Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help choosing new kitchen knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    The knives I mentioned take care of about 98% of my cutting chores in the kitchen, And I do sharpen my own knives ,,I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and a small v shaped crock sharpener which I used to sharpen my old kitchen knives.I'm not too good with a stone.

Quote Originally Posted by 11tonytiger View Post
    I'm not too good with a stone.
    THIS ought to help out a bit.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Thanks FortyTwoBlades for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Have a decent gyuto by Fujiwara for some $75. It's the only knife you really need.
    I will vouch for that knife ALL the time. It takes a scary sharp edge and keeps it. You need to be careful of chipping the edge. You can't use typical 'french' style knife skills as they can wreck the edge.

I also use a Shun 3.5" pairing knife (LOVE this knife) and a MAC santoku. With those three knives, you can tackle anything.

+1 for Vic/Forschner. Excellent knives for a cheap price. A lot of commercial kitchens use these.

<deal spot removed>
    Last edited by Morrow; 08-10-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timbit View Post
    I will vouch for that knife ALL the time. It takes a scary sharp edge and keeps it. You need to be careful of chipping the edge. You can't use typical 'french' style knife skills as they can wreck the edge.

I also use a Shun 3.5" pairing knife (LOVE this knife) and a MAC santoku. With those three knives, you can tackle anything.

+1 for Vic/Forschner. Excellent knives for a cheap price. A lot of commercial kitchens use these.
    If you hear a knife touching the board it's rather German, not exactly French, but I might be somewhat prejudiced..,

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    If you hear a knife touching the board it's rather German, not exactly French, but I might be somewhat prejudiced..,
    Of course I meant German technique, not knives...

Yeah--French method is a gliding slice, if I remember correctly. Can't stand seeing straight chops. The *thunk* of the edge impacting the board makes me cringe.

— Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by 11tonytiger View Post
    Just curious what commercial type knives you are talking about at Sam's.
    The white handled ones are made by Baker's & Chef's. They look like Dexters and/or Victorinox. Stamped blade of high carbon German steel. On their website I saw something similar by Clauss.

These sort of knives will be balanced differently than the ones you currently have, but if you don't mind using that sharpener of yours and don't mind the feel of a stamped knife, they'll probably be every bit as good as your current set.

And at $10-$15 a knife, you won't have wasted a bunch of money. I still catch myself grabbing my $10 Victorinox poultry knife every chance I can (it's not built for dicing veggies, but it'll work a chicken over like nobody's business).

Since I first chimed in, it looks like H.Dick, also of Germany, seem similar to Forschner. I will be giving those a looksee as well. Same price point more or less, similar handle choices, same German stainless steel families.

Friedrich Dick makes some great stuff. I find them more ergonomic than Victorinox/Forschner with better edge retention and spot-on overall geometry--both in profile and cross section. I'm a big fan of their ProDynamic and ErgoGrip lines. Here's a photo from the holiday weekend. Skinned, gutted, and processed a rabbit with their ErgoGrip "Lamb Skinner".

394458_437583276283138_159018897_n.jpg

— Mervyn Peake

No body really talks about this, but lately, IMHO, the best bang for your buck in kitchen knives is ( & i hate to say it) Wal-Marts Paula Dean Santoku set. Less than twenty for 2. Once sharpened properly, they are excellent. I have been giving them as gifts to some of my friends. They love them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information