Thread: Carving Knives

Carving Knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    I thought I would share some custom carving knives. Everyone shows their EDC's and "Tactical" knives but here are a couple of knives that get used a lot that, while not EDC, are pretty cool. One was made by a friend of mine and another by Rick at "Little Shavers." They were both made from old German straight-edge razors. The top one has a Japanese maple handle and the one on the bottom has a tiger stripe maple handle. The one on the bottom looks like the blade is scratched up, but it must be the light because it looks like a mirror. I keep them sharp by stropping them on my leather-on-wood strop using a yellow buffing compound (and they are sharp). I like to carve "Wood Spirits." Anyway, they are marvelous little knives that carve great - and work pretty good at removing splinters. I have been cut pretty good by both (funny, I have never been cut using a large knife).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Very cool! I love those faces, and the knives look like the kind I could get a greatdeal of use out of.

HI John,

Nice blog and great looking little Dala horses. I have a Mora carving knife too. I bought the blade from Littleshavers and made the handle (see pic). I don't use it as much as the smaller knives (the mora is thicker - but it is sharp). I use the Mora for rough-outs. I like Harley Refsal's book "Scandinavian Style Woodcarving." He has some horses that reminds me of the ones you carve. Nice to see another "whittler" here.

The top knife is a Denny blade I bought from Littleshavers and made a micarta handle for it and bottom knife is the Mora.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice work! Check out this thread for carvings by Bladeforums' resident whittlers. You'll find some cool carvings done by some talented people.

I posted this up in "custom, handmade knives" and got no response! The wrong place i guess. We must be the black sheep with the diminutive tools..

Quote Originally Posted by 2knife View Post
    In the genre of small knives used for whittling, or woodcarving, several knifemakers have developed a following and good reputation. Dave Lyons is one such individual. I know almost nothing about him, but have been using one of his knives for a year now purchased at a carving show, and would like to report, it deserves an A+. His knives are available online, through different vendors, at a usual cost of $30-40. A great value for the quality of handwork and finishing going into these.

I have used my Lyons knife on a variety of woods. It works exceptionally well on softer woods, but can handle harder woods, walnut and ash too. Though i did break 1/8" of its tip prying out on a block of ash- to be expected. i reprofiled the tip and it's back into business!

others:

Here are a few examples (borrowed photos online) of types of carving/ whittling knives. Please, feel welcome to share your own examples and favorites, in this thread.

http://woodbeecarver.com/knife-favor...nife-favorites
    http://woodbeecarver.com/category/knives

Thanks,
    David

Very nice. I recently got some spoon carving knives from pinwood forge. They are a bargain.

The top one here is from ML Knives.

Wow,
    i like pictures of real Work knives.
    I think i must made me a carving knife too.

Dirk

May I suggest the Following by Flexcut.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Some real fine carving knives here gentlemen. Thanks for the info!

Just picked up this beauty from Gil Drake of Drake Knives. A fantastic knife!

Thread Information