Thread: tying the Canadian jam knot - alternate methods

tying the Canadian jam knot - alternate methods

ADVERTISEMENT
    There has been some discussion on tying knots on this board in the past, so I thought I'd post this here as well. I had been tying knots since cub scouts and never seen this knot until I came across a video by IAwoodsman on youtube. If you don't know the Canadian jam knot, it's a good one to learn. Quick, easy, and jams to bind things you want to keep together like lashings or bundles. It's like a quick and dirty constrictor knot.

Anyway...

This knot is just a noose with a stopper. So you can tie it like that.

Just a noose

with a stopper

Many of you have probably seen IAwoodsman's great videos on this knot either on youtube or another forum. The first vid is how I first learned this knot. When you tie it like this, you tie the stopper, then an overhand knot, and then slip the standing end through and pull it.
    Canadian Jam Knot 1 - YouTube
    Canadian Jam Knot Part 2 - YouTube

In case you haven't seen it, there is yet another way to tie it as shown by Mors Kochanski. Skip to 3:26 to see him tie it. This way doesn't require slipping the standing end all the way back through.
    Jam Knot - YouTube

Here's why this third method might be a good one to learn... you might have a big bundle or coil or long cord that you are working with, and it would be a hassle to to pull it all the way through.

For example, say you want to bind some bundles of aerator hose, and you have a wad of jute twine.

pull the twine through the bundle

tie the stopper knot

then tie an overhand knot around the standing part

tighten as always (see vid's above if you're unclear)

then lock it like mors did or do like me and just chop it off

works like a champ and saves your wad!

gratuitous knife shot

Use it or lose it. Hope it helps!

Nice, one of my most used and favourite knots, thanks for the post.

That is a good knot. I'd call it a 'packer's knot' because it is good for tying packages and bundles.

Instead of using an overhand knot for the noose eye, I sometimes use a slipped figure-8 knot. I find that the figure-8 stays in position without pulling the tail of the knot shorter (which seems to happen quite often when using synthetic cord)..... plus you can pull the tail end and the knot disappears. I use it for tying up the top of the dog food sack.

I like those nice slim knives. Very handy.

Here's a diagram of the slipped figure-8 version that I use. The illustration has been cropped from a bigger picture showing other knots.... that is why there are some odd lines at the top of the image. It is from a book I'm working on that is going to print soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    Nice, one of my most used and favourite knots, thanks for the post.
    Glad you liked it. I always think seeing multiple methods to tie the same knot is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coote View Post
    That is a good knot. I'd call it a 'packer's knot' because it is good for tying packages and bundles.... Here's a diagram of the slipped figure-8 version that I use. The illustration has been cropped from a bigger picture showing other knots.... that is why there are some odd lines at the top of the image. It is from a book I'm working on that is going to print soon.
    Cool. Looks like a nice variation and best of luck with your book!

Quote Originally Posted by coote View Post
    I like those nice slim knives. Very handy
    These 3 are all from makers here on Bladeforums. The one on the left is the one from the knot picture... it's by John of JK Knives. The middle one is a Koster shortness, and the one on the right is by Koyote knives.

Thread Information