Thread: I like the GEC Northwood bail

1. I like the GEC Northwood bail

ADVERTISEMENT
    I wasn't really fond of the bail at first but it's grown on me and I found a very good use for it today. How else can you remove your White Owl from a knife purse pouch??

I like a bail on some of my knives also. I just attach a lanyard of some type and drop it in my pocket. Easier access wothout sticking your whole hand in there. Especially if your mitt is caked with mud, fish slime, or whatever.
    Paul

3. I'm not the only one!

I tried the pouch with some of my other knives and I have trouble digging the knife out. With the White Owl's bail pointed out, I can pull the knife out with the pouch still clipped to my pocket.

Almost sounds like a confession, Jake.

I definitely recognize the advantages offered by bails but none of those advantages coincide with my carry methods. Perhaps some day I too will come to like them.
    Rick T.

5. Lol, Rick. I think it's because I bought a knife purse pouch. It's a Buck purse pouch though... that's OK... right??

Quote Originally Posted by supratentorial View Post
    Lol, Rick. I think it's because I bought a knife purse pouch. It's a Buck purse pouch though... that's OK... right??
    I think you caught my drift, Jake. LOL

It's a Buck purse pouch!? Well, that changes everything.
    Rick T.

Jake, I was so busy giving you a hard time that I didn't realize how convenient your set up really is. A pouch with a pocket clip that, because of the bail on the knife, stays in place when you take the knife out.

That's pretty slick!
    Rick T.

[Ahem]Northfield[/Ahem]

I love the bail on my White Owl. From the first time I saw pictures, it was a feature, not a bug. With its attached lanyard (which I often leave vertical, if not hanging out of my pocket) I can easily retrieve the knife without digging.

~ P.

I like bails too, probably because the old Scout patterns have 'em, which is my favorite pattern. So when is GEC gonna make a Scout...GEC are ya listening?

I have one of those clip pouches from my favorite traditionals dealer. So Buck makes them too? Gotta check that out, I like being able to just grab my knife rather than reaching into my pocket and around my bandanna...

-P, you are going to have to stop flashing pictures of that jigged bone white owl around. That thing is beautiful.

Jake, is that a forced or natural patina on yours? Beautiful as well!

11. P, The bail looks good on the Northfield too.

medicevans, I guess you could call the patina on the pen blade a little bit forced... I don't normally use a small pen blade for much that would cause a patina... but I used it the same as I would normally use the main blade until the color matched... I clean and wipe the blades down after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by medicevans View Post
    -P, you are going to have to stop flashing pictures of that jigged bone white owl around. That thing is beautiful.
    Thanks. It's my favorite knife, of many favorites. So very just right.

You may or may not have noticed that I haven't "flashed" it as often recently, in my adherence to Barlow Month-- even though I don't interpret the pattern o' the month to require exclusivity, I'm attempting that. Most days.

Wait, here's the owl again, with the white fuzzy inexpertly removed:

~ P.

13. zippofan, I think that the Buck pouch with clip may be discontinued. After a snafu with a reseller, I contacted Buck to see if I could buy one direct and they found one to sell to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    Wait, here's the owl again, with the white fuzzy inexpertly removed:
    I didn't even notice the darned thing until you mentioned it. Now it's gonna bug me every time I see this thread. Darn.
    Meh, I can deal with it since it's such a beautiful knife!
    I like the bail on my scout and demo patterns, because of the dirty hands delemma. almost any other pattern I don't carry while getting really dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by supratentorial View Post
    zippofan, I think that the Buck pouch with clip may be discontinued. After a snafu with a reseller, I contacted Buck to see if I could buy one direct and they found one to sell to me.
    Thanks Jake, I'll search around and see what I can dig up. The generic one I got from knifeswapper works nicely for some of my single blade patterns too, like my CSC Half Moon and Boker Copperliner.

Cheers,
    Griff

BTW, the stag on your Conductor is awesome!

Thread Information