Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good movies?

Good movies?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Any good movies to recommend? I was reading the best knife fight in a movie thread and am going to the video rental place tomorrow and rather than spending twenty minutes staring at the shelves I would try and get some suggestions.

I loved The Man From Nowhere. The Raid Redemption is coming out Aug. 16. To make it so it is not all fighting I guess I'll go with A Perfect World.

City of Lost Children, the original Le Femme Nakita, and turning in my man card with Amele (good one for date night).

Leon the Proffesional, the original The Italian Job (michael Cain, Benny Hill), and along those lines the original Oceans 11 with Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by De Plano; 07-18-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: thought of a few more

The Raid: Redemption definitely has some of the best knife fighting scenes in any movie ever.

Yeah, I am thinking of preordering that one.

I am not just looking for knife fights, just good movies. Older ones, foreign, or just off the radar enough that they don't automatically come to mind.

The Princess Bride: Good swordfighting, very funny, and best of all Andre the Giant cast as . . . . you guessed it, the Giant.

Ahh yess. I do not think that means what you think that means.

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/10_06...dre_giant.html

ANDRE!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion

Currently in Red Box, "Some Guy Who Kills People", is a very good dark comedy that focuses on a series of brutal murders which occur in a small (mayberry-like) town after one of its residents is released from an insane asylum. The movie doesn't allow its low budget to get in the way of the fun. This is a real sleeper with a lot of excellent gags, an interesting and refreshing script, and some very good acting from a largely unknown cast. A very pleasant surprise.

n2s
    Tagline:
    There is no good, no evil, no saints, no demons; There are just ordinary people making ordinary choices.

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    I just saw Act of Valor, pretty good. The SEALS aren't thespians, but they did a better job than I thought they would do.

The Departed is a great movie, don't know about Infernal Affairs, the movie it was based on, but the Departed is one I can watch over and over again.

More movies that have that twist at the end:

Usual Suspects (one of the endings that knocked me on my butt, almost literally, and everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "Kaiser Soze, Kaiser Soze!");

The Prestige (good old parlor tricks a lot safer than "fringe" technology);

Inception (was he or wasn't he...).

There are a lot of other thrillers out there with a similar premise.

If you can find a copy, A High Art (Sometimes titled differently) is interesting. IMDB lists it as A Grande Arte. Peter Coyote.
    The whole thing is on YouTube, but the quality is poor.

Gladiator

N2s have you seen God Bless America? Low budget movie that was pretty good. Pacing was a tad slow at points but still pretty good

I will check out The Prestige and Act of Valor. I will try and track down A Grande Arte.

Thanks everone for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post
    N2s have you seen God Bless America? Low budget movie that was pretty good. Pacing was a tad slow at points but still pretty good
    Yes, I saw that one. A good movie and an excellent lighthearted over-the-top critique on how the mass media perverts our perception of reality. I also note that both of these movies have child actors who actually can act in roles that are well developed; it is a very refreshing change from the idiotic, helpless, whiny, foul mouthed, screamers that seem the standard role for most child actors these days (e.g. Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds 2005).

n2s
    Tagline:
    There is no good, no evil, no saints, no demons; There are just ordinary people making ordinary choices.

A couple movies I can watch over and over are
    Goodfellas and rio bravo ! Both great movies !

Frank

The original "Antartica". It is Japanese, and Peta has tried to have it banned. It is the film "Eight Below" was based on.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was an excellent movie.

Blog Entries
    I watched City Of God last night
    Great movie, if you don't mind subtitles....

City of God was a great movie. Bang Bang Club was decent, had that in my last stack. It is about South African photographers
    Last edited by De Plano; 07-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.

The last good movie I rented was Law Abiding Citizen. Had to rent it again and liked it both times.

Ever daydreamed of what you might do to someone if they attacked and killed your loved ones? This guy gets revenge and then some. Good movie.
    Rick T.

Stay away from "Seeking a friend for the end of the world". The film is a bit schizophrenic; it wants to funny at times (sadly, not very funny) and sad/poignant the rest of the time (most of the film). I left the film desperately needing a hug and a stiff drink.

I am a "manly" man but I cry like a baby at the end of "Big Fish". The father/son relationship dynamic hits extremely close for me. Give it a try.

The Demons series by Dario Argento, the first one is the best, both are classics in horror.
    Also can't beat the Evil Dead series by Sam Raimi.

Probably the best movie I took in recently was Lindsay Anderson's If..... I had seen O Lucky Man! a few years prior, also good. Just need to take in Britannia Hospital to round out the Mick Travers trilogy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information