Thread: XM-18 & 24 Scales

Question XM-18 & 24 Scales

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've got my first Hinderer, an XM24 on the way. Its come with the carbon fibre scale, which I think looks great. What scale is more suited to hard use, the carbon fibre or G10?

Obviously the titanium scales are the strongest. Could someone please let me know how much the ti scale weighs, compared to the ti liner and G10, or ti liner and carbon fibre scale? I'm interested in these comparisons for both the XM-24 or XM-18 3.5", as I plan to get both eventually.

2. I've had several Ti and G10 scales for my XM knives, but never a carbon fiber one. Generally speaking, carbon fiber can be smooth/slick - I'd tend to speculate that a G10 XM would be easier to hang on to than one with a carbon fiber scale - I could be wrong.

The Ti scales are pretty to look at, but add a noticeable amount of weight (precisely how much I'm uncertain) to an already not light knife.

In short, I don't think you can go wrong with G10 if you're looking for a hard user knife.

Quote Originally Posted by FolderFreaker View Post
    I've got my first Hinderer, an XM24 on the way. Its come with the carbon fibre scale, which I think looks great. What scale is more suited to hard use, the carbon fibre or G10?

Obviously the titanium scales are the strongest. Could someone please let me know how much the ti scale weighs, compared to the ti liner and G10, or ti liner and carbon fibre scale? I'm interested in these comparisons for both the XM-24 or XM-18 3.5", as I plan to get both eventually.
    I have and like all three(3) never weighed them, didn't really find the weight to be much of an issue. I would opt (if I had to choose) for G10 on a Hard use XM. As usual, Rick/Rob anticipated and chose appropriately. The G10 balances and delivers on all eventualities (weight, grip, temperature variance, durability and economics) it's just a good all around choice. I swapped scales for aesthetics but continue to swap around now for variety.
    I was deprived as a child () so these are my "Transformers".

I'm assuming because you said the carbon fiber on your inbound 24 "looks great" that it is smooth carbon fiber. The textured carbon is much, much, much, much grippier than smooth.

G10 for the win in a hard user as you mentioned. The G10 is easier to find than Ti, so you can swap immediately. Can always seek the Ti and try it later.

If by some rare chance you destroy the G10, replace it and start again.

Ti is awesome, adds a little heft, and looks great. Turns heads and pegs the jealously meter.
    But smooth is not as grippy as textured and textured Ti is not as grippy as textured G10 or carbon fiber. The edges of the grip pattern on texture G10 and carbon fiber are slightly sharper than those on texture Ti and provide a noticable difference.

Oh, the difference in weight is not substantial. I have not weighed the parts and pieces, just swapped and use.

We're not talking race cars and rocket ships, the weight difference is minuscule and will not weigh down your loadout in any significant way if you swap G10 or carbon fiber with Ti liner for a solid Ti scale.

Hi, just thought I'd add my experience with G10 and carbon fiber.

I find G10 tends to discolour over time and use, it will still function just fine but aesthetically it tends to look faded and wear smooth on the edges.

Carbon fiber is more robust in that it maintains its aesthetics and appears to not fade. As for wear, I'm not sure yet but I expect it will be much on par with G10, maybe better.

Currently the carbon scales run at $100 wheas the G10 is $65.

If your after a hard user, I'd go G10 - who cares about a bit of fading in 12 months time and at only $65 and one of the few Hinderer products which are readily available it is easy and cheap to replace.

But! for aesthetics, I'm a carbon fiber guy.

Thanks for all your experience so far guys, please keep it coming. And yes, my CF scale is smooth.

Jaytaylor, awesome photo, thankyou. Is that from top to bottom textured cf, smooth cf and frag pattern G10?

Quote Originally Posted by FolderFreaker View Post
    Thanks for all your experience so far guys, please keep it coming. And yes, my CF scale is smooth.

Jaytaylor, awesome photo, thankyou. Is that from top to bottom textured cf, smooth cf and frag pattern G10?
    Thanks, the last scale is fragged carbon fiber, you're right on the other two.

Textured carbon
    Smooth carbon
    Fragged carbon

Thread Information