Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Etch Users !? Anybody got some to show?

Gold Etch Users !? Anybody got some to show?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Odd thread I will admit, but when I got my 500 stag, with gold etch deer scene, I thought it would be very cool to have one as a "user" knife. I can't be the only one who thinks thusly, and there must be some of you out there who have picked up previously used gold etch knives.
    If so, why not use them? They must have the heat treat...they are already used...and I wonder how well the etched scene will hold up under light usage, like cutting a steak in a restaurant, lunch prep at work or camp, or on the road etc...
    If you have a gold etch user, can you show it here ?

Well, I got this one off the auction site. It was used and the bolsters had dings & pocket wear, the auction photo was so poor I could not tell if it was etched or just a dirty blade. Then to top it off the tip of the blade was bent. I sent to Joe & his crew and it looks like new except for the wear on the gold etch. I don't use any gold etch knives as I have many others to use.

jb4570

That looks very nice jb4570

I asked this question because of this knife:
    ( not in hand yet )

recently won at auction, and thought I might like to carry and actually use this one...I know it might seem wrong to some, but once the dam is broken, what's the harm?

It's your knife sit, you can do what you want with it. It's in better shape than the one in my photo. If you send it to Buck that one will look like new.

jb4570

Quote Originally Posted by jb4570 View Post
    It's your knife sit, you can do what you want with it. It's in better shape than the one in my photo. If you send it to Buck that one will look like new.

jb4570
    Thanx jb, those words echo in my head as something my dad would say to me when he knew that I knew better, if you know what I mean...when I get this thing in hand I probably wont be able to actually use it, but can still see the appeal of carrying such a beautiful thing...

Really, the folding blades are hidden so much of the time.........such a waste of beauty.

What you really need is a small fixed blade (maybe a 118 or 105) with a mirror polished blade and a dazzling handle of gold, silver, jade and ebony with a diamond and emerald encrusted gold pommel.

Wear it as a crossdraw across your belly so it's right there if you need it and everybody else can admire it.

LOL...I'd probably be robbed aroung these parts

I have a 2007 111 club Buck I call a DUC [dress up carry] and it has held up very well.The gold etch is a lot tougher than you think at first! Just use a damp cloth to clean it.Why not use it?? I went thru a small crises deciding the same question and my wife KathyJo asked me who I was saving it for....It's nice to actually USE some of the cool Bucks a lot of us here own.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckIt View Post
    That is one sweet knife buckIt your wife done good!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksway View Post
    I have a 2007 111 club Buck I call a DUC [dress up carry] and it has held up very well.The gold etch is a lot tougher than you think at first! Just use a damp cloth to clean it.Why not use it?? I went thru a small crises deciding the same question and my wife KathyJo asked me who I was saving it for....It's nice to actually USE some of the cool Bucks a lot of us here own.
    I like that...what are you savin' em for
    Smart woman

The clear answer is that we're saving them for the person who will eventually buy them so we (or our descendents) get the best possible price for them.

Some will be passed on and kept and cherished by family we leave behind when we die and some will be sold.

It's smart to take good care of them and keep most of them in new or mint condition (whether we be collector or accumulator) but most of us use at least some of them.

I guess if I can't afford to carry a Custom or other fine knife, I can't afford to be dabbling in knives in the first place.

Myself, I usually choose a pretty standard Three or Four-Dot 112 or 110 to carry......I even carry a China Mayo 179 fairly often........these are just such fine, tough, top-quality knives that I don't feel the need for anything fancier. The fanciest thing I can remember carrying is the folding Kalinga Pro.

BG, what you say makes perfect sense, and there are knives in my collection I will never carry or use. But like bucksway said, it's nice to actually use some of them...I like the feel of a stag knife, and think something fancy would be nice to carry for rare dress occasions...like cutting a steak in a nice restaurant. I hate using huge serrated glorified butter knives to cut my steak, I am always discreet about taking out my cutter, and something fancy always seems somehow less intimidating to folks...

No, while I might carry one to show off at some occasion or other, I'd never actually "use" it. I saw a very sad example of someone using an etched blade at the show in Pasadena earlier this year.

There was a seller at the table next to us that had ton's of old Bucks for sale, mostly beatup, fleamarket stuff. Bruce went through all of them to help the lady price them out.

He called me over to show me one poor old 110 that just about brought tears to my eyes. It had started life as the four colored Eagle etch but had been used and used hard. All the color was gone except for small remnants of gold and the blade had been very aggressivly and very poorly sharpened over the years. The bolsters and scales were also badly abused.

What had once been what I consider one of the best and most beautiful etches I've seen (see mine below) was now just trash that even a spa job couldn't save. Some just have no respect!

Someone had ruined a beautiful collectable.

Last edited by Plumberdv; 07-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

I too, hate to see beautiful and scarce knives ruined. They are a resource, and their numbers are usually limited. Beauty should be protected--at least within reason.

Although, it should be said......it's likely quite possible to cut a steak with a Goldie and not damage it in any way.

It is true that a fancy knife in a crowded restaurant (deployed with a certain amount of finesse and class) is not likely to terrify the other patrons.......the fancier the better, in that case.

Depends on where you live. The gleamingly brasso-polished Kalinga Pro folder is fancy enough for most audiences in my relatively primitive habitat.

A lot of gold etch Bucks will sell for $100.00 or less..And a user version of the same model will be about 1/3 of that. Careful use will not destroy it's value but will lower it.So if you think it thru.. Careful use of a gold etch WILL cost you a little but then it's THAT knife a son,brother,daughter or other family member would want to remember you by...Treasured because YOU did.I like mirror polished blades to use for cutting any kind of food item as I feel they get cleaner easier.I would not take all of my gold etch 112's I display and put them in rotation but careful use of a few...Sure!

Thanx bucksway, that's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about, I would never use it like a work knife...but used gently, and with Respect for what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Plumberdv View Post
    No, while I might carry one to show off at some occasion or other, I'd never actually "use" it. I saw a very sad example of someone using an etched blade at the show in Pasadena earlier this year.

There was a seller at the table next to us that had ton's of old Bucks for sale, mostly beatup, fleamarket stuff. Bruce went through all of them to help the lady price them out.

He called me over to show me one poor old 110 that just about brought tears to my eyes. It had started life as the four colored Eagle etch but had been used and used hard. All the color was gone except for small remnants of gold and the blade had been very aggressivly and very poorly sharpened over the years. The bolsters and scales were also badly abused.

What had once been what I consider one of the best and most beautiful etches I've seen (see mine below) was now just trash that even a spa job couldn't save. Some just have no respect!

Someone had ruined a beautiful collectable.

I recently acquired this exact knife from my grandfather after he passed away. It has been used and abused, there is about 1/16" of the tip has been broken off, and there is a small crack that runs thru the eagles neck that is visible from both sides of the blade, and the brass on the handle is badly tarnished. I would like to know more about this knife like year it was made and any history behind it and the value of this knife. The only markings on my knife are BUCK 110x USA and on the other side it says 0634/1000. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by TMow View Post
    I recently acquired this exact knife from my grandfather after he passed away. It has been used and abused, there is about 1/16" of the tip has been broken off, and there is a small crack that runs thru the eagles neck that is visible from both sides of the blade, and the brass on the handle is badly tarnished. I would like to know more about this knife like year it was made and any history behind it and the value of this knife. The only markings on my knife are BUCK 110x USA and on the other side it says 0634/1000. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated
    Read through this thread (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ighlight=eagle) if you have the patience. It will give you quite a bit of info on the knife.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

Thank you for that plum do you think I could contact buck to see if it is repairable or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information