain or shine, this is an open invitation to display, chat, cut (when there are targets) and generally hang out. Plan on bringing your own chair if we are outside and you are staying the day (we can always shag/borrow a couple few from the club if need be).
    If you are bringing in many items, please let me know so we can figure table space. Right now, we have regularly only been able to borrow two long folders but we can stack to an extent.

We have managed very rainy days both outside and indoors one day. We had been set up for all those years right near the edge of the field but this year there is some thought we might set up under the pine trees on the other side of the driveway, next to the hawk throwing.

No two years have been the same and weather wise, we are due for a couple of halcyon autumn days instead of broiling or soaking. It is New England after all.

Any vendor. smith, crafts or demonstrations aside from the general display we share are welcome but if a separate entity with a lot of gear/set up requiring lots of space, please contact the Manville Sportsmen's Club directly to give them a heads up. The main field is fairly spacious and there is an upper field as well but as far as I knw, space is first come first served.

There is a 200yrd range up the hill and lots of things going bang. That is run on a club ticket deal, where one buys tickets to pull the trigger, stuff like that. There has been a Barret .50 there to line up for. Cowboy action fogures from time to time. I missed getting pictures of one guy in cowboy gear doing kata with an ATrim

Family friendly and activities vary. As you can see, there are buses and a wagon to get the public from the main parking, two short blocks away. If you are loading in a bunch, let the orange vest guys know (say Glen told me to) and then drive straight ahead, otherwise, the main entrance is actually another park at the main road in. It is residential for the two blocks from the main road but the club is straight ahead and dead ends. If you are there before they start in the upper lot, just drive straight ahead and right at the end down to the field.

More random pictures and folders here
    http://my.opera.com/3sails/albums/

There are hotels/motels in the area and some of the re-enactors have camped out from Friday to Sunday

Cheers

GC

I really may crash in the van overnight this year

:drool:

So many beautiful pieces there!

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

looks like fun, wish something like that happened in my neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
    looks like fun, wish something like that happened in my neck of the woods
    Check in at your local sporting and gun shops and you will find different venues. There is a list by states on this page.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/minnesota_gun_shows.shtml

It is not all inclusive but a start to network.

Cheers

GC
    Last edited by horseclover; 07-02-2012 at 11:32 PM.

We are still several weeks from this event. The core group seems to all be on track and New England weather trends predict a couple of nice aearly autumn days.

Cheers

GC

Barring unforeseen issues, I plan be being there bright and early both days. A couple of others more local to the scene means there will be something going on regardless.

The event flyer is here

http://www.msrgc.com/2012_Settlers_Day_Flyer.pdf

and any question for the club

MSRandGC@gmail.com

A great additional display began last year and looks to be a regular. These are stationary hit or miss engines from the early years and have a distinctive note lending more background but any gearhead would enjoy seeing them. Some decades ago I had gone to many of these engine meets and had a passion also for anything steam Steam Punk before it was a fad. This came about at Manville, as one of us sword nutz had a dad that likes to play with toys. Good stuff.

Possible thunderstorms over the weekend but who really knows these days.

Cheers

GC

A week go for this. Weather predictions so far look terrific. Rhode Island is not prime foliage territory just yet but New England is gearing up for the autumn show. The swamp maples actually started here near Woosta a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

GC

Thread Information