Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why buy expensive knives?

Why buy expensive knives?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey guys first of all I am a 13 year old boy. My dad and I have been in an argument because he thinks I do not need an expensive pocket knife. I use my current knife, my spyderco tenacious every day and love it. I want to buy a new paramilitary 2 for my edc. He says that it's not worth 100$ because I could not tell a difference. Is he right? Will I not be able to tell a difference besides the comp lock to my tenacious? How different is a $30 knife to a $100 dollar knife?

Will you be able to tell the difference?

We don't know. You are a complete stranger making your first post. Do you throw your Tenacious into tress and sharpen it on the curb? We don't know!

That said, as a 13 year old....Dad's always right. Whether or not you can appreciate the difference is academic.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    That said, as a 13 year old....Dad's always right. Whether or not you can appreciate the difference is academic.
    Yes, especially when Dad's footing the bill.

Your Dad's probably concerned about you losing a $100 vs a $30. Would you be purchasing this with your own money? I agree that in terms of cutting you probably wouldn't notice any difference. The main difference between knives is build quality (steels and handles) and style. You'll notice the difference in quality but the Tenacious will cut stuff just as well as the Para 2.

Listening to your Dad's advice though is very important. I have a 13 year old and I let him make his own decisions (within limits) and face his own consequences, but I appreciate it when he heeds my advice.
    Last edited by Maprik; 07-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.

I have treated my tenacious very well and sharpened it once and now it is pretty sharp... Not on a curb. When he says I don't need a $100 knife he is talking about price. From what I understand you can not judge a knife by its price, you judge it by blade steel ergonomics handle material and demand.
    Last edited by Spyderman99; 07-13-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Will you be able to tell it's a higher quality knife? Probably. Better components, blade steel, fit/finish and made in America vs China. Will any of that matter to your dad, probably not. Especially if he's the one funding it.

Will you be able to tell the difference?

Depends on use.

But yes they are different knives with different steels that perform differently so yes it's likely talking in general terms.

Just to say one wouldn't be able to tell the difference without explaining why is not really a proper response.

That's taking into count how different those 2 knives really are all around.

I use my money and have never misplaced the tenacious for the half year that I've had it.
    Last edited by Spyderman99; 07-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I will use money that I get from my bday so I'm buying it 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman99 View Post
    I will use money that I get from my bday so I'm buying it 100%
    I would save that money. You will soon be getting a driver's license and those dollars can help you to keep your vehicle fueled. You are also about to discover "girls" and nothing else on this planet can go through money faster than they can - except perhaps for the government (trust an old-timer on this). So save it up, you are going to need every last dime. As for knives, don't worry about them. We will keep them safe for you for a few years until you have a job and are ready to buy them.

n2s
    Tagline:
    There is no good, no evil, no saints, no demons; There are just ordinary people making ordinary choices.

Quote Originally Posted by not2sharp View Post
    I would save that money. You will soon be getting a driver's license and those dollars can help you to keep your vehicle fueled. You are also about to discover "girls" and nothing else on this planet can go through money faster than they can - except perhaps for the government (trust an old-timer on this). So save it up, you are going to need every last dime. As for knives, don't worry about them. We will keep them safe for you for a few years until you have a job and are ready to buy them.

n2s

That's so true.

Quote Originally Posted by not2sharp View Post

n2s
    I see what you mean but the thing is I've been planning for this stuff all my life I have a lot of money in a bank account that I have saved up. As for girls me and my dad made an agreement lol I do all of my
    chores he gives me money for dates and stuff

Maybe there is a possibility of picking one up on the exchange for a little less than a full bill to help with pricing? For a 13 year old to have a desire to have a nice knife amazes me. Most of the kids I know here love gerber junk. I can't speak on the two knives in question because I love my tenacious but have turned down so many pm2's because I love the full size military way too much. There is a premium steel, build quality and construction that makes them worth every penny they cost though.

Plus I mow people's yards and walk dogs for extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by turk.919 View Post
    Maybe there is a possibility of picking one up on the exchange for a little less than a full bill to help with pricing? For a 13 year old to have a desire to have a nice knife amazes me. Most of the kids I know here love gerber junk. I can't speak on the two knives in question because I love my tenacious but have turned down so many pm2's because I love the full size military way too much. There is a premium steel, build quality and construction that makes them worth every penny they cost though.
    Ive already gone through the gerber junk phase had like 4 of em.

I have both the Tenacious and the Para 2. I like both, the main difference I see when using the 2 knives is that the handle on the Tenacious is a little fatter and overall it is a bit heavier, but also the Para 2 handle sometimes seems too long to me.

I know that there is a big difference in the blade steel between the Tenacious and the M390 Para 2 but I don't know how much difference I will actually see in my use. I probably cannot justify spending 4 times as much for the Para 2 but I did it anyway.

I think you'll definately notice a difference between the 2. If you ever get stuck between 2 knives that are far apart in cost and quality, always buy the more expensive one because it ends up being cheaper. Because if you buy the lesser knife your going to end up with the more expensive knife later on too, so you end up buying 2 knives instead of one. Knife addiction is just a horrible sickness

Get a Caly 3 zdp and shared EDC with your dad. Next, you might even get addicted to crazy sharp, zdp capable of HHT now it's worth showing off to ppl. There is a huge diff between skills and spending. Otherwise, save your hard earned money for later.

Quote Originally Posted by matt123abc View Post
    I think you'll definately notice a difference between the 2. If you ever get stuck between 2 knives that are far apart in cost and quality, always buy the more expensive one because it ends up being cheaper. Because if you buy the lesser knife your going to end up with the more expensive knife later on too, so you end up buying 2 knives instead of one. Knife addiction is just a horrible sickness
    It sure is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information