Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: A good small surface grinder?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah
    Posts
    4,170

    A good small surface grinder?


    ADVERTISEMENT
    I am on the hunt for a surface grinder for making slip joints and don't need anything big. Problem is, most of the bench top models are either no longer in production or simply too pricey for what they are. I probably have enough room for a small 16 x 8 but that would even be pushing it.

    Anybody have a good recommendation under the $1000 mark that would do the job?

    Thanks for the help!
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com
    Follow me on Facebook at J. Oeser Custom Knives

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    1,308
    Not sure Jared,

    http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...e=SiteChampion

    This one from Western Tool is as cheap as I've seen for new. I've been watching my local CL for a year and have just missed out on two different B&S 6"x12"(18")? for less than a $1,000. There was one of the Grizzly's for $900 that also sold here in good condition..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pinole, CA
    Posts
    7,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ayres View Post
    Not sure Jared,

    http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...e=SiteChampion

    This one from Western Tool is as cheap as I've seen for new. I've been watching my local CL for a year and have just missed out on two different B&S 6"x12"(18")? for less than a $1,000. There was one of the Grizzly's for $900 that also sold here in good condition..
    Brian, that's not a bad looking benchtop surface grinder, but at that price I would kind of like to see a magnetic chuck.....

    I was talking with Eric Ochs a couple weeks ago and we were discussing using a lapping machine to flatten blades. There are some makers who have done it this way for years with great results. Lapping machines also take up less space than most surface grinders and from what I've found they can be had for a decent price compared to a SG. Just something to think about.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks Brian. I have found that in my searches but the price is a little steep.

    John you have me intrigued with that idea. Would it work for thinning down bar stock for folders? I just need something that can get everything flat and parallel. I've been using my grinder and disc grinder to get it done but it's tedious work.
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com
    Follow me on Facebook at J. Oeser Custom Knives

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Success, Missouri
    Posts
    9,489
    When I decided I needed one, I called every machine shop in a 100 mile radius. On the 8th call, guy said he had a small one stuck back in the corner he'd sell. $700 and I brought home an old 6"x12" Delta Rockwell. Been a good machine for the last 15 years.

    They are out there, but you got to dig a little...
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

    2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Martin TN.
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hanson III View Post
    When I decided I needed one, I called every machine shop in a 100 mile radius. On the 8th call, guy said he had a small one stuck back in the corner he'd sell. $700 and I brought home an old 6"x12" Delta Rockwell. Been a good machine for the last 15 years.

    They are out there, but you got to dig a little...
    Do you have yours set-up for belts ? Or just using regular wheels. I like how Felhoelter had his set-up.
    WWW.JBSKNIVES.COM
    Blade Show table 19 D

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Success, Missouri
    Posts
    9,489
    Quote Originally Posted by JBS TOOLMAKER View Post
    Do you have yours set-up for belts ? Or just using regular wheels. I like how Felhoelter had his set-up.
    I use 1/2"x7" grinding wheels, don't like belts on a surface grinder.
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

    2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Martin TN.
    Posts
    1,010
    Yeah, I can't wrap my head around using belts for precision....just too much flex. A lot of folks seem to like it.
    WWW.JBSKNIVES.COM
    Blade Show table 19 D

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah
    Posts
    4,170
    I might have to try that Don. We have a local online classified site where everything anyone is selling in Utah is listed. I have been scouring that and Craig's list for months with no luck. I will have to start calling machine shops soon if nothing pops up.
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com
    Follow me on Facebook at J. Oeser Custom Knives

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,505
    Also search for auction listings

    The little Boyar Schultz and Brown and Sharpe are really popular, but once out or production a machine shop will hang onto it and use it to sharpen tools.

    This means that almost every machine shop has one.

    Business are liquidating every day.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Success, Missouri
    Posts
    9,489
    Quote Originally Posted by JBS TOOLMAKER View Post
    Yeah, I can't wrap my head around using belts for precision....just too much flex. A lot of folks seem to like it.
    Some go to belts because they never found the right stone wheel and never figured out how to properly dress a wheel. Some also like to get the final finish on the flats with the surface grinder and belts work pretty well for that.

    What I don't like is how a belt will round off the edges of the piece being ground. I surface grind folder blades that are already profiled and can't have the edges of the tang area rounded off.
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

    2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Success, Missouri
    Posts
    9,489
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Oeser View Post
    I might have to try that Don. We have a local online classified site where everything anyone is selling in Utah is listed. I have been scouring that and Craig's list for months with no luck. I will have to start calling machine shops soon if nothing pops up.
    Jared, I've bought a number of things that were not advertised, just from asking around.
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

    2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Waupaca, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    2,593
    Blog Entries
    1
    Jared,

    I was fortunate and found a Harig super 12 in great condition listed on the Bay. I was the only bidder and sold for $560. The Super 12 is a compact machine with a small foot print. With magnetic chuck and a cabinet full of wheels, spare parts. Deals on nice used manual grinders can be found! Harig makes a great grinder. They use a oil pump that is always running when the spindle is on. Constantly keeping the ways oiled. Nice thing about the Harig is that they are still being made right here in the USA , parts and service are available , even for the older machines.
    http://www.iknifecollector.com/profile/KenErickson

    I finally had highspeed internet service installed which requires a email change. Please note my new email address is
    kenericksonknives@att.net

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    21,385
    Don, I think that the belt conversion probably works quite well for folks that are using their machines to surface grind damascus billets and such. belt probably works a bit faster than a 1/2 inch wheel for that application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hanson III View Post
    Some go to belts because they never found the right stone wheel and never figured out how to properly dress a wheel. Some also like to get the final finish on the flats with the surface grinder and belts work pretty well for that.

    What I don't like is how a belt will round off the edges of the piece being ground. I surface grind folder blades that are already profiled and can't have the edges of the tang area rounded off.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Success, Missouri
    Posts
    9,489
    Joe, for finishing a damascus billet to sell, yes it probably is faster than a wheel. Knickmeyer does it that way.

    For pocket knives I'll stay with the grinding wheel.
    Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

    2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks Ken, Harig is what I have been looking at most. Is the super 12 the same as a 612?

    Quote Originally Posted by ken erickson View Post
    Jared,

    I was fortunate and found a Harig super 12 in great condition listed on the Bay. I was the only bidder and sold for $560. The Super 12 is a compact machine with a small foot print. With magnetic chuck and a cabinet full of wheels, spare parts. Deals on nice used manual grinders can be found! Harig makes a great grinder. They use a oil pump that is always running when the spindle is on. Constantly keeping the ways oiled. Nice thing about the Harig is that they are still being made right here in the USA , parts and service are available , even for the older machines.
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com
    Follow me on Facebook at J. Oeser Custom Knives

  17. #17
    Deleted.
    Last edited by swordmaster; 07-14-2012 at 06:40 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Martin TN.
    Posts
    1,010
    I missed an auction deal recently on a Thompson with autofeed, full coolant system And two big boxes of wheels 500.00
    That hurt my feelings...
    WWW.JBSKNIVES.COM
    Blade Show table 19 D

  19. #19
    deleted
    Last edited by swordmaster; 07-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Waupaca, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    2,593
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Oeser View Post
    Thanks Ken, Harig is what I have been looking at most. Is the super 12 the same as a 612?
    Jared,

    Yes, I had meant to say super 612.
    http://www.iknifecollector.com/profile/KenErickson

    I finally had highspeed internet service installed which requires a email change. Please note my new email address is
    kenericksonknives@att.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •