Thread: Axial blade play

Axial blade play

ADVERTISEMENT
    One of my three Mnandis and one of my two Sebenzas have slight axial blade play when half open, unlocked. What about yours?

Play when locked is what bugs me, and I have never had any with any of the 20 or so CRK's I have owned. Never been concerned with play in an unlocked blade on a knife though.
    nice chatting with you...take care of yourself...

I dont feel any in my large 21. I wouldnt worry about it unless there is play when locked open

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Echo echo...I agree with the fellows above. I think the only time to sweat it is when the blade is locked. If your doing some cutting with the blade disengaged then that's a whole other issue

I don't own as many CRK folders as many here, but I own about a dozen now and have had several more pass through my hands. Not one of them had axial play at all - that is one of the things that is most distinctive about CRK in my opinion. I am sorry you have had what must be truly miserable luck. Maybe you got all of them?

Perhaps what I consider as blade play you donīt. Yesterday I checked a store with a variety of CRK models. On all three large Sebenzas and two of three Mnandis I could feel the axial play. The majority of the small Sebenzas didnīt have it. It does not bother me much. As long as there is no play when locked open its fine. But when buying a new one, I always check for the super tight tolerances. (Open half way. Pull and push the blade back and forth. Trust your senses.)

There has to be at least some amount of play in the pivot or it would just jam up.

All of mine have all kinds of vertical play when half open, unlocked.

There must be some movement when the blade is open and unlocked for the blade to actually be able to open and close. The fact that you cant detect that play on every single crk you handle just means you are human like the rest of us and are not mechanically consistent enough in your inspection process. Your senses are wrong and this is a stupid thread.

I don't think this is a stupid thread, i noticed the same thing with sebenza's before, of course it's not really an issue but just something i haven't noticed in other knives, i think maybe it's because the pivot bushing.

Thread Information