Thread: My Randall Story

My Randall Story

ADVERTISEMENT
    Greeting All,
    New to the forum and a recent Randall Made Knife owner with a story to tell... I have always been a bit of a knife enthusiast and over the years have collected several knives that I like to occasionally show to friends. Nothing of any great monetary value mind you but interesting for the most part.
    Recently I had introduced a buddy to my collection. As he is a knife fan but not an avid collector he presented me with a blade a few days later asking if I liked it. When I replied "yes" and asked where he had got it he simply said "you can have it, it's yours."
    Well come to find out his girlfriend was throwing out some boxes of what she considered "junk" and my buddy spotted the knife and grabbed it out for me, saving it from a ride to the local dump... I could tell from the first look that it was a quality piece and having not heard of Randall Made I decided to do a search to see if anything came up... As you all know I was amazed at what I found.
    The knife itself is in good condition but had a few pits from being kept in it's sheath for unknown years. I gave it a good cleaning and done some polishing to bring it back to a "like new" finish. After talking to my buddy's girl I learned the name etched in the blade would have been her late husbands grandfather on his mothers side (whom he was named after). If this to be true dating the knife back some years. Although I only know a fraction of the knifes journey throughout the years it now resides as the pride of my collection. I believe it to be a Model-1, with stag handle, brass on brass.
    Below are some pictures of the Randall and I'd greatly appreciate any information I can get as to the possible date and value of the knife. Thanks for looking and reading my story as I thought it should be shared with those who could appreciate the find and acquisition of such a fine knife.
    Regards,
    Rob.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hi Rob,

Great story! It is a Model 1. I put it ~1974. As to value, just monitor ebay and something similar will come up sooner or later.

Best,
    Ron

You have a really good friend there in case you didn't know. Good save. That is a beauty.
    Rest in peace Bill. I wish I could have done more. You are sorely missed.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Thanks for the replies gents, and thanks for reading my story. I would like to apologize for questioning "value", as I didn't realize it is against rules here.

Mack,
    For the record, yes I do know my buddy is one heck of a friend. He also knows it meant way more to me than it ever would to him. Thanks.

Ron,
    I've not seen the symbol you used before the dating you posted (~1974). I thank you for your input and date. But could you tell me what the symbol "~" stands for?
    Thanks Again and Regards,
    Rob.

Rob,

It's a way of not pinning one's self down You can translate it to "circa" or "about". The spacer set on stag handled knives transitioned from seven to five (Three thick and two thin) in ~1973. Over the years I've seen several of these 5 spacer sets with "bright red" thick spacers that were documented to be from 1974. I've never seen those same bright red thick spacers documented from any other year. Doesn't mean they weren't! That's where the "~" comes in.

Best,
    Ron

Rob,

I use "~" to mean roughly - I stole its use from Ron years ago, and have found it to be quite useful at times...

Shel
    #14 in RyanW's 2014 GAW' Randall Knives www.bluestarknives.com

Thread Information