Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where would I start a moderator critique thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by the chicken taxi View Post
    I love how I'm dog-piled as soon as I point out an example. Is any one going to comment?

I would not normally post, but you asked for it. Yes I have seen a mod throw his power around a bit or be arrogant about their mod status, and did not like it (not any of the ones you are dealing with), but it is very simple, you broke rules. Mistakes can be made and were on both sides so just drop it and enjoy your time on here instead of making it miserable for yourself and others.
    Last edited by nccole; 07-13-2012 at 11:53 AM.

A moment of silence (finally)...the dead horse has become cognizant of his demise and succumbed.
    FAQ RulesMembership Subscription Options Update Your User Group

fides, ut anima, unde abiit eo nunquam redit

This guy is a joke. Initially he said that he wanted to "help" the forum, and sell the knives at face value. That would equate to about 60 dollars retail, he also indicated they were purchased retail. If so, it's unlikely they would carry an inflated price. Anyways, glad he's banned.

Lol that was great.

Oh well. I warned him to tread lightly.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

Blog Entries
    "Where would I start a moderator critique thread?"

Anywhere ya like. Don't worry about ending it, we'll do that for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Esav Benyamin View Post
    "Where would I start a moderator critique thread?"

Anywhere ya like. Don't worry about ending it, we'll do that for ya.
    I'm a new BF member. Initially when I saw this thread I was extremely pleased that BF may actually be unlike most of*the other forums out there where mods act like power hungry cops doing as the please because they wear a badge. I figured any form that would allow a moderator critique thread must be one void of bad cops, but based on all I've read and the quote above it looks like I was wrong. This brave fellow didn't have a chance.

Remember how little respect you had for that cop character in*"Gangs of New York"

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by Knife abuser View Post
    I'm a new BF member. Initially when I saw this thread I was extremely pleased that BF may actually be unlike most of*the other forums out there where mods act like power hungry cops doing as the please because they wear a badge. I figured any form that would allow a moderator critique thread must be one void of bad cops, but based on all I've read and the quote above it looks like I was wrong. This brave fellow didn't have a chance.

Remember how little respect you had for that cop character in*"Gangs of New York"

Bummer
    Brave Fellow?
    the chicken taxi was a real piece of work from the get go. Joined to use this site and whomever he could to profit.
    When shown some graciousness and leniency he spat in our faces and threw tantrums because he couldnt get his way and do just as he pleased because we do have rules. Perhaps you should reserve your commentary until you've read more than this one thread.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Karda View Post
    Brave Fellow?
    the chicken taxi was a real piece of work from the get go. Joined to use this site and whomever he could to profit.
    When shown some graciousness and leniency he spat in our faces and threw tantrums because he couldnt get his way and do just as he pleased because we do have rules. Perhaps you should reserve your commentary until you've read more than this one thread.
    I knew I'd be painting a target on my back.

I did read prior to comenting and have again since you made your incorrect comment that I hadn't. I hope im wrong but I'm I'm sure my asking you a few questions will be pointless and will only further contribute to my disappointment, but let's see what happens. Try your absolute hardest to give answers as if you are on a witness stand.

1. Can you admit that that no matter how much you believe it is true, it is MERELY YOUR OPINION that he joined this site for profit and you have no factual basis for this opinion?

2. Being that he purchased the appropriate membership in order gain the right to sell on the site. Can you admit that your opinion is irrelevant and not one that should be a factor as you preform within your responsibility as a moderator.

3. As a moderator is it your moral responsibility to preform your duties in service to the members of the forum?

4. What is the dictionary definition of "moderator" or to "moderate"? And do you believe you mod within that definition?

5. Is it true that you made strong opinions that the knives were probably Chinese and then later decided differently so much so that you allowed for the user to put the knives back up for sale.*

6. Based on #5 can you admit that your gut instinct are not currently as a tune as they should be in order to go off of them while making moderating decisions?

7. Can you give me the Internet definition of an auction. And is it true that that definition is not explicitly outlined in the rules on the site.

8. Can you admit that the user did include a price in his description even if it was not to veteran perfection?

9.isnt it true that the user did add a price of $200 within the first page of the thread.

10. Can you please copy and paste an example which illustrates him as you described running around doing as he pleased that was in flagrant violation of the rules.

11. Is it possible that your inaccurate opinions severely hurt the uses chance of selling his knives. And that you apologized to the user for the confusion?*

12. Based on #11 do you think you did enough for the user in order to help him achieve success with the sale. If so can you explain why he was only allowed to post in the Buck's for sale forum when his knives were production knives and should have been allowed to be posted in that form as well?

To the users of this forum if this is the last post you read from me I was banned without reason. Hopefully this will not be my last.

Knife abuser = the chicken taxi

This could not be any more obvious.
    -Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
    Knife abuser = the chicken taxi

This could not be any more obvious.
    +100 You beat me to it Planterz!!

To the users of this forum if this is the last post you read from me I was banned without reason. Hopefully this will not be my last.
    As someone who is a member of several forums, let me just say that when you join one, you are subject to the rules set forth by the administrator. This is his house, not yours. If you don't like it, all you have to do is click the red "x" at the top right of the screen and never come back. No one is forcing you to be here.

It's extremely bad manners to come into someone else's house and pee on the carpet.

Any issue, problem or complaint one has with a Mod should be addressed first with said Mod and then thru the "chain of command" PRIVATELY and never in an open forum.
    Public challenge to authority is just wrong.........................
    #541 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

And he's banned. I don't know what's more pathetic: his arguments, or that he thought nobody would realize that he was merely the chicken taxi returning under a new persona.
    -Aaron

This is funny, funny stuff......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmann601 View Post
    Any issue, problem or complaint one has with a Mod should be addressed first with said Mod and then thru the "chain of command" PRIVATELY and never in an open forum.

I hope you really don't believe that, unless it's in the environs of of a private forum.

Leadfoot

3. As a moderator is it your moral responsibility to preform your duties in service to the members of the forum?
    I certainly feel this way myself.

One of the things we try to do as part of that service to the community is to keep the Exchange forums free of counterfeit goods. Being human, we're not perfect at that; I'm sure that counterfeits are sold here from-time-to-time. It's still caveat-emptor. But we do try.

The knife that you showed up with a stack of is a make/model that has been a victim of counterfeiting in the past. Not surprisingly, your pile of them raised a red flag. This is reasonable and understandable.

Instead of quietly withdrawing the knives and working off-line with the moderator to vet the knives, a process that might have delayed your sale by a few days but would have added to the value of the knives, you chose to take personal offense and to blow the matter up in public. Nobody likes that. And nobody benefits from it. It's not good for the community.

4. What is the dictionary definition of "moderator" or to "moderate"? And do you believe you mod within that definition?
    I believe strongly -- and view myself in the roll of -- moderator as used in a nuclear reactor. The moderator control rods are used to keep the reactor from getting out-of-control, from getting dangerously-hot. The goal of the operators is to insert the rods just exactly enough to keep the reactor operating at full power output while also being safe.

When the rods are inserted enough to stop the reaction, the slang for that is "poisoning the reactor." The moderator rods are described as "poison" to the reactor. I like the analogy. Overuse of moderators on an online discussion forum can be poison to the forum for sure. I've seen more than one forum brought to a cold stop by over-insertion of the moderator control rods.

Reactors generally have two sets of moderator rods. The first are called "control rods. These are inserted and removed by motors or other controls (pneumatic or hydraulic) and can be positioned precisely. These are used minute-to-minute to control the reactor.

The second set are called "emergency rods." They can be fully in or fully out. They drop in by gravity, so there is no position control. And they are sufficient to fully poison the reactor.

What you first experienced was a slight application of a control rod. When you responded poorly, that rod was moved down further. And when you headed toward meld-down, we had no choice but to drop the emergency rods.

I am one who always argues for minimalist moderation. And I think your case was handled pretty well.

All bannings here at bf.c are listed in a thread in the Service and Support section. You can read that and see that most bannings are spammers who come here promoting non-knife related schemes, returning trolls, and obvious troublemakers. It takes a lot to get banned here. Our moderators are very tolerant.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmann601 View Post
    At the risk of giving offense to a long-standing member who has made many good contributions here, I have to disagree with Mr. Wolfmann601 on this point. Our moderators certainly are NOT above reproach. What we are is human. As such, we are subject to human failings and human error (not to mention the fact that we sometimes make purely technical errors). As such, we stand ready to be questioned. And it is good and salutary to do so when you think one of us has made an error.

But two things are true: First, as Mr. Wolfmann points out, there is a right place to do so. First try to resolve the matter privately. Use e-mail or the private-message facility. If that doesn't work, then come here to the Service and Support forum. Arguing in-line is off-topic and not good for the discussion in the specific forums. And second, please do so respectfully. Please understand that some of our moderators sometimes take a lot of abuse and that can wear on a person. So, just ask your questions and make your points respectfully.

It's important to me that the moderation process here at bf.c be kept open and that it be subject to review.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Blog Entries
    he was fun to listen to!, he should be un-banned and only allowed to post in whine & cheese so we can have a laugh.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information