Thread: Edutsi Memorial?

Edutsi Memorial?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've been thinking about this since Edutsi walked west.....
    How would you guys feel about having the Kamis add the initials Y.G. to the YCS and the Rose?
    In my mind, I think Uncle and Edutsi would want it so.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

A couple more Roman characters at the Ricasso may get a little busy/cluttered. Personally, I'd prefer to have "Yvsa," as he was known here, along the spine in Devanagari. The symbolism of writing it in script would be a reference to how Yvsa partnered with the Nepali kamis and culture to produce what we know as these blades today.

Hopefully I didn't butcher this too badly, but this is just to give an idea...

You know, I was actually thinking about Yvsa the other day while I was out walking around in the woods with my wife and daughter. He was such a HUGE contributor to the HI family. I wouldn't mind seeing a memorial run of either the YCS and/or Cherokee Rose with a little flourish on the blade to pay tribute to him.
    Jake
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was also thinking that a memorial run of the Cherokee Rose would be nice - based on a revisting of Yvsa's original intentions and with "a flourish" (I was thinking relief carving on the handle, but on the blade would be nice as well!)

I went through some of the old posts to try to review Yvsa's original design and comments and have summarized them as I understood here:
    20 1/2" Overall Length
    13 1/2" Blade
    25 ounces (29 ounces, unbelievable almost ; a pound and a quarter bordering on perfection)
    Blade should be hardened all the way to the point and along the back (clip) for about 1 1/2 - 2"
    Blade should not be too thin at the point (1/20" to 1/16")
    7" handle of a nice wood (dense Chandan, Kamagong, Black Walnut, South American Bloodwood, US Walnut)... dark wood with good grain pattern
    - long enough to help balance the 13" blade
    - designed so that it would fit almost everyones hands well
    - two gripping areas (next to the guard so that it wouldn't dig into ones hand on a hard stab, comfortable held all the way at the back and made so it wouldn't easily slip forward if you were chopping)
    POB of 2 1/2 inches forward from the guard
    -(I would rather had it right at the guard or within a 1/2 inch either way, but it ain't gonna happen with a blade this wide)
    -(POB is about 3" in front of the guard and I believe it would be pretty fast for someone with a better arm than mine)
    -(I would have liked the POB to have been closer to the guard so it would have disappeared in your hand, but that's mostly my fault with the design.)

Sheath should be straight down to the clip and then sloped to the point and permit the frog to be slipped off and turned to the other side for left hand carry.

Flourish ideas:
    Copper (ideally) or brass inlay in the blade - crescent moon shaped
    I don't know if any of the current kamis are good at relief carving, but it would be nice to have some carving the way they used to do the dragons in the past, but with Buffalo, Grass and/or Fire to honor Yvsa instead of dragons. Engraving of these same concepts would be options in the blade as well.
    Yvsa in Devanagari script along the spine

Threads these comments are based on:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...e-Rose-!!!!!!!
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Rose-Prototype
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...st-impressions
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...e-Rose-by-Sanu
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-Cherokee-Rose
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...name-you-chose

I went ahead and made this it's own topic, so as not to completely derail Cop911's thread.

I'd like to add that i just sort of threw this out there and have yet to discuss anything with Auntie.
    More or less an idea and interest thread....
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think memorializing Yvsa on these blades is a great idea. I for one would be very interested in a Cherokee Rose, I've just always been broke when they show up.

Eh...

There's so much stuff on some of the blades that it looks like highway signage coming into town.

Clutter on function has never appealed to me...but that's me.

Yvsa created, and shared in the creation of, a lot here at H.I. His contributions (and life) are tribute enough, in my opinion...only. The integrity of a blade is, in itself, a tribute to him.

ymmv.

A properly done tribute blade(s) would be great honor. I wouldn't want them all marked. Maybe a run of 3-5 really awesome YCS and Cherokee Rose blades is best.

Quote Originally Posted by bric View Post
    A couple more Roman characters at the Ricasso may get a little busy/cluttered. Personally, I'd prefer to have "Yvsa," as he was known here, along the spine in Devanagari. The symbolism of writing it in script would be a reference to how Yvsa partnered with the Nepali kamis and culture to produce what we know as these blades today.

Hopefully I didn't butcher this too badly, but this is just to give an idea...

I'm with Bric on this. The kamis don't seem to do so well with English letters. Devanagari would be better.

I wouldn't mind seeing a to spec Cherokee Rose with some Devanagari at the spine. Yvsa wasn't a flashy guy. I think his designs are going to stand the test of time, but it might be nice to have a little something to memorialize him...or not I mean, either way, Yvsa is always going to be with us. His impact on HI and the knife world has been forged in steel to last the ages.
    Jake
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

11. It would be an honor to add the Yvsa initials to the YCS and Cherokee Rose
    Blessings from the Computer Shack in Reno

Yangdu Martino
    himimp@aol.com

12. Yvsa touched lives in Nepal with his designs too. I'm going to PayPal some funds to Yangdu for a memorial/wake/party for the kamis to celebrate Yvsa's life and to help them understand this respected elder has passed. I'm not sure what form such a rememberance should take within Nepalese culture, but I am confident Yangdu will know. Anyone wishing to join in can send whatever they wish directly to Yangdu, with a note explaining what it is for.
    Howard Wallace

13. Howard,

Received $100 for Edutsi Memorial, thank you
    Blessings from the Computer Shack in Reno

Yangdu Martino
    himimp@aol.com

I spoke with Auntie Yesterday concerning this and she's read the thread.
    Our main concern is not to make things too complicated off the bat, as it often leads to confusion.

For right now, the latin letters U.B. in honor of Uncle Bill will be replaced by Y.G. in honor of Uncle Yvsa on the YCS and the Rose.
    Memorial Runs of the Cherokee Rose will also bear a single rose engraved onto the blade.

The Kamis will have a Puja and Party in Edutsi's honor to bless his passing and know another great friend has left us.

Keep your ideas coming. We are interested.
    Last edited by Karda; 07-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Although possibly too complicated I would think that the content of Yvsa's avatar would be quite nice and meaningful on the Cherokee Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Karda View Post
    Memorial Runs of the Cherokee Rose will also bear a single rose engraved onto the blade.
    Yes

Thread Information