Thread: Possible product opinions wanted.

Possible product opinions wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
    What would you guys think about a drop point "bushcraft" sized knife with a 4.25 inch blade in say .172-.180 inch CPM 3V, S35VN or maybe Elmax with full coverage (everything from the guard to the butt) 3D machined carbon fiber scales made from .250 stock with a kydex sheath? Do you think something like that would work in the $225-250 range?

I think itd probablly cost a bit more then that price range. All in all it sounds like itd be a good knife though.

Might even go a bit thinner on the stock. The older I get, the more I seem to like a thin blade. Of course, for the most part, I have also out grown my desire to do stupid abusive things to my knives (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by treeman8008 View Post
    I think itd probablly cost a bit more then that price range. All in all it sounds like itd be a good knife though.
    +1
    If that could be had in that price range I'd buy 2. That's a sweet sounding knife

You make it....and we will come....in droves...for more than 1 I assure you
    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

"Chance favours the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
    #929 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

I'd buy one, in Elmax. (3V I like for bigger knives/choppers, S35VN is too much like Elmax but downgraded). Carbon fiber would be cool, but if it cost more than $10 to go from G10 or micarta to CF, I'd probably just stick with one of those two (more color choices and probably more grip). I think M390 would be another good choice for this one.

The carbon fiber is not outrageously expensive until you start looking at the lightning strike stuff. The prices for that are about 2.5 times as much as the regular 570 or 590 twill pattern. The thickness of the carbon sheet that I start off with would impact the price. if I use .300-.325, the knife would be up closer to that $250 number. By the way, that is $250 real world price, not MSRP. if you do the retail jewelry store MSRP calculations, it would be more like $300-310, but for YOU, i have SUCH a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman8008 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm466 View Post
    I'd buy one, in Elmax. (3V I like for bigger knives/choppers, S35VN is too much like Elmax but downgraded). Carbon fiber would be cool, but if it cost more than $10 to go from G10 or micarta to CF, I'd probably just stick with one of those two (more color choices and probably more grip). I think M390 would be another good choice for this one.
    Elmax is supposed to be very good stuff, but I wonder how much of the comparison of it and S35VN is impacted by the perception that 35Vn is just S30V's younger brother who was bred to cure some of tired old 30V's problems? The fact that is has niobium in the mix is fairly significant when it comes to grain size and grain and carbide size do contribute to toughness.

I ground out a prototype. The finished thickness at the ricasso was .172, but as I am an ABS goon, the blade has a taper and a full height flat grind. The tang will be partially skeletonized. Did i mention that i might even have these heat treated in salt to get an extra point of hardness without giving up toughness AND the guys who do the heat treat can also draw back the tang a bit after hardening and tempering using an induction coil. this thing might have ALL of the cool tricks done to it.

Now you're just being a tease...
    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

"Chance favours the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
    #929 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

Pics!

LOL. Not yet. The blade design is finished, but I haven't finalized the shape of the handle scales.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelm466 View Post
    Pics!

This might be the first knife I purchase that costs more than 200

This sounds very interesting! At that price I'd probably be in if I liked the aesthetics of the blade shape.

Yeah hurry up with the pics already!

ZT 0454, and a ton of discontinued Kershaw gems Here

Tanto Mini Cyclone for sale
    Uber rare Kershaw 1670 PRBLK Blur NIB for sale

Sounds awesome...just need pics now.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm61 View Post
    What would you guys think about a drop point "bushcraft" sized knife with a 4.25 inch blade in say .172-.180 inch CPM 3V, S35VN or maybe Elmax with full coverage (everything from the guard to the butt) 3D machined carbon fiber scales made from .250 stock with a kydex sheath? Do you think something like that would work in the $225-250 range?

Sounds like it's got definite possibilities.

It sounds like a great knife. Looking forward to seeing it.

Thread Information