Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Manix 2 XL

Spyderco Manix 2 XL

ADVERTISEMENT
    could i please get some opinions about the Spyderco Manix 2 XL . preferably from those who own or have used the knife

i want to buy my first spyderco and i like my knives on the bigger side. my regular EDC is a benchmade 275 adamas

If you want a bigger Spyderco knife, but aren't fond of their other larger offerings (e.g. Military or Police models).

This will most likely be the knife for you. Quite a comfy, ergonomic handle shape too.

It is a solidly-built knife. I wouldn't compare it to Zero Tolerance or other over-built knives though, as it is a precision slicer.

I understand that would you say the military is a stronger design

also how is lock compared to benchmade's axis

I've handled a Manix but found the locking mech much harder to work than my Axis lock knives. I much prefer the lock on my PM2.

what about the spyderco vallotton any thoughts on this knife

the ratchet action on that knife is SERIOUSLY cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJohn View Post
    I understand that would you say the military is a stronger design

also how is lock compared to benchmade's axis
    I would consider the Manix 2 XL to be the stronger design of the two because it has double liners, unlike the Military that has only one recessed liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy092 View Post
    the ratchet action on that knife is SERIOUSLY cool.
    If you are referring to the Vallotton, there is no ratchet on that knife.

The Vallotton is easily one of my favourite folders. It is overbuilt with a thick blade, coming to a tanto point. The best way to describe the Vallotton is beautifully finished and massive.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.F. View Post
    If you are referring to the Vallotton, there is no ratchet on that knife.

The Vallotton is easily one of my favourite folders. It is overbuilt with a thick blade, coming to a tanto point. The best way to describe the Vallotton is beautifully finished and massive.
    You're right, my bad. I have it confused with the Navaja.

I like a solidly built, and heavy, knife. The Manix 2 is both.

I highly recommend it. It's my personal favorite, but in all fairness my collection isn't that extensive, and I don't own a Para2.

this would be my first spyderco

I have four.

You won't be disappointed.

I bought one at the outlet store a few months ago. I went with the intent of picking up a Para 2, but in comparing them side-by-side I chose the Manix 2 xl. The handle is beefy and really ergonomic, with a host of grip enhancements. The blade is long and fantastically sharp, with plenty of slicing surface. I live in Colorado and often wear gloves while handling my knives, so a big handle and spidey-hole are attractive features. It's not incredibly heavy overall, but I am surprised that the steel liners aren't milled to save a little weight.

The ball-bearing lock is terrific, not quite as easily actuated as the axis on my well-worn 940, but what is?

The only real negative I have for it is that it rides a bit high in the pocket, and the model I have has a chrome clip. I would prefer deeper carry and a more discreet black clip.

It was a tough choice with the Para 2. I will probably get one of those too in the near future, but if you're a guy who appreciates a knife that is more substantial, the Manix won't dissappoint.

yeah thats exactly what i wanted to here thanks drvoxmentat. any vallotton reviews

Quote Originally Posted by drvoxmentat View Post
    It's not incredibly heavy overall, but I am surprised that the steel liners aren't milled to save a little weight.

The ball-bearing lock is terrific, not quite as easily actuated as the axis on my well-worn 940, but what is?

The latest production runs DO have milled liners, and most ppl say that the CBBL will loosen a bit, as it breaks in.
    I just got mine, so we'll see if mine does, but most seem to agree that it will...

how strong would you say the tip is on the Manix blade

Just got one a couple of months ago, my first Spyderco and I love it. It came sharper than any knife I've ever bought, great ergo's, and a1 materials for that price point. I can't see myself buying any folders for a long time. *edit* It does ride really high in the pocket though, the only drawback IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJohn View Post
    how strong would you say the tip is on the Manix blade
    Not a knife you want to stab into a log but I've had no problems drilling with it, and slicing through wires at work.

I just got a used Vallotton here off the forums. It is a BEAST! I was not expecting such an over built knife in such a elegant package. Grab one while you can.. the Manix will always be around. But get a Manix at some point. I'd go with the standard as you don't get a thicker blade with the XL.. just a longer blade.
    Wannabe Rookie Bladesmith

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...2#post11061002

I posted that just recently. Exact same topic - except from reverse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information