Thread: CQC-7V- What a knife!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up CQC-7V- What a knife!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ever since (stupidly) getting rid of my Micro Commander, I had been feeling the need to get another Emerson. While I was in California two weeks ago, I stopped by Plaza Cutlery to check out a true knife store (we have nothing even CLOSE to a store like that in NY). After drooling over all the amazing customs they had, I made it a point to look at their selection of Emersons before I left. After handling a few different models, I was torn between a Horseman and the CQC-7V but the 7V just spoke to me. I never really paid much attention to the normal CQC-7 because of the chisel grind and as a result, I never even bothered handling one or really looking into it. Let me tell you, getting this one in hand sold me. I happily paid for it, fondled it a bit more and shipped it home, eagerly awaiting to get back to it. Now that I've had a few days to mess with it and carry it, I love it even more. The only thing I had to do to it was clean out the factory grease since it was a little gritty. Now that's its rocking some Tuf-Glide, it's buttery smooth. Operationally, it's perfect- solid lock-up, smooth disengagement (after a bit of a break in period), and a centered blade. Not to mention this one waves open even better than my MC did. The grinds are beautiful with the dual-tone stonewash/satin finish and the Afghan tan looks great as well. This one is a winner all around in my book. I can't believe I didn't buy one sooner. I know the CQC-7's are highly praised but now I really understand why!

Beautiful knife. I just sold mine to fund another purchase and have been regretting it ever since....

Blog Entries
    That stinks. Hopefully you can grab another one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOpPoInT1110 View Post
    That stinks. Hopefully you can grab another one eventually.
    Believe me, I've been looking....
    If/when the next production batch is released I'll probably grab one. And KEEP it!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good idea haha. When I bought mine, Plaza had a few of them in stock that I picked from. If you give them a call, they may still have them. Best of luck with your search!

You now own an instant classic.

Blog Entries
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you chimed in here Rolf.

Sold my cqc 7 it has the ergonomics of a brick..bought a manix 2 much better feel..locks into your hand same steel not as thick in the pocket..zip tie made it waveable and much cheaper than a cqc 15 that has similar ergos..

Blog Entries
    I will admit, the ergos are one of the things that could be improved. Although it doesn't feel terrible in hand IMO. If Emerson makes a SOCFK in a V-grind, I'd definitely buy one. It's essentially the 7 with a more ergonomic handle.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOpPoInT1110 View Post
    I will admit, the ergos are one of the things that could be improved. Although it doesn't feel terrible in hand IMO. If Emerson makes a SOCFK in a V-grind, I'd definitely buy one. It's essentially the 7 with a more ergonomic handle.
    The ergos don't LOOK special but the 7V feels absolutely terrific in hand. At least IMO.

I love my 7V as well. My hand really likes the feel of the handle. I'm becoming very addicted to Emerson knives.

Quote Originally Posted by AR_Shorty View Post
    I love my 7V as well. My hand really likes the feel of the handle. I'm becoming very addicted to Emerson knives.
    God I hear ya! I'm jonesing so bad for some sort of commander that I'm considering pulling the trigger on a super commander even though it's probably too big for me to carry. Either that or a combo edged mini.

I have one here NIB, the CQC-7V. It is a nice knife. I haven't carried it, but I might sometime. I like Ernie's knives and wish I had more.
    Sonny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnydaze View Post
    I have one here NIB, the CQC-7V. It is a nice knife. I haven't carried it, but I might sometime. I like Ernie's knives and wish I had more.
    Sonny
    If you haven't gotten it fully broken in yet, DO SO! It's so much once that lock bar settles in and the action smooths out. I'm very impressed with it. As far as ergos though, I think the knife looks bad ass but I have other knives that feel better in hand. Again though, the 7 by no means is uncomfortable to me.

Adam- NEVER sell it because you will just get another. I KNOW!!

Hello !
    Do you know where i can buy a CQC-7V, they seems to be unavailable ?
    Thank you

Speaking to the Ergos, I love the CQC-7 Ergos. They're equivalent to my Para 2's ergos in my hand. Neither is perfect, but they're both darn good. The Para 2 is too thin for my taste in the hand and doesn't quite feel perfect in any grip, but feels pretty good in all. The 7 has fewer grips to worry about but fills the hand more which I LOVE. I also love how simple the handle design is. I've never been too big a fan of choils, I just want a nice simple handle and as much sharp edge as I can get and the 7 has it so I can overlook the slight imperfections in ergos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    Adam- NEVER sell it because you will just get another. I KNOW!!
    I am definitely holding onto this one. It's a PERFECT example of an Emerson.

Quote Originally Posted by belerofon26 View Post
    Hello !
    Do you know where i can buy a CQC-7V, they seems to be unavailable ?
    Thank you
    Keep on eye on the bay or maybe send plaza cutlery an email and ask if they'll ship to France. They had a few as I stated earlier. Good luck!

Thread Information