Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sharpening System for under 100?

Best Sharpening System for under 100?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm looking for a sharpening system that is under 100 and works well! thanks

Spyderco Sharpmaker all the way!

alaways worked great for me

I've been using the spyderco sharpmaker with great results. It has settings for the factory angles of my main users (30 and 40 degrees). I think I paid around $50 for it.

I have a sharpmaker, but I've never warmed up to it. I certainly don't get the results from it that I hear others getting.

Sharpmaker, paper wheels, belt sander. All have their place.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

A traditional dual grit bench stone, your two hands, and practice practice practice! But the Sharpmaker is a very good system if your looking for that sort.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Spyderco ceramic stones, wet/dry sandpaper in different grits, leather strop and polishing compound. Practice a lot.

I've gone through many sharpening gadgets, nothing is as versatile as freehand sharpening. I camp, hunt and hike a lot, most sharpening jigs are just too big and heavy to carry in the field, I just pack a strop and some sandpaper (sometimes a small diamond stone) and I'm all set.

Dmt aligner gets my vote. You wouldn't think so but I get these types of results every single time, with any steel, whittles hair effortlessly, and even bevels on both sides

Quote Originally Posted by 23xdm3.8 View Post
    Dmt aligner gets my vote. You wouldn't think so but I get these types of results every single time, with any steel, whittles hair effortlessly, and even bevels on both sides
    Is there a model that you recommend?

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
    Spyderco ceramic stones, wet/dry sandpaper in different grits, leather strop and polishing compound. Practice a lot.

I've gone through many sharpening gadgets, nothing is as versatile as freehand sharpening. I camp, hunt and hike a lot, most sharpening jigs are just too big and heavy to carry in the field, I just pack a strop and some sandpaper (sometimes a small diamond stone) and I'm all set.
    +1000

DMT Deluxe Aligner Kit, hands down. Or Sharpmaker for quick touch ups (not good for dull blades or reprofiling jobs).

Quote Originally Posted by newknife View Post
    Is there a model that you recommend?
    Get the DMT Deluxe Aligner Kit and get the Extra Extra Fine stone separately. http://www.knifeworks.com/dmtdeluxea...it4stones.aspx

http://www.knifeworks.com/dmt4replac...extrafine.aspx

Wow dude, I had never even heard of that system. That seems like one hell of a value, I'll definitely pick one up! Thanks for the recommendation, 23xdm3.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Manix2 View Post
    Wow dude, I had never even heard of that system. That seems like one hell of a value, I'll definitely pick one up! Thanks for the recommendation, 23xdm3.8.
    Make sure you get the one with all 4 stones. (and buy the extra extra fine that i've linked in my post above. It makes a huge difference)

cheers!

Impressive. I just ordered one today What is your final stone/grit to get such a polished edge?
    Last edited by wdtorque; 07-17-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by wdtorque View Post
    Impressive. I just ordered one today What is your final stone/grit to get sure a polished edge?
    I'd like to see a demonstration video... looks like a great alternative to an edgepro. I can't get anything like that on a sharpmaker.

That's a beaut!! Love how you brushed the blade and pivot bolt, looks like the liners too! How about a full pic of that beast it looks sweet, not to mention that awesome mirrored edge you attained...

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dweller View Post
    That's a beaut!! Love how you brushed the blade and pivot bolt, looks like the liners too! How about a full pic of that beast it looks sweet, not to mention that awesome mirrored edge you attained...
    +1. Sorry to bug you with this, I was actually going to PM you, but I'd love to see some more pics of this knife because I've actually been wanting to pick up a Blem ZT 0300 and do this to the blade and pivot and possibly do some other sorts of mods on it. Make it a project knife. This makes me want to do it even more

As for the sharpening system, I'd try to find a well priced used Edge Pro Apex and just spring a little more cash if needed. I started out with this same type of question and ultimately I ended up with about a $400 Wicked Edge system setup LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information