Thread: carbon steel mora has a stainless outer layer?

carbon steel mora has a stainless outer layer?

ADVERTISEMENT
    the mora robust is only my 2nd carbon steel mora and i noticed how shiny and slippery the finish is for such a low-cost knife. on closer inspection, i noticed the spine has a small area that's just as shiny and slippery as the sides. could it be that it has a stainless outer layer? hard to believe someone would mirror-polish the sides, let alone a piece of the spine too for such a low cost knife. i'm thinking it's a flap that folded over from the side...thoughts?

I think that's just an artifact of the stamping process and may be where some material was proud of the acceptable spine level and was ground down.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

If you want to know, hit it with some vinegar or metal etch (jasco, 'metal prep' phosphoric acid, or various other acidic compounds), or lemon juice. All will etch the carbon faster than the stainless. If it's even top to bottom and no lamination line shows up, it's all carbon.

Of course you'll then have an etched blade, no longer shiny and polished.

It's carbon all the way through and it is mirror polished when made. How they do this with $5-6 knives (price in Sweden) is a good question, but they do that and much more and that's why we love them like we do.

i see...thanks guys!

Thread Information